The Peace Palace (Vredespaleis) is a building often called the seat of international law because it houses the International Court of Justice (which is the principal judicial body of the United Nations), the Permanent Court of Arbitration, the Hague Academy of International Law, and the extensive Peace Palace Library.
The idea of the Palace started from a discussion in 1900 between the Russian diplomat Friedrich Martens and the US diplomat Andrew White, over providing a home for the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA. White contacted his friend the philanthropist Andrew Carnegie about this idea.
To find a suitable design, the foundation called for an open international competition. The winning design, set in the Neo-Renaissance style.