Cafe Sara, Oslo

• Cafe Sara
    by bonio
  • Cafe Sara
    by bonio
    Chicken kebab, corn rice and salad
    by Ekaterinburg
  • suvanki's Profile Photo

Cafe Sara: Good Reasonable Food, Good atmosphere.

by suvanki Updated Nov 8, 2009

'Our Sara' at Cafe Sara

We'd set off to find this place, as I'd seen it listed in 'cheap' places to eat, and also because one of our party is called Sara! (We'd already spotted D/S Louise earlier- another of our group being Louise!) Now I'd be VERY surprised if there was a Cafe Suvanki anywhere, never mind in Oslo!

About 15 - 20 minutes walking from KJG. (in the snow!)

From the outside, Cafe Sara looked warm and inviting, it had been snowing for most of the afternoon, and the roads were not clearing so easily.

We found a table easily (late afternoon) and ordered 4 beers, while we perused the menu, and warmed up.

The cuisine is a mix of Vegetarian, Turkish, Italian, Mexican etc. Good selection of food and drink.

The decoration is mainly of dark wood, with plain wooden floors. Turquoise and dark red painted walls and ceiling added a quirky touch of colour.

There was a friendly relaxed atmosphere, with background music playing - Including my favourite - Springsteen!

Apparently, this cafe/bar has had a reputation over the years of being a place where political and environmental issues have been discussed over a drink or meal, by the youth of Oslo!

Although, the clientele tend to be slightly older, professionals now, there is still much interest in discussing social and environmental topics.

Mon - Sat 11.00 - 03.30hrs
    Sun 1300 - 03.30hrs

Visa, Eurocard, Amex, Mastercard, Diners card accepted.

Favorite Dish: We all had Fish and Chips with salad.

The fish was Torsk (or Tusk) a fish similar to cod, that is native to the deep waters between Norway and Iceland (Also the West Coast of Scotland and Ireland) Our meal came attractively presented, with salad, peppers, lemon wedges, chunky chips and dressing.

3 had the local beer (dark lager) Frydenlund 49 nk
    I tried the local lager. Ringnes 56nk per pint

Guiness is also available for 56nk

• Beer Tasting

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Cafe Sara: Eating at Hausmanns gate

by Ekaterinburg Updated Sep 27, 2009

Funky decor at Cafe Sara

Cafe Sara is a cafe/bar/restaurant on Hausmanns gate, just around the corner from our hotel. This was one of the places I'd bookmarked from tips on VT and with one notable exception ( my dinner) it lived up to expectations. Packed, with mostly young people, we were lucky to get a table here at around 9.30 on Thursday evening . The interior is dark and cosy with a blue wooden ceiling lit up by a huge chandelier. Happy with the ambience we settled down to study the menu and were even more pleased. A good selection and prices ( by Oslo standards) were quite reasonable.. We had drinks , main courses and desert and the only problem was with my fish and chips, ordered with fish fresh from the sea in mind. The reality was two battered fish slices, courtesy of either Findus or Bird's Eye and I was not happy. I did complain but the waiter said it was the only fish they had and with a starving husband next to me, dying to get started on his dinner, I agreed to take it. So if you come here, just be careful of what you order.

Favorite Dish: My husband's main course a chicken kebab with corn rice and salad was huge, filling and tasted very good indeed. The deserts were also good so apart from the 'fish finger's', I would recommend Cafe Sara without hesitation. Incidentally, VT member Suvanki also has a tip on Cafe Sara, plus a photo of a delicious looking plate of fish and chips she enjoyed there.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Cafe Sara: Cafe Sara

by bonio Written Mar 6, 2012

Close to our hotel and enjoyed two visits here, that's pretty unusual for us.
    Friendly staff, good food, comfortable surroundings and a reasonable price, just the sort of place we like.
    Mrs B very happy with vegetarian choices as well.
    Enjoyed - very good!

Instant Answers: Oslo

Comments

Hotels Near Cafe Sara
3.5 out of 5 stars