Dr Livingstone Travellers Cafè, Bergen

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Dr Livingstone Travellers Cafè: Informal cafe with nice outdoor seating area

by SWFC_Fan Written Aug 13, 2006

Dr Livingstone Travellers Cafe, Bergen

Dr Livingstone Travellers Cafe is a large cafe and restaurant with an outdoor seating area, located on Kong Oscars gate just a few minutes walk from the harbour and the fish market. The pleasant seating area, located to the rear of the cafe away from the road, can seat up to 200 people and is partially sheltered in order to accommodate diners on Bergen's numerous rainy days.

It was here that Mette (VTer: FletteMette) and I decided to stop for a refreshing drink on the first afternoon of our week long VT meeting in July 2006, having met for the first time just 30 minutes earlier. We settled at a wooden table in the outdoor courtyard on a nice sunny summer's afternoon.

We both opted for Coca Colas, shunning the chance of a much needed alcoholic drink to help calm the nerves and stimulate the conversation ;-) In the event, the Coke machine had broken down, so we decided to have orange juices instead.

I would have had a beer, but this being Norway, the price was exorbitant! A small beer (less than a pint) costs between 50 and 60 NOK. If that wasn't bad enough, I saw on the menu that later in the evening that same beer would cost less than 40 NOK. I would have felt that I had been cheated had I ordered a beer outside of the "Happy Hour" evening prices! ;-)

The menu appears in both Norwegian and English. This proved to be a good opportunity for me to practice my pronunciation of Norwegian food items. I'm sure Mette will be pleased to tell you how accurate my pronunciations were! ;-)

Even by Norwegian standards, the food on offer here is expensive. A variety of sandwiches (club sandwiches, chicken, tuna etc) can be purchased for between 100 and 140 NOK. More substantial meals, including meat dishes, pasta dishes, seafood and vegetarian options cost upwards of 200 NOK. Even an ice cream (described on the menu as being for children, but we think they'd have bent the rules and allowed us to have one) would have set us back around 55 NOK. We decided to go without food and just have a leisurely drink instead.

Favorite Dish: We both opted for:

Orange juice - Cost: 36 NOK each

Bottled orange juice poured into a 500ml glass and served with lots of ice cubes. Very refreshing!

A laid back cafe with a relaxing outdoor seating area and a varied (but expensive) menu. Recommended!

• daarth's Profile Photo

Here you can eat from places...

by daarth Updated Sep 16, 2002

Hansa Bryggen

Here you can eat from places all over the world: Chinese, Italian, Mexican, Mongolian...... And if you are lucky, you might find Norwegian food. Norway is very expensive, but be especially aware of the price of alcohol before ordering.

There is always a place that has the right name for a traveler. Here in Bergen it is: Dr. Livingstone Travellers Cafe.
    www.dr-livingstone.com/eng/
    There are ofcourse many other great places.

• LittleWonder's Profile Photo

Dr Livingstone Travellers Cafè

by LittleWonder Updated Aug 24, 2002

Dr Livingstone Travellers Cafè
    Nice backyard for warm days and evenings. Their coffee bar, Mr Bean, is also good.

Favorite Dish: International menu, lots of good stuff.

Instant Answers: Bergen