Unique Places in Troms Region

• Off The Beaten Path
    by Gili_S

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Troms Region

by morten-skandfer Updated Apr 4, 2011

Summer has passed, short, hectic, bright and beautiful. The contrast to the winter is strong, the experience also. In these pages I have put several pictures from travels in the World. But any journey is really just a detour, on my way HOME. That is very clear to me, as I reach a summit, explore the archipelago or trek in the interior of Troms County. This must be the most beautiful region in the world! I surely haven't seen anything like this!

• Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Skiing and Boarding

• Skiing and Boarding
    • Hiking and Walking

• kirstylm's Profile Photo

Hurtigruten, and Hammerfest

by kirstylm Written Aug 8, 2006

Would definitely recommend a trip on the Hurtigruten (cruise ship). We just did a 24 hour trip from Tromso to Hammerfest - and was lucky enough to see the Northern Lights for about 4 hours on our way back.

You get the ship at about 6pm from Tromso and arrive in Hammerfest at 5am (you can catch a few hours sleep in the lounge if its not busy season). After wandering around in Hammerfest for a few hours, you then catch the ship back at midday, arriving at Tromso just before midnight.

There are different ships calling at each port every day. On the way up we had a slightly older smaller ship, but coming back we had one of the newer, much bigger + fancier ships! Really exciting - even with outdoor jacuzzi's!

When arrive in Hammerfest (6am!), the hotel right near the harbour opens for breakfast at about 8am, and they could hold your luggage for you while you explore the little town!

At the other side of the harbour, on a small hill, is the Meridian Monument which commemorates the completion of a survey done in the early 1800's to establish a meridian arc between Hammerfest and the Danube River (the determine the shape and size of the earth) - or something like that! But anyway, there's a really great view of the town from here.

There's also a stunning little church at the other end of the town.

Hammerfest is apparently north Norway's oldest town, and also claims to be the most northern city in the world - although that depends on what you define as a city! Either way, well worth a look!

• Scandic's Profile Photo

Check when the sun goes down

by Scandic Updated Mar 6, 2004

The sun is very beautiful there in North, specially in the Summer and Spring. Don't miss those moments, because shadows are wonderful and everything seems to be made of gold. And those moments last more than 15 minutes, like it does not there in South.

• Scandic's Profile Photo

Sommarö

by Scandic Written Jan 7, 2003

I told about Sommarö in my travelogue and there you can find the map too. It really is worth of visiting if you have a car. But I'm sure that there are a bunch of beautiful places nearby Troms, but I didn't have time to be there. But Sommarö was amazing and the weather was good then. Make sure you have enough gas in your car, 'cause there arem't many gas station in that area and gas costs a lot in Norway.

Troms Region Hotels

3 Hotels
Fagernes Hotels
Andselv Hotels

Instant Answers: Troms Region

Comments

Troms Region Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Troms Region off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Troms Region sightseeing.
Map of Troms Region