Shanghai-Kobe Restaurant, Bergen

4 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews

Shanghai Kobe Restaurant, Bergen
    Shanghai Kobe Restaurant interior
    by SWFC_Fan
    Chicken with vegetables and cashew nuts
  • SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Shanghai-Kobe Restaurant: Good value, family-run Chinese restaurant

by SWFC_Fan Written Aug 13, 2006

Shanghai Kobe Restaurant, Bergen

I ate at Shanghai Kobe Restaurant with Mette (VTer: FletteMette) one afternoon during my visit to Bergen in July 2006.

This small, family-run Chinese (and judging by its name, probably Japanese too) restaurant is located on Lodin Leppsgaten, just a few minutes walk inland from the harbour. Despite its proximity to Bryggen and the bustling tourist areas nearby, this restaurant seems to be sufficiently well hidden from the tourist crowds.

In common with many Asian restaurants in Bergen, Shanghai Kobe offers a special lunchtime menu between 12:00 and 17:30. During these hours, a selection of meals can be purchased for as little as 59 NOK. However, only a few of the meals are available as this "starting price".....most of them range in price from 70 - 80 NOK. Even at these higher prices, the lunchtime specials are considerably cheaper than the standard menu meals which generally cost upwards of 120 NOK.

If you visit Shanghai Kobe outside of the lunchtime hours, you will find a menu that consists of the staple Chinese restaurant choices - a selection of stir frys, rice and noodle dishes containing beef, chicken, pork, seafood or vegetables.

One thing that both Mette and myself were impressed with was that the waiter was completely unfazed by the fact that Mette ordered her meal in Norwegian while I ordered mine in English. While most Norwegians are multi-lingual, some of them were thrown by the fact that Mette and I were speaking different languages when ordering meals or purchasing things in shops.

Favorite Dish: Both Mette and I ordered from the lunchtime specials menu:

I opted for:

Chicken with vegetables and cashew nuts - Cost: 79 NOK

This dish was labelled as "spicy" on the menu, so it was the natural choice. The dish consisted of tender pieces of chicken in a fairly hot (but I wouldn't say particularly spicy) sauce with carrots, cashew nuts, celery, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, sugar peas and various other vegetables. Served with a portion of white rice.

Mette opted for:

Fried rice with vegetables - Cost: 59 NOK

Mette had a fairly large plate of fried rice with vegetables. For the purposes of this tip, she tells me that her meal was "quite ok" and that she rates this restaurant highly.

We both opted for:

Coca Cola - Cost: 28 NOK each

Good value Chinese meals in a nice, family-run restaurant! I would recommend it.....but Mette would prefer me to keep it a secret!! ;-))

• bonio's Profile Photo

Shanghai-Kobe restaurant: Feed me!

by bonio Written Jul 4, 2003

Arriving fairly late into the evening and fancying Chinese food, this was the first we found - not disappointed either, very tasty and comfortable surroundings in one of Bergens cheaper places to eat it seems.....

Favorite Dish: I went for the set menu, but Mrs B (veggie) was well catered for too

Instant Answers: Bergen