Related Stavanger Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Stavanger

• balhannah's Profile Photo

CRUISE PORT

by balhannah Written Aug 27, 2012

Favorite thing: We arrived in Stavanger by Cruise Ship, and we quite happy to find we docked right in the city centre. We were near the oldest part of Stavanger and the Markets. This made it very easy to walk around Stavanger, and we could go back to the Ship to have lunch, then continue on sightseeing.
    From one of the high decks, we had a great view of what there was to see, and which way to head first.

Stavanger Port View from the Ship View from the ship View from the ship
    • Cruise

• DAO's Profile Photo

THEY WOULDN'T LET ME GO !

by DAO Written Feb 10, 2012

Favorite thing:
    I have a lot of pages were I try and explain that I am a very accidental tourist. This would be one of those episodes.

I found an absolutely ridiculously low price for a Norwegian Cruise for 3 day. That’s usually how my stories start. Really cheap price. The advert in a local paper in the Newcastle, England area said £55 ($86) for a 2 night cruise! No way!

I rang the number and they said yes that was the price if I didn’t have a car. Nope, I didn’t want to take the car. They did tell me that I would have to share a cabin. Fair enough, for that price I could put up with snoring.

On the day of departure I found my boat more than a ship. Basic, but nice enough and found my 4 bed cabin. I though it would be 2 bed. Then nothing happened. No one lese arrived and I had the cabin to myself! Get in there!

Of we went, and then I found out just how rough the North Sea can be. Shocking. I was thrown around the cabin and the ship. Proper bruising.

No food was included and the meal in the dinning room would have cost about 75% of the entire cruise price. Luckily they had a store on aboard and I survived on wine, bead, cheese and meat. Not a bad existence.

So the ship lurches the next morning into the port here at Stavanger and I get ready to get off the ship and see what Norway really look like. This will be a new country and experience for me!

An announcement is made. “If you have a car – you can go down to your car and get off the ship! If you do not have a car – you may not leave the ship!”.

Oh! So, no, no Norway for me yet. Hmmm….no one mentioned this.

So we leave and go to the next port in the late afternoon and I have my rucksack ready.

Uh-oh! This is looking bad. Is it so cheap because I will not actually be allowed to go to Norway!? This is just cruel! I could have just flown and actually visited Norway.

So then we arrive in Bergen at 11pm. Great. Waiting for the ‘No car – you are stupid- get ready to return without stepping on Norwegian soil’ announcement.

The announcement!

You can go ashore, be back by 6am!

Well it was cheap.

Anyway, I did return here on the way back. Yep, collect car people and go back.

All in all, not a bad experience. It is beautiful here. From the boat.

Sadly this route and cruise was cancelled after 100 years in 2008.

Utstein Kloster-Utstein Abbey

by adema29 Updated Dec 16, 2011

Favorite thing: This is one of the few medieval monasteries in Norway.
    It is said that this is the best preserved one and I will believe it, mostly because I haven’t seen any other one yet.
    What I can say is that the church is beautiful. It is an early Gothic building and you’ll see this in my photos.
    The area is a very typical Norwegian one, the swans are there on the still lake, and the sheep, the old grave and rocky hills, small wooden houses and green pastures.
    If you love the nature and you need to spend some time with yourself, this may be a good place to go. And it’s only 30 minutes driving from Stavanger.

Utstein Kloster-The Church Utstein Kloster-view Utstein Kloster-Swans Utstein Kloster-inside Utstein Kloster-around

Zeeleeuw

by adema29 Updated Dec 16, 2011

Favorite thing: We have to recognize that even pronouncing such a name is challenging :)
    Zeeleeuw… Sea Lion
    Now it should be easier, isn’t it?
    I was than one of the lucky persons to see such a beauty, one day in Stavanger… Perhaps is not so often happening but, of course I have studied a bit to see who they are and what are they doing around.
    So, take a look at the link below and at my photos too, and… find out more about it. Not everything of course but… enough to become interested in submarines.

Fondest memory: I remember that I was so happy to make photos with my "first" submarine... only the officers on board didn't share with me the special feeling :(
    Anyway, I feel that it is part of my "freedom" to make photos with every "thing" I see in a public place... do you think that I'm wrong?! :(

Zeeleeuw in Stavanger 1 Zeeleeuw in Stavanger 2 Zeeleeuw in Stavanger 3 Zeeleeuw in Stavanger 4 Zeeleeuw in Stavanger 5

Admire the white houses in the Old Stavanger

by adema29 Updated Dec 16, 2011

Favorite thing: Get lost in the "Gamle" (old) Stavanger walking on the narrow stony streets, bordered by the oldest wooden houses in Northern Europe.
    The houses were built around 1700 and they are still very well preserved in the original form.
    Walking around you'll feel that those houses could tell you stories from the period before the "globalisation", the time when peple were able to live together without any problem.
    Now everything is changed... if is good or bad... it's only you to decide.

House 1-Gamle Stavanger House 2-Gamle Stavanger House 3-Gamle Stavanger Houses 4-Gamle Stavanger House 5-Gamle Stavanger

Ventura

by adema29 Written Jul 10, 2009

Favorite thing: I felt something special when I found a huge "something" trying to hide behind the old small wooden houses in Stavanger.
    And to hear the horn from all the Stavanger region calling for the lost guests is something too...

GUESTS 3,078
    CREW 1220
    TONNAGE 115,000
    LENGTH 290 m
    DECKS 15 MAIDEN VOYAGE April 18th 2008

Ventura 1 Ventura 3 Ventura 2

Cruises in Scandinavia-Queen Victoria

by adema29 Updated Jun 22, 2008

Favorite thing: I have found very interesting the presence of those huge vessels in the tinny port of Stavanger.
    I could feel the emotions of the old Norwegians joining the newcomers with an unstoppable thirst for the new stories and not only:)... Spending the life in the valleys and islands around the Fjord, the arrival of any vessel here in the port, was an inexhaustible source of news, a real "ancient Internet connection" with all the rest of the world.
    I could imagine the sailors improving the stories according with the audience expectations and covering in that way their unfulfilled dreams...
    Is so much lyrism in those arrivals and walk aways than I couldn't imagine until now.

Fondest memory: I have seen here Queen Victoria.... Impressive.
    And I am still looking for this.
    Some general information about it?
    *Queen Victoria:
    -first voyage 11.12.2007
    -Tonnage 90 000 GRT
    -Lenght 293.8 m
    -Passengers 2014
    -Passenger Decks 14

Queen Victoria... the Great Leaving the It fiiled-up the port It is huge isn't it?

Cruises again-Grand Princess

by adema29 Updated Jun 21, 2008

Favorite thing: Living in Stavanger you cannot miss the Cruise Vessels.
    You might see them from everywhere. They are huge and coming/going in/from the small port is always impressive.
    When you hear their horns you cannot resist to your unstoppable wishing to go out on the port and see them coming or going...

Fondest memory: To see those huge vessels from the tinny old city is a real experience. You have to try it at least once. Hiking to the top of the hill you will be for sure surprised by the immensity of the ships anchored down in the port.
    Grand Princess:
    -Lenght 290 m
    -Capacity 2600 tourists
    -Staff 1100
    -18 passenger decks
    -nightclub suspended across the stern, 150 feet above the water(see photos).

Great isn't it? A view from the old city Over the roofs of the old city Full lenght Compare it with the

Cruise- Aidaaura

by adema29 Written Jun 22, 2008

Favorite thing: *AIDAaura
    -first voyage 11.12.2007 2003
    -Tonnage 42289 GRT
    -Lenght 202,8 m
    -Passengers 1300
    -Passenger Decks 12

Look at the buildings behind-compare it with them Looking to the port..always there for a new cruise 1300 people saying good by! Stupid design isn't it?! Going to the next port...Bergen Perhaps

Oceana-Cruise

by adema29 Updated Jun 22, 2008

Favorite thing: Always coming and going... Another Cruise Ship then.

Oceana:
    -Lenght 261,2 m
    -Passenger Decks 11
    -Capacity max 2272
    -Crew 875
    -Tonnage 77499 GRT (8293 DWT)

Oceana1 Oceana2

Victoria Hotel Stavanger
Latest: Jun 29, 2014
Skansen Hotel

Instant Answers: Stavanger

Comments

Stavanger Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Stavanger locals.
Map of Stavanger