Rondane Nasjonalpark Things to Do

by Maria_75
    Campground at Otta
    by sim1
  • Grass covered roofs at the Peer Gynt Hytta
    Grass covered roofs at the Peer Gynt...
    by sim1

Most Recent Things to Do in Rondane Nasjonalpark

• Maria_75's Profile Photo

Rondeslottet

by Maria_75 Written Sep 8, 2007

Rondeslottet is the highest mountain in Rondane national park. It is a perfect place for hiking.

The most normal place to start is Rondvassbu, and it is an easy ascent that takes about 6 hours up and down. Or you can continue on to Bjørnhollia.

It is also possible to go climbing up to the top. Its not an area famous for climbers, but there are still great challenges to be found here.

• Mountain Climbing

• sim1's Profile Photo

A trip through Norway....

by sim1 Updated Dec 14, 2004

My journey will continue on the next page about Åndalsnes and the Trollstigen.

These are the chapters of my trip through Norway in 2003 :

1 Rondane National Park
    2 Åndalsnes and Trollstigen
    3 Geiranger (Under construction)
    4 Ålesund
    5 Selje
    6 Sogndalsfjora (Under construction)
    7 Skjolden (Under construction)
    8 Jotunheimen National Park (Under construction)
    9 Kongsvinger (Under construction)

Trollstigen

• blanter's Profile Photo

Vinjeronden and Rondslottet

by blanter Written Aug 9, 2004

From Otta, one drives via Mysuseter (toll road) to the free parking at Spranghaugen. From there, it is ah nour (6km) easy walk to the Rondvassbu hat, and from the hut one can take a signposted path to the summit of Vinjeronden (2044, 6-7h return, technically easy. The valley of Rondholbekken, high above the lake, which one passes en route, is quiet and nice. Most people continue from Vinjeronden along the ridge to the neighboring summit of Rondslottet (2178, 2h return), but we did not attempt.

View from Vinjeronden

Rondane National Park

by sim1 Updated Jan 4, 2004

The hike is coming to an end. The last little bit to hike is a climb over a hill and we were back at Smuksjøseter and the car. The hike I made was quite easy, with an easy to walk on trail and without any steep climbs or hills. You don't really need to be in tip-top shape or a very experienced hiker to make this hike. So if you are not afraid of doing a 10 kilometres hike, with some light up- and downhill walking on a partly rocky trail, you really should give this hike a chance, its beautiful! Of course there are much more challenging hikes around, and when I will return I will certainly try to get up to one of the higher areas of the park. The view from there must be so different, but with no doubt, stunning.

Rondane National Park

So tranquil....

by sim1 Updated Jan 4, 2004

As you probably noticed I really love this National Park and would love to return to explore more of it. Rondane is so peaceful and quiet; I guess tranquil would be a good word for it. The national park is not shouting out loud with spectacular natural features like for instance the Grand Canyon, but the park certainly does have something special. There is a harmony in the mountains, valleys, streams and colours of the landscape. It's a place where I loved to be, where I came to rest, was amazed, felt tranquil myself. It's a place that I love.

So tranquil....

Beautiful wildflowers in Rondane

by sim1 Updated Jan 4, 2004

Although not in abundance around (not at the beginning of August anyway) you can spot some beautiful wildflowers in Rondane. The National Park covers an area of 572 km2 and was established in 1962.The wildlife in Rondane does not differ much from the wildlife in other mountain areas in Norway. Although I didn't spot any myself, there are reindeer and moose in the park. Other animals you could spot are rabbit, red fox, arctic fox, lynx, wolverine and various smaller animals (mice, weasels, lemmings). There are lots of birds in the park; 124 varieties in total. A few examples are the Snipe, Sandpiper, Ringed Plover, Crane, Buntings, Rough-legged buzzard, golden eagle and many many more.

Beautiful flowers in Rondane National Park

All yellow and green

by sim1 Updated Jan 4, 2004

The one thing I remember best was the amazing colour scheme of the park. The different shades of green and yellow are the dominant colours you can see here, but it does make the landscape look breathtaking. I never realized that there are so many tones in colour between yellow and green. The best painter couldn't have composed the colours any better. The best moments for me were just standing still and looking around in amazement. I felt so small and unimportant when seeing this landscape, that is so enormous and never ending, it was a wonderful feeling.

All yellow and green in Rondane National Park

The beautiful landscape of Rondane

by sim1 Updated Jan 4, 2004

Let's continue with our hike.... The second part of the route was totally different from the first part. This photo is made close to the Peer Gynt Hytta, where we had some beautiful views over a picturesque valley. I loved seeing all the flowers in bloom with the mountains in the background. The way back of the hike offered beautiful views over a much more amazing landscape than the first part of the hike as you can see in the next view pictures I made in the park.

The beautiful landscape of Rondane National Park

Which way now??

by sim1 Updated Jan 4, 2004

So which way do we go now??? We made our own little loop trail by choosing parts of several hiking trails, making it not too long of a hike and avoiding too steep climbs. I wasn't so well trained in hiking yet, and certainly not in mountain areas, so I was a bit nervous of it. But I didn't need to be, the trail was very good to hike and I enjoyed every minute of it. I was capable of hiking much more than I ever dreamed of. You can see proof of that on my Jotunheimen (Norway page) where I astounded myself by the hike, or better said climb, that I made there. Amazing considering that that hike was only a week after this little one, lol. If you read the Jotunheimen page you will understand what I mean.
    Rondane National Park has some good detailed maps where you can find all the hiking trails available in the park. The total length of the hike we chose today was 9 kilometres.

Which way do we go now??

Waffles and tea

by sim1 Updated Jan 4, 2004

We originally planned to have something to eat at the start of our hike at the Smuksjøseter. But there wasn't much to get there and the prices were exorbitant, so we skipped that and just started hiking without having a real lunch. We brought some food and drink with us for during the hike, so it wasn't a real problem. But at the Peer Gynt Hytta we discovered that they serve some food and light snacks, and we didn't need to think twice to order something good to eat :-) We had a lovely break eating waffles with sour cream and strawberry jam. Yummy! Of course I had a cup of tea with that. It tasted great, hahaha, but I was soooo surprised with the sour cream though! I thought I had gotten whipped cream and I can't really say that tasting the sour cream was a pleasant surprise, lol. So I scraped it of my waffles and enjoyed just the strawberry jam and my hot cup of tea.
    A nice moment was to see when a horse was letting loose. I still don't know if they done that one purpose or if it was an accident. But seeing the horse run into the fields of heather so happily jumping up and down gave me such a happy feeling. It ran for quite a while just jumping of joy.

Waffles and tea

Waterfall at the Peer Gynt Hytta

by sim1 Updated Jan 4, 2004

Before arriving at the main building of the Peer Gynt Hytta I had to cross a little gorge where I saw this beautiful little waterfall carved into the rocks. I could get rather close to the waterfall by walking along the river on the left side of it. From here I had fantastic view on the waterfall and I stayed here for quite a while to enjoy the view. The sun even came out for a minute, to highlight the beauty of this little fall.
    Now I only had one problem left.... how to get across the river to the other side of the gorge?! The only option was this little metal-grid bridge... eeks! Hahaha, I had to pass that bridge to get to the hytta, but it was scary! I hardly dared to look down to the gorge underneath me and the quick flowing water of the waterfall.

Waterfall at the Peer Gynt Hytta

Hiking in Rondane National Park

by sim1 Updated Jan 4, 2004

The hike in Rondane National Park started at the Smuksjøseter, 5 kilometres east of Høvringen. You can get here on a rather small road, but it is well marked, so you won't have much trouble in finding it. The last bit of the road (from Høvringen to Smuksjøseter) is a toll road. I can't really remember how much it cost, but it wasn't that much. At Smuksjøseter the road ends and it is time to get out of the car and explore the area on foot. There is not much to Smuksjøseter itself; it is just a hotel and a little restaurant which function as an accommodation and rest stop for the hikers in the area. There are some parking places where you can leave your car, and from here you have a good starting point for a hike. The Norwegian Tourist association (DNT) has a network of paths here. All the trails are marked with a "T", as you can see on this pile of rocks in the picture. It looks like quite an unstable way of marking the route to me. The pile of rocks is made quite creatively and doesn't seem to be able to stand the test of time. But I didn't get lost, so I guess the system does work ;-)
    I have to add a word of warning though! Although the trails are marked reasonably okay, you have to pay attention of where you are going. This was one of the clearer signs on the trail, but it is very easy to loose which trail you are on. So I would advice taking a good map with you as well and don't rely only on the route markers when you go for a hike in Rondane National Park.

Useful websites:
    www.smuksjoseter.no
    www.visitrondane.com

Hiking in Rondane National Park

The Kvitskriuprestein

by sim1 Updated Jan 4, 2004

The Kvitskriuprestein (or priests of the white scree) is an example of a form of erosion that is very rare in Northern Europe. The material the pyramids are made of white moraine soil. This type of soil is left over from an earlier Ice Age; it is hard as concrete when dry, but easily washed away by rain and flooding creeks. The rocks on the top of the pillars have protected them, while the rain washed away the surrounding soil, giving them this weird look. From a distance, the white pyramids topped by the dark rock hats remind of a group of priests, and that is why they got this name.

The Kvitskriuprestein

• sim1's Profile Photo

Climbing up the hill to Kvitskriuprestein

by sim1 Updated Jan 4, 2004

New day, New adventures, and first on the list for the day is a visit to the Kvitskriuprestein, a weird rock formation, close to Otta. The place is on a little side road into the mountains around Otta, and it is not really easy to find. From the E6, travelling north, just outside the village of Otta, take the side road to the right. Follow this little road through the Uladalen along the river Ula for approximately 3 kilometres, and you will get to the Kvitkriuprestein.

The final part of getting to the Kvitskriuprestein requires a steep and exhausting climb. The hike isn't that far, but the steepness of the trail makes it very exhausting. Hahaha, I am amazed I got there at all! lol :-) You can see me here desperately trying to walk uphill. I was far behind Åke of course, who was patiently waiting for me and encouraging me that I could make it up to the top. And I did! Hahaha, partly thanks to my always existing stubbornness ;-) I decided I could make it up this stupid hill, hahaha, so that is what I did :-))

Am I there yet???!

Where is Rondane National Park

by sim1 Updated Jan 4, 2004

So where is Rondane National Park? It is close to the village of Høvringen, which can be reached by taking a side road off the E6 and following that for 8 kilometres. Rondane is about 300 kilometres north of Oslo, 520 kilometres north-east of Bergen and 135 kilometres north of Lillehammer.

Where is Rondane National Park?

Instant Answers: Rondane Nasjonalpark

Comments

Rondane Nasjonalpark Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Rondane Nasjonalpark things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rondane Nasjonalpark sightseeing.

View all Rondane Nasjonalpark hotels