Åndalsnes Things to Do

by SailorRoar

Most Recent Things to Do in Åndalsnes

Camping at Geiranger

Camping at Geiranger

Time to find a campground and set up my tent. There is lots of accommodations available at Geiranger, but it is also very busy here with tourists. So finding a place to stay might be hard in high season.
    I was on a camping trip, so I focused myself on the campgrounds around. The ones close to Geiranger seemed to be full, but a bit up the road on the other side of Geiranger I found the perfect campground. The name of the camping place was 'Vinje Camping'.
    It didn't rain, so I had time to put up my tent, make some dinner.... and oops..... it started to rain... arghhh! Hahaha, luckily there were some picnic tables under a roof, so I didn't mind it too much.

Late in the evening the weather cleared up and the sun broke through the clouds. A wonderful sight to see. The amazing thing is that it is REALLY late at night here (I think it was about 11 o'clock in the evening). Aren't these looong summer evenings amazing!!!! Hahaha, they have 'one' downside though.... it is really hard to sleep when it is light most part of the day, lol :-)))

• Camping

First view on the Geiranger Fjord

by sim1 Updated May 27, 2004

Viewpoint at the ��rneveien (Eagles way)

We arrived at the Geiranger fjord from the north side. Here you descend down to the valley on the ?rneveien (Eagles way). There are a few viewpoints along this road and wow those views are fantastic! They certainly are a 'must-stop' !

I was amazed by the view: the wonderful blue coloured-water of the fjord itself, the high steep walls on the sides of the fjords and far in the distance I could see some of the fantastic waterfalls along the fjord. And of course there were a lots of boats going up and down the fjord, as seeing the fjord from the water is a wonderful experience. But I'll tell and show you more about that on my Geiranger page.

Geiranger with is beautiful fjord is located 427 kilometres from Oslo and 373 kilometres from Bergen.

• sim1's Profile Photo

Viewpoint at the Ørneveien (Eagles way)

by sim1 Updated May 27, 2004

viewpoint at the ��rneveien (Eagles way)

This is another view from the Ørneveien (Eagles way), not as good as the other one, hahaha, but it is still great one! In the distance you can see the village of Geiranger, which is located at the end of the fjord. Geiranger village is the destination for many tourists as this is the place where you can take boat tours on the Geiranger fjord.

I was so in luck when I arrived at Ørneveien! It was raining only 5 minutes before and I thought I wouldn't have a nice view at all, because of that. But right at the moment that I could see the Geiranger fjord, the rain decided to stop and the clouds made a little room for the sun. Now lets hope that rain can stay away for a while! Because it is time for me to find a camping spot!:-) Hahaha, and setting up a tent in the rain is not exactly what I call 'fun' :-))

Climbing down the hill

Vermafossen waterfall

The view from the top of the slope was nice, but I wanted to have a closer look at this beautiful Vermafossen waterfall. That wasn't easy though as there was no real trail going down the slope. But that wouldn't stop us! Hahaha, Åke and I tried to make our own way down, and we succeeded to our joy.

The path was steep at points, but never too steep, and there some bushes and scrubs in the way, but those didn't make too much of an obstacle either. So with some effort we were able to walk down and got to a nice lookout point, were we could had a great view over the waterfall.

I loved this waterfall, as there were no crowds here, no tourist shops, just the awesome force of nature. This crazy climb down and than the amazing waterfall is one of my best memories of this Norway trip. Hahaha, I don't want to talk about the climb up again though.... phew, exhausting! lol :-)

• sim1's Profile Photo

Leaving the campground after a rainy night

Campground close to Dovre

It's time to pack up our tent again! We had a fantastic day yesterday in Rondane National Park, but today will be without a doubt just as spectacular!
    And it seems like we are having some luck with the weather as well. I was a bit worried as it rained during most of the evening and night, but this early this morning the skies cleared up and we even see a glimpse of sunshine. It looks like it's going to be a great day! So don't waste any more time.... it's time to discover more of beautiful Norway!

• Camping

From Dovre to Geiranger

Map

Today's journey will start of with a trip along the E136 through the Romsdal valley. This is a 105 km trip from Dovre (close to Dombås) to Åndalsnes, and offers some beautiful scenery along the road. From there we will be driving up the famous Trollstigen and the end of today's journey will be at the amazingly blue and picturesque Geiranger fjord. The total trip is approximately 215 kilometres.

Waterfall close to Heggen

Waterfall close to Heggen

After the 'Trollstigen', the landscape becomes more 'quiet', but it is still beautiful. On the highest tops here in the mountains you could still see some snow. Further along the long drive to Geiranger you get into 'strawberry country'. In many places along the road they were selling fresh strawberries. And although it was at the end of the strawberry-season, I was able to buy a nice basket full of them. Hmmmmm, that would make a delicious dessert for tonight! :-))

Close to the village of Heggen I saw this little waterfall. A nice spot to get out of the stretch your legs after a long drive and admire the landscape. Heggen is located approximately 15 minutes before you get to the ferry to Geiranger (ferry from Linge to Eidsdal).

The Trolls....

A 'Troll'

On top of the 'Trollstigen' you can find some tourist shops and of course the 'obligatory' troll is sold here by the dozen. Maybe not that surprising, as this road is named after these trolls :-)) But what is a troll exactly?

A troll is a creature that according to legends from long ago lived in the forest of Norway. People didn't know what these creatures were, but they were generally believed to have supernatural powers, and they came to be known as trolls. Trolls weren't really beautiful. They had long crooked noses, only four fingers and toes and most of them had long wild hair. A troll isn't per definition small though as many people assume. They can be small, but they can also be like giants. Although they look frightening and shaggy, they are also considered as good-natured. But it is really important not to make a troll angry or you would be in deep deep trouble!

So are there any chances of seeing a troll? Oh yes there are! The trolls only come out of their hiding-places after sunset through and they are gone before the morning sun gets up. They stand can't direct sunlight, because this might make them crack and turn them into stone. But when you are in the dark forests in Norway, you better beware.... After dark there is not only you.... you are there surrounded by the trolls! Hahaha, and if you do see one, please take a picture! I would love to see one 'for real' :-)))

Trollstigen

I am standing here at the beginning of the 'Trollstigen'. The impressive road close to Åndalsnes is not really visible from this view. But I guess that's kind of nice, because this way you'll be surprised with the view by every corner in the road you take, whilst driving up the mountain.

If you click on the picture you might see a little bridge over the waterfall halfway the picture. That's where we will be going! And that's not the end of it, we have to climb up the narrow road to get the top of the mountain, and you can guess it.... that means a lot of hairpins! Eeks ;-)

Driving to the top....

by sim1 Updated May 26, 2004

Trollstigen

I was a bit nervous going up the 'Trollstigen' road, as it is narrow and has many hairpins before you get to the top. There is not much room in this valley, so there isn't that much room for a road! And as 'Trollstigen' is one of the most visited tourist attractions in Norway, it can be quite busy with cars and that doesn't make driving here any easier.

It is not really a road for those who are afraid of heights. And 'really' not a road when you have a caravan with you! Of course it is possible, but it won't be an easy drive. There are 11 hairpin bends in total and the road has an incline of 9%, with open drops on the side.

On the way to the top (or down, if you drive in the other direction) one of the main obstacles you'll meet are the touring busses! They are tooo big for this road! But of course as the tourists want to go here, there are many of them around. Hahaha, I am happy I wasn't driving the car, hahaha, being 'just' a passenger was bad enough, LOL :-))

Remember the bridge in the previous picture? Well, that's where I am right now.

Ferry from Trollstigen to Geiranger

by sim1 Updated May 26, 2004

Ferry from Trollstigen to Geiranger

The first ferry trip on our journey through Norway; the first of many more to come. I was surprised by the ferry system though, it is very efficient and only on a few occasions I had to wait for a long time for the ferry. The costs will add up though if you go ferry hopping with a car too much, but it is also fun to make these short trips crossing the beautiful fjords. This is the ferry connecting the Trollstigen to Geiranger. The ferry goes from Linge to Eidsdal. The ferry crosses the fjord around 40 times a day during the summer season (beginning of June to the end of August). It is a very short crossing, it only takes 10 minutes to get to the other side. A car including driver will cost you 43 NOK and a passenger 18 NOK.

You can find more detailed information about the ferries in Norway on this website: www.mrf.no

• Sailing and Boating

Wow, what a view!

by sim1 Updated May 25, 2004

Wow, what a view! This is the Trollstigen!

Driving up the Trollstigen (The Trolls' Path) is well worth the trip! Wow, the view is so breathtaking!!! When you drive up the mountain, the view gets more and more spectacular with every corner that you take.
    This picture was taken from the top. There is a great viewpoint here, not a long walk from the road. So do get out of your car, stretch your legs, walk the little trail to the viewpoint and just be amazed by what you see!

Click on the picture to see all the 'miniature' cars on the road, the bridge over Stigfoss waterfall, and of course the fantastic view from here!

The old trail

Trollstigen

The 'Trollstigen' has always been an important connecting routes between Sunnmøre to Romsdal. The original route was not this road, but a narrow horse trail. You can still see this horse trail and the good news is that it is restored and is now used as a hiking trail. It sounds like a beautiful trail to hike, although probably very steep and exhausting to do.

If you do like me and take the car instead, you might have to think about which season to travel here. During the winter to approximately the middle of May the road is closed, depending on snow conditions.

• sim1's Profile Photo

I think I see a troll!!! ;-)

by sim1 Updated May 25, 2004

I think I see a troll!!! ;-)

I think I see a troll!!! ;-) Yes... there! I am pointing right at it! Oops... that means you??LOL :-)))

I found this troll-warning sign at the beginning of the famous road 'Trollstigen', hahaha, and it made me laugh so much! They actually have a road sign for them! lol :-))) But more about those 'famous' Norwegian creatures in a next tip. Now it is time to drive up the 'Trollstigen'.

'Stigfoss' waterfall at Trollstigen

Stigfoss Waterfall at Trollstigen

At the bridge you can take a better look at the 'Stigfoss'. This is the waterfall that thunders down this valley and crossed the 'Trollstigen' road. In the picture you can only see the upper part of the waterfall, as the waterfall continues to roar down under the road and down into the valley. The bridge over the waterfall is from 1935.

Instant Answers: Åndalsnes

Comments

Åndalsnes Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Åndalsnes things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Åndalsnes sightseeing.