Solvorn Travel Guide

This is how we walked
    by riksti
    A closer look at the glacier
    by riksti
    Geared up and ready to go

Solvorn Things to Do

• riksti's Profile Photo

by riksti Written Jun 5, 2007

All the information we looked at for the Solvorn area suggested we go and see the Urnes Church. And after extensive walking and driving around the various natural sites we thought some architecture might be a nice change. But the stave church wasn't just an average church - it was definitely the oldest (or at least the oldest looking) church I've seen.

Despite being small, the church has many aspects that you might not see in bigger and more impressive religious buildings. And the local guide is more than happy to explain and answer the questions you might have.

The oldest church in Norway

Solvorn Off The Beaten Path

• riksti's Profile Photo

by riksti Written Jun 5, 2007

When we were driving around in the Sognefjord area my friend suggested going for a glacier walk. Her being a rock climbing enthusiast I was a bit wary and suspected my general fitness level might not quite be up to the climb but she managed to change my mind. And I'm glad she did!

The glacier walk was by far the best thing we did on our trip. Yes it was awkward but it was also like nothing I've ever done and a look at a glacier like I've never had. And it wasn't really that dangerous. Only one person stumbled and fell and I'm glad to say it gave her nothing but a bruised knee which healed in a few weeks. Not that I'd know... hem... anyway...

At 170 NOK it's fairly steep price but definitely worth paying, if for nothing else then for the once-in-a-lifetime experience.

The equipment is provided by the organisers and they'll even give you footwear if yours isn't suitable for the metal hook things they normally attach to your feet. Just have something with long sleeves with you and a big bottle of water to quench your thirst. Ohh, and your camera!

Geared up and ready to go A closer look at the glacier This is how we walked
    • Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Solvorn

Comments

Solvorn Travel Guide
Map of Solvorn