Places to eat in Netherlands

De Kajuit - Menu
    by Airpunk

Most Viewed Restaurants in Netherlands

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

New York Diner: And then I found cheese cake again!!!!

by Nathalie_B Written Mar 28, 2004

It became my "hobby" to search for cheese cake in The Netherlands. Another place that serves my favorite cake is located in The Hague.
    New York Diner serves muffins, bagels, hamburgers, even eggs benedict for breakfast... well, simply imagine typical diner in the US just a bit smaller.

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Koekela: Finally I found cheese cake!!!

by Nathalie_B Updated Jan 11, 2004

So far, looks like all the food I was looking for can me found in Rotterdam only.
    How come that in the country, well known for its cheese, you can't find any cafe that serves cheese cake?? And believe me, I looked for it everywhere. Lucky me, my dear Wenasje and Kozzmozz introduced me to "Koekela" where I finally could enjoy the cake! This was the greatest B-Day surprise guys, thanks!!

Favorite Dish: Everything looks great and delicious there cookies, cakes, muffins, and brownies!!!

Sakura: Sushi

by Nathalie_B Updated Mar 28, 2004

As a real sushi addict I was looking for a nice Japanese restaurant since I've arrived in The Netherlands. And I did found one, in Rotterdam.
    All the staff is Japanese, but they do speak perfect Dutch (shame on me, I don't). It is located not so far from the Rotterdam Centraal train station, about 10-15 minutes walk. The food is very good, the decorations, service, and the athmosphere are pleasant as well.
    Sakura is a chain and you can find their restaurants in Arnhem, Scheveningen, Rotterdam and Antwerpen (Belgium)

• Dutchnatasja's Profile Photo

De Corenmaet in Breda: Don't miss the tapas!

by Dutchnatasja Written Nov 1, 2004

My favourite restaurant in Breda is The Corenmaet. The Corenmaet is located on a square named the Havermarkt, on the corner, behind the church. They are serving lunch and dinner. On the menu you’ll find a selection of tapas, which are very tasty. A few times a month I come to this place, and drink some wine and eat something delicious from the menu. They have a great ambience with a friendly staff (always smiling), and some good music on the background.

Favorite Dish: Definitely the tapas!

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

Dine with the Dutch: Dine with the Dutch in their home

by ATLC Updated Apr 4, 2011

Who can describe it better than the initiator?

'Get to know Dutch culture in a unique way and join an Amsterdammer for dinner. Book an at-home dinner with one of our specially selected hosts. Listen to their stories about Dutch culture, find out more about Amsterdam and sample our kitchen!

Based on your individual preferences, Dine with the Dutch will match you with one of the special selected host families.
    We will make the right match for a wonderful and unique evening in Amsterdam!!!!
    For only ?49,98 you can enjoy our Amsterdam hospitality and a typical Dutch meal.
    (Special prices for children and groups up to 15 people)

Do you want to have a special evening, for example with a taxidriver or an artistcouple?
    For many tourists Dine with the Dutch is a wonderful and memorable experience, a unique way to find out more about Amsterdam!!!'

Favorite Dish: I haven't tried this but I hear good reports. I've a good mind to start offering this myself!

• margaretvn's Profile Photo

Oudejans: the sandwiches!

by margaretvn Written Aug 28, 2005

this lovely bar/ restaurant is in the centre of De Rijp next to the tourist information in DE Waag. So you cannot miss it, when we were there it was lovely weather so we were able to sit outside. The people were so friendly and our lunch was so tasty and not expensive.

Favorite Dish: Koos had as delicious fresh bread roll with goats cheese, walnuts and honey syrup. I had a "broodje gezond" bread with cheese, ham, egg, tomato and salad. Everything was very fresh and tasty and the open terrace was claen and sheltered - just the place to linger with a drink and chat

• vtveen's Profile Photo

Flevoland - Het Wapen van Ens: Diner with a view

by vtveen Updated Jun 19, 2007

'Het Wapen van Ens' is situated in the Noordoostpolder and we had a diner after we finished an auto tour along the tulip fields in this Dutch polder. And it was just nice to have a table at the window with a view on the tulip fields on the other side of the road. (The other time of the year you will have a great view on the polder landscape.)

It is a typical local resaturant with good and fair food.

Favorite Dish: We did take the menu of the month.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

IJmuiden (province Noord-Holland) Imko's: Don't miss the fresh seafood!

by ATLC Updated Apr 4, 2011

Specialised seafood restaurant in the not so attractive but lively harbour area.

Favorite Dish: Although it's been a while since I was there, I remember the great oysters I had here. The largest I've ever eaten, prepared Asian style with soy sauce and chillies.

Culinary Rotterdam: Culinary Rotterdam

by ATLC Updated Feb 24, 2010

There are about 18 restaurant tips on my Rotterdam page in any category you would wish for. From local to exotic and in every price range you can wish for.
    VT member Kozzmozz is a local of Rotterdam and his page includes even more restaurants.

Dutch cheese

by sim1 Updated Jan 25, 2005

When thinking of lunch or breakfast then I would say the best thing to have is a sandwich with cheese! Yummy! The Dutch cheeses are great, and are my absolute favourite. The unfortunate thing is though that they often taste less bought abroad than at home in The Netherlands. Hahaha, maybe we keep the best for ourselves, lol ;-))

The most well-known is probably the Gouda, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the most eaten one as well. This cheese comes in several tastes varying on the stages of maturity. jong is the least mature one and is mild in flavour. Belegen (my favourite) is much tastier. Oud or old cheese is very strong in taste, with a grainy flaky texture.
    Well-known abroad is the Edam cheese (the small round cheeses with the red wax around it). Strangely enough this cheese in not eaten that much in The Netherlands itself. Edammer cheese is semi-soft in texture but slightly drier than the Gouda cheese.

• sim1's Profile Photo

Coffee, coffee and more coffee

by sim1 Updated Jan 25, 2005

The Dutch drink lots and lots of coffee, litres of it! The Dutch coffee is good and strong and it is served with koffiemelk (evaporated milk) and sugar. Having ordinary milk in the coffee is not very usual. If you want to have your coffee with warm milk you should order a 'koffie verkeerd'.

In the picture you can see an old-fashioned advertising sign for Kanis & Gunnik coffee, a Dutch brand of coffee.

You rather drink tea?

by sim1 Updated Jan 25, 2005

You rather drink tea than coffee? No problem at all! I just love tea, I think you can wake me up in the middle of the night for a cuppa, lol :-)) When visiting people just tell them that you drink tea instead of coffee. As a standard they make coffee when there are visitors, but it is not unpolite to ask for tea instead.

Restaurant Het Veerhuis: Broekhuizen, Restaurant Het Veerhuis

by ATLC Updated Sep 26, 2007

In the province Limburg, along the river Maas, lies the tiny village Broekhuizen which can be reached by road but also by ferry from Arcen, across the Maas.

Veerhuis means "ferryhouse" and is situated right on the border of the Maas.

Favorite Dish: What did we enjoy ? The French white housewine, the asparagus Thai style and asparagus with monkfish, the ginger icecream dessert. the little surprises that came with the coffee, the asparagus flower arrangement on the table and the grand view of the river Maas with boats passing by all the time.
    Click here to see my Broekhuizen page.

• vtveen's Profile Photo

Gelderland - Hoog Soeren: Pannenkoeken-Restaurant Berg en Dal

by vtveen Updated Apr 15, 2008

In the middle of the tiny village of Hoog Soeren, located 5 km’s west of Apeldoorn surrounded by vast forests, is a small and cosy restaurant. According to its name it is serving a wide range of pancakes, on the menu are more than 120 different kinds of this typical Dutch food.

In case you don’t like pancakes (which I can not imagine) you can get a lot of other dishes, among them some specialities from the Veluwe.

Favorite Dish: 'Of course' our nDutch speciality: one of the pancakes.
    Good value for your money

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

CULI AIR: Eating in the air

by pieter_jan_v Updated Mar 4, 2007

A3 Ballon is a hot air balloon company that offers dinners during flight. Top cook Angélique Schmeinck prepares a special dinner during the flight in the 10 person basket, where room is made to serve the dinner. The food is prepared in a special hot air oven that is hoisted into the balloon at 25 meters from the burners. Each half hour the next course is lowered and finished by the cook. In the mean time you can enjoy the view and taste the excellent drinks.

The all-in price is Euro 315,-- per person (flight, food & drinks).

• Luxury Travel

164 Reviews - 439 Photos
The Hague Hotels
1249 Reviews - 2883 Photos

Instant Answers: Netherlands

Comments

Netherlands Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Netherlands restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Netherlands sightseeing.
Map of Netherlands

Netherlands Members Meetings

Jun 13, 2014
Maryimelda is finally coming to Amsterdam
May 18, 2015