Sult restaurant, Oslo

Thorvald Meyers gt. 26 at Grünerløkka

scallops...
    by call_me_rhia
  • call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Sult restaurant: sult= hunger... but you won't leave hungry

by call_me_rhia Updated Nov 15, 2006

scallops...

We chose sult because the online website proposed whale, which we unethically wanted to taste... but when we got there we were informed that they only serve it in the summer season. A bad start... and yet we had a marvellous meal.

The restaurant is unpretentious and packed with people (friendly people, I must add), and the staff very friendly.. they really deserve top marks.

Favorite Dish: The menu is not extensive but there are many delicious dishes to try out. I ended up having reindeer, and it was really good. There's also a daily menu (in norwegian only, written on a blackboard) which we discovered late, but not too late. From there we ordered scallops (heavenly) - a late starter I would call it. There are also plenty of yummy desserts.

• Architecture

• deptlads's Profile Photo

Sult restaurant: A restaurant called hunger?!

by deptlads Written Aug 6, 2005

Small restaurant in Grünerløkka that Andrew had read about on VT. The name translates into English as hunger.

You can't book, so you have to take pot luck. If it looks very busy there is a bar (Thirst) next door where you can wait, or there are lots of alternatives in the area.

Best description is unpretentious and laid back with good food. That'll do for us in a restaurant.

Favorite Dish: OK we have mixed thoughts about mentioning this here, but Andrew did order whale. (Hvalbiff) I tried telling him it was whale but tried thinking that is something else - a norwegian name for a cut of beef. It was only at the end of the meal (and after a text msg to one of our Oslo friends) that we asked the waitress.

We know the ethical arguments, but we're carnivores anyway and all of those debates apply to pigs, cows, lambs, dogs and so on. We are assured that it is not likely to have been one of the endangered species of whale.

Our biggest problem is now having tasted it. It is like the best steak you have ever had. Dave had always intended trying it on our Faroes trip, but Andrew beat him to it.

• travel-bugg's Profile Photo

Sult restaurant: DON'T MISS THE WHALE!

by travel-bugg Written Sep 7, 2004

Has a great atmosphere and yummy food. I tried Whale for the first time there and I can't stop talking about it. Completely exceeded my expectations and would go back in a minute if I were in Oslo.

Favorite Dish: Order whale -- you'll be pleasantly suprised.

Instant Answers: Oslo