Safety Tips in Netherlands

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Netherlands

• DueSer's Profile Photo

Amsterdam's Red Light District

by DueSer Updated Mar 4, 2009

This is just a warning, not a danger. I never felt like this area was dangerous.

I'm going to be frank. We've been through a lot of tips, Gentle Reader, and I think by now you know I'm in this for the love of travel and seeing and experiencing new things but even I have limits. Maybe it's because I'm a woman and feel fairly strongly about women's rights or maybe because I'm an American and as the rest of the world seems to think, we're all prudes over here but I did not enjoy the Red Light District. I want to describe the way I saw it just to give you another view of it to help you decide if you want to check it out for yourself or not.

Now first of all, keep in mind that I am quite a liberal person. I strongly believe that people should be allowed to do whatever they want to do as long as it's not hurting anyone else. So, I was in Amsterdam. I was attempting to enjoy the whole unusual vibe this place has. For example, I went to a cafe, just to look, because I've never seen a menu that had marajuana on it before. I'm a curious person and I like to see things for myself. However, I hadn't yet been to the RLD until I accidentally went there when I got lost after leaving the Oude Kerk.

What bothers me the most about this area is that everyone who talks of it takes it as joke. The minute someone mentions it, it seems most people start laughing like they're suddenly transformed into a frat boy. What I saw wasn't funny. The women I saw in these windows had a very hollow, distant look in their eyes that made me feel very sorry for them.

Some of the toys I saw in the shop windows? Yeah, those were funny. But, for me, the RLD makes me think of just one thing - this one woman I saw and the look on her face. I know that it's legal there and no one is making her do this for a living but her haunted face definitely said otherwise.

So if you're thinking about going "just to see it," keep in mind my experience and think twice about going if you're not sure. This is not a light-hearted adult version of Disneyland or something.

• DueSer's Profile Photo

Offers of Help

by DueSer Updated Mar 4, 2009

I encountered this several times while in The Netherlands, mainly in Amsterdam.

What happens is, a man approaches someone they suspect is a tourist and offers to "help" by giving directions. Not a big problem, except after they give directions, they want money for helping.

The first time this happened to me (and also the last, if I may proudly say;-)), I had just arrived in Amsterdam and I was at the Centraal Station trying to figure out where the heck I needed to go. This pleasant enough-looking man came up and said I looked lost. Well, yeah. So I asked him if he knew where the main office was because I needed to have my train pass validated. He took me right to it. And then asked for money. I'd barely had enough money to buy my ticket in from Schiphol so I gave him the two coins I had on me. Luckily, he smiled, nodded, and left. What concerned me was, I don't travel with much money and what money I do have on me is *very* tightly budgeted. What if I hadn't given him anything? Or what if what little I did give him wasn't enough as far as he was concerned? This guy seemed nice enough but what if the next person who tried that wasn't as nice?

The next time it happened to me I was near the Oude Kerk, not far from the Red Light District and really turned around (I didn't know I was near the Red Light District but ended up in it, unfortunately, that's how lost I was). This guy approached and asked if I was lost. I smiled and said, "No," and moved on with purpose, like I knew exactly where I was going. He didn't follow.

The next time it happened to me it made me rather mad because I wasn't lost at all! I'd been in Amsterdam for several days at that point and knew exactly where I was and where I was headed and this guy still asked if I needed directions like he was doing me a favor! I replied, "No" with a tone that implied, "Why in the world would you ask me that?" put on my best confused smile and left. What I'd been doing was taking a picture so I think he assumed I was a tourist and therefore lost.

Anyway, my point is, if you don't want to part with your money, especially if you're a woman travelling alone, be careful of these people. Like I said, who knows how one of them might react if you don't give them any or enough money. And if you do have some money and don't mind paying someone for directions, I would still be a little leery of these guys because although the man at Centraal gave me the correct directions, who's to say all of them will? If you took them at their word and they were, in fact, the wrong directions, you could end up even more lost than you already were. I would only take directions from people you approach for help, not vice-versa.

A Beautiful Station But It Can Get Confusing.
    • Women's Travel
    • Trains

• pepemorris11's Profile Photo

Watch out when crossing roads

by pepemorris11 Written Dec 15, 2008

This is for those of us who come from countries where they drive on the left because in Europe, they drive on the right or as they claim they drive the right way!! Be extra alert especially in the Netherlands.
    When crossing roads, You have to look LEFT FIRST for bicycles coming along the bike path, and CONTINUE LOOKING LEFT again for cars or trams and then right for cars/trams and right again for bicycles.

• Seniors
    • Singles

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Maximum Speed

by pieter_jan_v Written Nov 1, 2008

There are different speed limits on the the Dutch roads:

120 km/hr on the highways
    100 or 80 km/hr on non-highways
    60 km/hr on rural roads
    50 km/hr in cities/villages (The city name sign is the start of the speed zone!)
    30 km/hr in designated housing communities

The speed limits are enforced with laser guns, speed camera's, marked and unmarked police cars and on some highways with trajectory control.

Foreigners that are stopped by the police after a speed violation, must pay at the spot.

If you are speeding 50 or more km/hr over the limit your driver's license will be impounded for some weeks.

General rules A1 Highway by 120 km/hr
    • Adventure Travel

Heavy traffic

by ATLC Written Sep 26, 2008

Heavy traffic in The Netherlands is expected daily between approx. 7-9.30 am and 4-7 pm.
    Especially in the western area (called Randstad), on the A4 (Amsterdam-The Hague), A13 (The Hague-Rotterdam), A12 (The Hague-Utrecht), A1 (Amsterdam eastwards), A2 (Utrecht southwards) and ring roads (A10, A9 around Amsterdam).

Normal morning and evening traffic jams can be around 200 kms total.

You could familiarise yourself with traffic jams by having a regular look at http://www.anwb.nl/verkeer (then click on the area where you will be driving).

Traffic

Smoking legislation

by ATLC Updated Sep 14, 2008

"Coffee shops are catering establishments and therefore subject to the tobacco legislation. Like other catering establishments, they may set up enclosed smoking areas."

This means that the selling area has to be completely separate from the smoking area. There is no difference in weed/hasj or tobacco when it comes to where you are allowed to smoke: if there is no enclosed smoking area in the coffeeshop, then you may not smoke anything.

Here's the formal information (in English) from the Ministry of Health:
    or click here

and also a FAQ from the same Ministry:
    or click here

As of April 1, 2007, Dutch coffeeshops can no longer sell alcohol. This covers all coffeeshops that sell cannabis products. Dutch coffeeshop owners who had licenses to sell both alcohol and marijuana were offered a choice: they could choose to keep one of those licenses.

School holidays 2008/2009 part 2 - dates

by ATLC Updated Aug 27, 2008

The date notation is: Day/Month/Year
    Primary school = PS (age 5-12)
    Secondary school = SS (age 12-18)

If you want to know what regions are meant, read the previous tip.

Autumn holiday: North PS+SS - 18-10-08 until 26-10-08

Summer holiday: Middle PS 11-07-09 until 23-08-09
    Summer holiday: Middle SS 11-07-09 until 30-08-09
    Summer holiday: South PS 25-07-09 until 06-09-09
    Summer holiday: South SS 18-07-09 until 06-09-09

Autumn holiday: North PS+SS - not yet known (new school year)
    Autumn holiday: Middle/South - not yet known (new school year)

School children

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Average rainfall in October (autumn)

by ATLC Written Jul 7, 2008

The normal average rainfall in October is 78 mm.
    Anything under say 65 mm is considered a dry month.
    October has the autumn school holiday (one week), generally the 3rd week of that month.

Over the last 10 years:
    1999: 62 mm
    1998: 172 mm

Smoking in The Netherlands

by ATLC Updated Feb 26, 2008

From 1 July 2008 there will be a new anti-smoking regulation.

Smoking in all public places (governmental buildings, local governmental buildings, schools, hospitals, all public transportation including stations) is already prohibited.

From July 1st 2008 this will also include hotels, restaurants, pubs, and also shopping malls, congress halls, concert halls, and airports.
    Outside terraces at restaurants are ok to smoke.
    The restaurant business (and all other related businesses) may have separate, closed off rooms and spaces for smokers. Staff is not allowed to serve there.
    In coffeeshops the area where the products are sold must be smoke free.

Trespassing will be fined.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

A 'slightly' different map view!

by ATLC Written Jan 6, 2008

I was fiddling around with my VT travel map when I noticed the shape of my home country Netherlands. According to the graphical interpretation of VT, it is quite different than its actual shape!
    The appendix isn't on the bottom left, it's on the bottom right (the province Limburg is missing). And there is a big bit missing above Amsterdam as well. That's just about most of the province Noord-Holland. Hmmmm... VT made my country smaller than it already is!
    Just click on the photo and you'll see.
    How has your country been portrayed on the VT travel map?

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Dutch railway refunds if'...

by ATLC Written Jul 23, 2007

Although I don't like to say anything negative about my country, sometimes one has to be realistic. Dutch railway schedules can be a mess. And they recognise that.
    So if your trip is not on schedule due to a train mess-up, here's the rules for refund:

30-59 mins late: 50% refund single trip or 25% refund return trip.
    60+ mins late: 100% refund single trip or 50% refund return trip
    Amounts under 2,20 euro: no refund
    Rule not valid in case of announced maintenance, extreme circumstances such as storm, earthquakes or war.

To get the refund you need to get a refund form (called: Geld terug bij Vertraging) from any NS counter. You can ask for refund up to 3 months after your trip.

• Trains

• didgeridorien's Profile Photo

Bikes

by didgeridorien Updated Jun 14, 2007

So this may seem like a strange warning, but a lot of tourists get hit by a bike. Pretty much everyone in the Netherlands has a bike and uses it a lot as well. So you've got the side walk on which you're walking, and the road for the cars, but between those, there also is a bicycle path. Mainly bikers have all the power in traffic and they use it, so take a good look before you cross the road, because a bicycle won't stop for you!

• Cycling

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Speeding fines (updated 2007)

Within built-up area's

Motorways
    up to 10 kms too fast: 14-34 €
    66-69 kms too fast: 570 €

More than 69 kms per hour: court order
    From 50 kms and faster the drivers license is taken in.

DUTCH POLICE CAR

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Traffic Fines (updated 2007)

by ATLC Updated Apr 8, 2007

Some of the most common traffic fines:

Fines for speeding

Handheld telephoning while driving: 130 euro

DUTCH POLICE CAR

Bank holidays 2007

by ATLC Updated Apr 8, 2007

if you're planning a trip to The Netherlands, you might want to take our national holidays into account.

New Year - January 1st
    Good Friday - 6 April (public services are closed)
    Easter 8 and 9 April
    Queen's birthday 30 april
    Liberation day 5 May (once every five years)
    Ascension Day 17 May (always a Thursday)
    (usually people take off the day after as well)
    Whitsun 27 and 28 May

37 Reviews - 94 Photos
Utrecht Hotels
636 Reviews - 1551 Photos

Instant Answers: Netherlands

Comments

Netherlands Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Netherlands warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Netherlands sightseeing.
Map of Netherlands