Know about this? Rate It!
This wooden church is quite literally of the beaten path. It is located in Fantoft - student area - and not really well signposted.
Build somewhere more rural, this church was moved to it's present location in the 19th century. Though relatively small (as compared to other more famous examples) it offers a number of woodcarvings that are just timelessly beautiful.
Unfortunately the original church burnt down in 1992 an the present on is a reconstruction of the old one. But still you get the impression of it.
It is a bit of a shame though that there is a fence around it, even though this might prevent the monument from more damage.
It is open for visitors from may til september but even a scroll just around it might be an interesting trip for a sunday afternoon...
Fantoft stave church
Fantoft Stave church has an interesting history. It was built in Sandefjord in the beginning of 12th century and moved in southern suburbs of Bergen in 1883. It is situated on top of a hill in park surroundings.
What you’ll see today if you climb up is the newly reconstruction since the original was destroyed to the ashes in a fire set up by one sick person in 1992.
You'll find this church on the Bergen map if you look a little bit to the south (close to the part of the town named "Paradis" :)
Since I was driven there I can't give you more detailed directions. Tourist guides state that you can take any bus leaving from platform 20 close to the Railway station and get off at the Fantoft stop. Ask the driver for the right bus and right stop.
Entrance is 30 NOK.
Not very secret but some miss...
Not very secret but some miss the stave church - a perfect copy built fairly recently after the old church (was?) burnt down.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save Up To 50% On Hotels
- Orbitz.com Find great deals on Orbitz & pay no hotel change or cancel fees
Bergen Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Tadong Hotels
- Bitter Springs Hotels
- Lake Memphremagog Hotels
- Tagaytay City
- New Plymouth Hotels
- Chicago Off The Beaten Path
- Venice Off The Beaten Path
- Georgia Off The Beaten Path
- Colorado Off The Beaten Path
- Tennessee Off The Beaten Path
- Washington State Off The Beaten Path
- DAY TRIPS AROUND MUMBAI
- Philadelphia Off The Beaten Path
- Outside Rome
- Las Vegas Off The Beaten Path
- Mackinac Island Off The Beaten Path
- Washington D.C. Off The Beaten Path