Kirkenes Favorites

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Welcome to Kirkenes

by travelfrosch Written Aug 6, 2006

The sign says it all

Favorite thing: Certainly Kirkenes does its part to make you feel welcome. If you're arriving by air (or by road along the E6), you will be greeted by a huge "Welcome to Kirkenes" sign. If you didn't know it was there, and you want to thank me... you're welcome.

• Cruise

E-mail

by o00o Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: From here, the staff of ticketing counter was too kind enough, because they allowed me to use their computer for E-mail checking, not only this but the contact with the Honningsvag Trevel Agency for transportation arrangement and confirmation.

• Study Abroad

• 78Eva's Profile Photo

A journey with a Hurtigruten ship

by 78Eva Written Feb 20, 2004

MS Kong Harald

Favorite thing: I was so fortunate as to have the chance, during my year in Norway, to do an internship on the MS Kong Harald for about two weeks. I had a little berth on the ship, ate with the crew and worked about six hours every day. For that, I got the trip for free. I had to do all kinds of tasks, washing up, serving food, selling postcards etc. There was enough time left to stroll the ship, sit on the upper deck which has all glass windows so you can enjoy the landscape, or look at the cities you stop at. Many times, in smaller places, the ships will only stop for an hour or so, but in places like Trondheim you will have about six hours. Of course you need to be back on the ship in time!
    I saw marvelous places, the more north we got, the more exciting! Sometimes there would just be an icy coast for a long time without houses to be seen. I liked Hammerfest. Kirkenes definitely felt a long way from home! You were practically in Russia! Something magical in the evenings that we got to enjoy quite a few times was the northern lights in the sky. I did the trip in February so it was the right time to see them. Spooky!
    When we had crossed the arctic circle, two of the cooks gave me the traditional "polar baptism", i.e. they poured a pitcher of ice water and ice cubes down my back. Ahhh!
    Doing an internship on the ship was fun, interesting, and for me really the only way to pay for the trip since it is very expensive. If you can afford it, it is absolutely worth it, though. I think those internships are very hard to get, a teacher at my Norwegian school organized them for a few students every year.

• Work Abroad
    • Cruise
    • Luxury Travel

From Russia

by o00o Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: From Russia Nikel, 1 hour across the border to Norway, the first city I stopped my legs was Kirkenes.

• Eco-Tourism

Few Hours Stay

by o00o Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: I was here just to waiting for the ferry to get to Honningsvag, however, within 7 hours stay, I manage to explore just a liitle secret about Kirkenes.

• Safari

Ferry Ticket

by o00o Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Within this few hours stay here, there are many things to do included, Hurtingen Ferry Ticket and winter schedule.

Winter Schedule

by o00o Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: The schedule I had was 2000 summer edition, so I must settle the schedule problem before the ferry departed.

• Spa and Resort

Food and Beverage

by o00o Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Then, I walked to the nearby department store, sorry I forgot the name of the store, I had 10 cans of bears, 2 bottles of wine, fruites, food, sandwiches etc..

• Wine Tasting

Postcards

by o00o Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: ...and of course, Kirkenes city post office, a must place to visit, sending postcards to friends, family and myself.

• Business Travel

The Route

by o00o Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: This map show the route of my journey from Russia Murmunsk, Nikel, Kirkenes, Honingsvag, Norkapp.......Helsinky and San Petersburg.

• Adventure Travel

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Tourist info

by Gili_S Written Jun 27, 2007

Favorite thing: There is useful tourist info in the city which can provide you a lot of information on the region, accommodation, transport, ferries, forest, trekking and fishing.

Instant Answers: Kirkenes

Comments

Kirkenes Favorites

Reviews and photos of Kirkenes favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kirkenes sightseeing.