Pubs., Bergen

Know about this? Rate It!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Cafe Ugla: Watch the football in the bar!

by SWFC_Fan Written Aug 13, 2006

Cafe Ugla, Bergen

Cafe Ugla is a somewhat bizarre cross between a cafe, a restaurant, a pub and a nightclub.

The sign out front refers to the venue as a restaurant/night club. One website refers to it as a student bar with "cheap beer and occasional concerts". To me, it was a cross between a pub and a working men's club.

However, the reason that Mette (VTer: FletteMette) and I ended up in there was to watch a live football game between Brann and Lillestrom which was being screened on the pub's TV one evening in August 2006. Having left it a little too late to get a prime spot in any of the popular city centre pubs (where Mette informs me she would normally watch the football), we were fast running out of options for places to see the game. We then remembered that we had seen a sign advertising the game outside Cafe Ugla earlier in the day.....so in we went!

The interior consists of a large bar area with wooden tables and large screen TVs. As this part of the pub was full, we went into an adjacent room which contained a snooker table, a couple of fruit machines and a smaller TV also showing the match. We pulled up a couple of wooden chairs and joined the crowd of Brann fans watching the action. Sadly, the game was to end in a 2-0 defeat for Bergen's finest football team :-(

The prices seem to be considerably cheaper than in many of Bergen's bars. A Hansa beer (500ml) and a Coca Cola (400ml) set me back a relatively modest 63 NOK.

Cheap beer and live football......it could be worse!!

Dress Code: None.

Mr Bean Bar: Mr Bean Bar

by Gili_S Updated Dec 18, 2005

Mr Bean is also a nightspot as it is very popular for drinking only, especially at weekends. Amazingly, there was always space here to get in and find seats where in the real centre you had to stand and hold your beer. As you see, my city hosts did found a place to sit while I was fetching the beers, and were very happy when finnaly they get it ;-)

• Beer Tasting

• LittleWonder's Profile Photo

Pubs.: Garage Rock Club

by LittleWonder Updated Sep 7, 2005

This rock club have a pub at street level and a dancefloor and stage in the basement.

The clients are mostly rockers and students.

Garage often hosts concerts. See their web site for more information.

Dress Code: There is no dress code, but the guests are mainly dressed in black.

• daarth's Profile Photo

Finnegan's Irish Pub: Irish Pub.

by daarth Written Feb 24, 2003

Finnegan's Irish Pub

A place is nothing unless you don't first make the Irish welcome. If you manage that the rest is easy :-) So Bergen has an Irish Pub. We even have one more! You will of course not believe me, so I have no other option than to go and take a picture of it. Problem is I always first have the urge to taste a pint, and afterwards I forget to take the picture. One of these days.....
    BUT, I did manage to take the picture of Finnagan's!

• cvsolfari's Profile Photo

Finnegan's Irish Pub is the...

by cvsolfari Updated Aug 26, 2002

Finnegan's Irish Pub is the best place in Bergen to go for a beer at dinner time or late in the evening to find nice people to talk to.
    Great Irish Pub 1 block from the Bergens Tidende. Lots of friendly people here and an outdoor seating area for those long summer days.

Dress Code: Casual. You might get thrown out for dressing like a rock star.

Rock Pub: Rock Pub

by Gili_S Written Dec 18, 2005

I did went for a brief to Rock Pub but I guess I was too early here, or either the best time of this place are already over.

Fotballpuben: Fotballpuben

by Gili_S Written Dec 18, 2005

This is Fotballpuben, which means, Football Pub, they say it is the cheapest place for a beer here and there fore, do not expect for too much in this place.

Instant Answers: Bergen