Haugesund Off The Beaten Path

• Søre Åsen-A "green" Valley hidden in the...
    Reflections on the Storavatnet
  • The
    The "flowers" of Søre Åsen

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Haugesund

Søre Åsen

by adema29 Updated Jan 8, 2012

Green tree in S��re ��sen

I knew that it should be a place like this around Kårsto and I found it at last :)
    It was of course another surprise, as the wildness is even more visible and the feeling of being so small in that “swampy” Norwegian World is even bigger.
    How I knew it? It's so simple.
    Around each "BY" (village or town) in Norway, the locals have organised a place for walking, ussually around one of the million lakes they have in Norway.
    Being in Norway, I'm doing what Norwegians do, walking (sometime running) on those trails.
    The fresh air is boosting your power over the limits :)
    And, as usually is raining in that area, I found beautiful to do my "training" in a heavy cold rain in January... amazing, isn't it? :))

• Hiking and Walking

Rossafjellet-Sandbekken

by adema29 Written Nov 8, 2011

The trail starts here

I was looking for a "mountain" named Rossafjellet and I found instead a small stony hill.
    It is probably because in the area there are a lot of peaks having the same name...
    Even if it was an error, I will let you see the trip through my camera's eye :)
    If you want to go there, you shall only follow the traffic indicator
    to Sandebekken from Tysvær or Hervik.
    Sorry for the quality of the photos but the light was really bad... it was a nice "normal" day for this place :))

Climbing 454 m to Orna, near Skjoldalstraumen

by adema29 Updated Oct 16, 2011

Orna-probably it was early an antenna here!

I have started, a bit too late, this year to "climb" up to all the mountain peaks in the area.
    Orna is one of the first peaks I have reached, not so easy as I have expected.
    First of all, what Norwegians call "easy" was not so easy for me :)
    After that, the marking is not the best I have expected and my sport shoes were not the best option for the muddy tracks.
    Anyway, the view from the top is amazing. You can see far in all directions, even Vindafjorden and Boknfjorden... So it deserved all that effort..

A "swampy" walk in Sandbekken

by adema29 Written Oct 16, 2011

What I know for sure is that I will not go back o Sandbekken... never.
    In my mind, a track like this should show me something, a nice view, a beautiful lake... I don't know... something interesting.
    Instead of this I have found only a swamp. I felt so stupid and dirty and soaked when I have found myself, alone, in the middle of that mud.
    I have asked myself WHY. What was so interesting to justify that trip.
    If you are curious enough, go there (take your water proof clothes with you) and, please, open my eyes if you'll see something exciting in that place.

• SORHUS's Profile Photo

white white sandy beaches

by SORHUS Written Aug 18, 2006

sandvesanden

on karmøy u can find white white sandy beaches but it might be cold in the water since its out in the north sea..... but in late summer and after many warm days it might be just warm enough to go fo a swim :-)
    sandve sanden is my favourite its not a long beach but a deep one with cliffs to jump from and beach vollyball netts
    its about 40 min drive from haugesund and ca 15 min from Skudesnes ...the white town on Karmøy

• Beaches

Instant Answers: Haugesund

Comments

Haugesund Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Haugesund off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Haugesund sightseeing.