The Hague Restaurants

Cafe counter

Most Recent Restaurants in The Hague

3Stones Kenyan Restaurant: Excellent Kenyan Food in The Hague

by longsanborn Written May 29, 2014

Went to try out this restaurant recently, because my friend and I wanted to try African food. Search on TripAdvisor and this restaurant came to be one of the best. I was quite skeptical about the place at first because I've had unpleasant past experience with African restaurants. However, 3stones Restaurant changed my mind immediately. The food (fusion of African and lots of Indian influences) was very delicious and the service was friendly and good. The staffs explained that the food will be prepared fresh and will take some time to be served. Yet I got my starter and appetizer within 10-15 minutes after ordering, so the wait was not bad. When the main meal finally arrived, we were very appreciative of the yummy dishes that was served to us. Overall, we had a pleasant time. The friendly staffs and free Wifi made up for the slightly long wait, but if you are not in a hurry, and when you have good company, the wait for the food is not too bad. Plus they have nice cocktails and mocktails for you to try. In addition, you are bring your own wines too; they will charge low corkage fee.

3stones restaurant waiting time was not too bad. I've been to other few African restaurants in the past where I only got my food 2 hours after ordering!! I would definite recommend this place to my friends and I will return there again.

Opening hours: Wed-Sat: 18:00 - 22:00 (kitchen open until 21:30)
    Sun: 18:00 - 21:30 (kitchen open until 21:00)
    Lunch - Wed-Fri: 11:30 - 14:30

Favorite Dish: We ordered the Big Five Set Menu, which comprised starter fruit drinks, Sambusa appetizer, main meal of 5 dishes (lamb, beef and chicken curries/stews and vegetables) with Chapati and Steam Rice, followed by desserts and coffee/tea. We had so much food, we had to pack away the leftovers.

SET Japanese Restaurant: Will add to my favorite Japanese place

by longsanborn Updated May 29, 2014

I've been in The Hague for over 2 years & I didn't know about this Japanese restaurant until a friend suggested to meet here. He said that this restaurant is authentically Japanese as possible - he's been to Japan for few weeks recently. Anyway I was impressed with the good selection in the menu. I especially like the Bento sets, sushi starters & noodles variations. The food was good & delicious. The service was good & the staffs friendly & attentive. The spacious restaurant is nicely decorated in Japanese style. I will go again to try the noodles & hot-pot (shabu shabu).

Favorite Dish: All kinds of Sushi and Sashimi, Tempura prawns, and Teriyaki chicken

Du Passage: Enjoyable Dinner in The Passage Shopping Mall

by longsanborn Written May 29, 2014

Very nice little restaurant in The Passage, a covered shopping street/mall with specialist shops and boutiques. I went there for dinner with Groupon voucher for 3-course meal. I ordered the asparagus cream soup, Mexican beef burger and creme brulee dessert. The soup was too creamy for me, but the beef burger and dessert were great. Tasted delicious and generous portions. The service was also very good and quick. I enjoyed my dinner, even though I was dining alone. The waitresses were really friendly and made my evening enjoyable. I sat in their outdoor dining area, and enjoyed watching people walked by, or shopping or looking at the shops in The Passage.
    Price was reasonable for the generous portions (although a bit on high side) but it is located in a prime location of The Hague. I will certainly return to Du Passage again to try their other dishes or just to relax with a drink to watch people go by.

Koetjes & Kalfjes Den Haag: Nice Tasty Food, Good Service and Cozy Ambience

by longsanborn Written May 29, 2014

First time we went to this restaurant was in October 2013 for our usual monthly Ladies Night. We had a Groupon dinner voucher for 4, and we had a 4-course dinner which we could select from their regular Menu. We find the interior decor to be modern, chic, nicely decorated, good ambience, and very cozy.

Incidentally, we had also returned to this restaurant again in January 2014, also with a Groupon Voucher 4-course dinner for 4. Again, we had good food and good time at this place. Not sure why other patrons experienced poor to average food and service here. So far, my friends and I had good food and service. Perhaps it is because we went on a week night and not the weekend. Perhaps now the restaurant has hired better chefs who can cook delicious food.

Lunch: Friday and Saturday from 12:00 and Sunday from 13:00 hours
    Dinner: Monday to Sunday from 17:30 hours
    High Tea: Friday to Sunday from 14:00 to 17:00 hours
    High Wine: Friday to Sunday from 15:00 to 18:00 hours

Favorite Dish: Service was attentive and friendly. The food was good and delicious. Two of us had grilled Steak, cooked medium rare, as I've requested. My other friends had grilled fish fillet and also cooked to perfection. Overall, we had a good time at this restaurant.

Flavour's: Dutch popular eateries

by Rosey-K Updated Mar 13, 2014

Quite a narrow restaurant with simple furnishing.

Warm atmosphere with chandeliers dim lights.

Fast and warm service from the waitress.

Heard that it is best to make a reservation if wanted to dine here, and we did.

They also cater lunch and breakfast.

Favorite Dish: Like the Mix Grill which look so appetising.

Like the freshness of those prawns with piri-piri, but it was a bit salty, thus drank plenty of water when I reached home. Another minus point, the dipping sauce that served with this dish wasn't compliment to those prawns.

LIke their dessert Bastogneij ice-cream.

• Work Abroad

• De Nieuwe Veenmolen: Unique experience!

by Ivo_K Updated Jan 2, 2014

This unique restaurant for private dining for companies from 8 to 40 people is located in a perfectly maintained Dutch watermill that was built in 1625 year! Unfortunately, we visited it in the evening and it was too dark for taking photos of the mill from outside...What I really like apart from the unique interior of an old mill is the fact that according to their rules only one company can use at a time the restaurant for lunch or dinner. The guests are invited to climb up the mill and get a quick guided tour with explanation on the mill origin and its use. We had a welcome drink at the mezzanine of the mill, the owners told us that also have a beautiful garden that could be used during the warm months of the year, but since we were there in November we couldn't use it anyway. We had a ready menu with a choice to make among 2-3 options for starters, soups, main dishes and desserts, everything was looking and tasting perfect. The restaurant is run by a family and the service was also of very high quality, the prices are affordable, there is also a free parking accommodating 18 cars for the guests of the restaurant. I really had a great time and would highly recommend this unique venue to all the people living in or visiting the Hague!

View at the first floor from above The restaurant interior The tasty bread One of the main courses One of the desserts
    • Museum Visits

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

Cafe van Beek: Steak-Centric Pub

by nicolaitan Written Nov 16, 2013

Conveniently located between the historic center and the train station, Cafe Van Beek was a welcome respite from inclement weather. Alone among the restaurants we checked out en route, this place was filled with diners, the best recommendation. Apparently in business for at least 15 years, there is very little in the way of internet information and reviews and there is no menu or website. Decor is basic bar and grill, could have been anywhere in the world. Service was efficient if nothing else, a little slow, perhaps not so many tourists stop here.

The menu covered a broad range but was heavily beef oriented and we had some very good properly grilled steaks with good roast potatoes, accompanied by probably the best vodka we encountered in The Netherlands. Portions were large, prices reasonable. Cafe Van Beek is in no way exceptional but certainly a decent choice when in the area.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Konditorei Vienna: Another Place For An Afternoon Beer

by johngayton Written Oct 11, 2013

Although I just dropped in for an afternoon beer I kinda liked the location of this cafe/ice-cream place. Indoors there are only 22 seats but the terrace, in the triangular "square" of Plaats, is a pleasantly shady location, just a stone's throw from the Binnenhof.

This is a daytime only cafe with a selection of ice-creams and a short snack menu. If I remember correctly beer was reasonably cheap, service pleasant and swift and considering its central position it was surprisingly uncrowded.

• Hiking and Walking

• johngayton's Profile Photo

De Haagsche Kluis: As Good A Place As Any For Your Beer Nibbles!

by johngayton Updated Oct 11, 2013

With the sun shining for the first time for weeks every cafe terrace in the city was doing a roaring trade. I'd done most of my wandering for the afternoon and I'd definitely worked up a thirst. So it simply a matter of finding a suitable free space in the sun for well-deserved beer.

The terrace here at De Haagsche Kluis had one, and one only, vacant table, facing onto the main square as I passed which made my decision instantaneously simple. I was in a nibbly mood, having breakfasted at my houseboat B&B in Arnhem, caught my first New Season Hareng Broodje in Amsterdam, followed by a croquet for lunch later. With a few more beers on the agenda I reckoned a plate of Borrel Hapjes would suit and so beer and nibbles it was to be.

This is something the Dutch do exceeding well, and here at De Haagsche Kluis was no exception. A substantial platter of deep-fried bitterballen, croquets and something Oriental came with nibbles of cheese, olives and salted roasted nuts which for something like 6 euros was excellent value. A couple of accompanying beers added another 8 and the prime front table was a priceless bonus.

Just as a matter of interest the name means "The Haag's Safe" which refers to a strongroom installed in the basement when the house was built by a local merchant in 1905. The safe is part of the kitchen's stores these days and has its original door. It can be visited on the annual "Open Monument Day".

• Hiking and Walking
    • Beer Tasting

• Grand Café Restaurant Toff Scheveningen: Nice cafe/restaurant next to the Pier!

by Ivo_K Written Oct 10, 2013

Located on the famous Scheveningen boulevard right next to the beach and opposite the Pier, Toff is the place to enjoy a delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner with good as size portions. Opened 7 days a week all year round and offering a very relaxed and cool atmosphere/interior, nice, but not very long menu with a focus on Asian food and a view at the wide beach, the beautiful sea and the famous Pier of Scheveningen. On weekends there are DJs and live music, so you can also dance. The venue has some tables for smokers right next to the door. The staff is kind and the food was prepared quickly, prices are average - for a light dinner for 3 people with some beers (they have several on tap) and two glasses of white wine we paid 80 EUR.

Favorite Dish: Rendang (tender stewed beef with Indonesian spices & pickles, served with rice) and their Fetakaas Salade Vegetarisch (mixed salad with black olives, sweet peppers, tomato, cucumber, feta cheese & croutons)

The interior Another view at the interior by evening Some of the beers we ordered Rendang Fetakaas Salade Vegetarisch
    • Spa and Resort
    • Windsurfing

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

De Eeuwige Jachtvelden: Cosy Stop

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 17, 2013

Wooden floor, great bar, cosy corners, great pub food and a terrace.

The above are enough reason to have a stopover at De Eeuwige Jachtvelden.

Dinner reservations recommended.

Su: 10AM - 1AM

De Eeuwige Jachtvelden - Den Haag De Eeuwige Jachtvelden - Winter Menu

Restaurant Golden Ship: Chinese Dim Sum

by Rosey-K Updated Jun 20, 2013

Latest Notice: (formerly this restaurant was Restaurant Long Ting,)

This Long Tin restaurant has been renovated and now officially opened for business and called Restaurant Golden Ship.

The interior has been re-newed, it looked so fresh, bright and brand new. Service was good, food also tasted good.

Highly recommended.

They have renovated and renew the interior of the previous restaurant.

Now it is more brighter and spacious with its new furniture and fitting.

Opening time:12.00 noon

Latest update: Promotional dim sum for lunch starting from 12.00noon to 17.00 at the price for euro3.00 per dish. (Mon to Fri)

On top of this they also give 5.6% discount on the total bill at the moment.

Favorite Dish: Any dishes with fresh prawns and squid (ink vis), and their dim sum.

They have a few different dim sum (sweet type) on their menu.

The dim sum are fresh and delicious.

The new interior of the restaurant Dim sum Freshly made soup dumplings. Succulent roasted Peking duck with rolls. Fried sui gau.
    • Study Abroad
    • Business Travel

Havenpaleis Scheveningen: Seafood by the seaside

by Rosey-K Written May 13, 2013

Interior is new, with glass walls overlook the second harbour of Scheveningen.

Very pretty.

You can choose to sit upstair to admire the seaview better and get some sun shine when the weather is good and Sunny.

Service was prompt.

Favorite Dish: Lovely fish and chips, and their beef burger was good too if you don't fancy seafood.

Fish and beef burger. The restaurant downstair. Where we order our food. This device is unique, find out for yourself. The seaview - over looking harbour.
    • Beaches
    • Water Sports

The Thai Box: Thai cuisine

by Rosey-K Written May 13, 2013

This restaurant was previously occupied by Dim Daily which was closed since last year.

The interior deco has been changed a bit to match the Thai style.

Waitress is friendly and fast.

The main course, Kaeng Kari Kai (chicken curry) and Pad Thai Kai (fried noodles) were so-so only.

A bit disappointed as we thought it says 'Eat in or take out, come and Judge" slogan didn't serve the purpose.

Favorite Dish: The starter which we order, chicken satay was good and tasty.

The price for our lunch for 2 persons is a bit pricey.

• Business Travel

• leics's Profile Photo

Hollandse Nieuwe Haring ..possibly.: This is not a restaurant!

by leics Updated Apr 14, 2013

I don't think Hollandse Nieuwe Haring is actually the name of this particular stall: it's just what it sells (along with other fishy snacks).

But it was very busy indeed with local people (I visited around lunchtime) which is always a very good sign.

I'd already decided to try a maatje herring and onion roll on this visit to the Netherlands, and here was my chance: I was hungry and the stall was right in front of me. They sold lots and lots of fishy snacks, hot and cold, but it was the herring-and-onion roll I wanted (2.50 euro on the day).

I cannot describe quite how glorious the herring was. The bread roll was soft, the onion (chopped finely) was mild and the herring literally melted in my mouth. A wonderful combination of tastes and textures which has left me with a craving for more.

Maatje herring is very young herring, served raw but ripened' in brine for a few days. That makes it both incredibly soft and incredibly mild in flavour...and not salty at all. The Dutch invented (or, more likely, 'developed') the process in Medieval times. Nowadays, EU regulations require that the fish is also frozen at -20C for at least 24 hours, in order to kill off potential parasites, so what was originally an early-summer-only treat can be enjoyed all year round.

If you like fish..and especially if you like sushi..I do heartily recommend that you try maatje herring, preferably in a roll and with chopped onion (you'll find stalls in Dutch towns other than Den Haag, of course). It is simply wonderful!

The stall. The herring roll.
    • Singles

Instant Answers: The Hague

Comments

The Hague Restaurants

Reviews and photos of The Hague restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for The Hague sightseeing.