Unique Places in Europe

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Europe

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

The Little Squares

by Maryimelda Updated Feb 19, 2014

Of course Europe is well known for its famous array of grand squares which adorn most, if not all of the big cities. I have stood mouth agape in many of them in the course of my European holidays. But many of those same cities and indeed, the smaller cities, towns and villages have numerous "little" squares which are delightful places to sit and eat a crusty roll 'avec le fromage et le jambon' and people watch at the same time.
    Paris is especially renowned for its "little squares" which can be found in abundance all over the city. One of my favourites in Paris is the Place de la Contrescarpe which can be found right near the oft called "ancient" Rue Mouffetard in the 5 eme. If Rue Mouffetard is on your things to do list in Paris, be sure to take a few minutes to sit in this lovely little square and watch the world go by.

Place de la Contrescarpe Opposite the Palais de Justice de Paris

• DAO's Profile Photo

THE GRAVE OF DICK TURPIN - OUTLAW (YORK)

by DAO Written Jan 31, 2014

Dick Turpin was not born in York (Northern England). He was just executed here. Don’t be upset, Mr. Turpin was a bad man. He started out life in the south and was born in 1706. He grew up without too much fuss and was best friends with his own schoolmaster. He married, became a butcher, and then began to thieve livestock. In those days such theft was punishable by the death penalty.

He was caught in the act of stealing oxen and fled. He later joined the Gregory Gang, a ruthless band or real-life brothers. They specialised in raiding isolated houses. Their evil exploits made the newspapers of the day. Constables met up with the gang one day in a tavern and captured the Gregory Gang – except Dick Turpin. Good old Dick jumped through a window and escaped. The Gregory Gang was hanged, as thieves were.

Dick then went on to become criminal partners with Tom King, "the Gentleman Highwayman". The 2 men set up in Epping Forest, where they found a lucrative trade in robbing carriages along the highway. Turpin eventually turned to murder during this time. One of his theft was of a fine horse he called ‘Black Bess’ from a Mr. Major. He handed out handbills describing the horse and the horse thief. Constables receive information of where Black Bess was and waited in ambush. Tom King showed up and a gunfight erupted. Turpin arrived and accidentally shot King who died. Turpin, as he had before, escaped.

Taking advantage of his good luck he drifted north using the name John Palmer and kept a low profile. Unfortunately he angered his landlord who made enquiries and the truth was revealed. His fate finally sealed by his old schoolmaster who recognised his handwriting. He was put to death on 7 April 1739.

You can find him here:
    In George Street Cemetery, York, England.
    Directions: In a residential part of the city, opposite St. George's Church not far from Walmgate Bar. It is in a small forgotten cemetery that has no church. It is the only upright headstone and is at the rear.

THE GRAVE OF DICK TURPIN - OUTLAW (YORK, ENGLAND) THE GRAVE OF DICK TURPIN - OUTLAW (YORK, ENGLAND) THE GRAVE OF DICK TURPIN - OUTLAW (YORK, ENGLAND) THE GRAVE OF DICK TURPIN - OUTLAW (YORK, ENGLAND) THE GRAVE OF DICK TURPIN - OUTLAW (YORK, ENGLAND)

• CarolinaShinigami's Profile Photo

The Adventures of a Cypriot Cowboy

by CarolinaShinigami Written Nov 28, 2013

When I arrived in the port of Limassol, I decided to purchase two tours: One to do a donkey ride and another to tour Limassol (Another journal). I wanted to do the donkey ride tour first because I thought that it would be fun to ride a donkey- Heck, I rode camels in Kuwait and Qatar, a horse in Baltimore, Maryland, and drove a Humvee in the middle of the deserts of Iraq like a monster truck, so I decided to cross off donkeys from my animals or vehicles to ride on list.
    I had to get up very early in the morning because the tour was an all-day affair. I ate a quick breakfast and left the ship to get on the bus to head out. I met my tour guide. Her name was Georgina, and she was a local of Limassol. She could speak English very fluently, but I noticed that she liked to stress her S very heavy at the end like a cobra snake threatening to bite someone. She gave us a history lesson and told us what the tour group would see during the ride to the farm.
    The drive would take four hours one way from Limassol to drive on the eastern coast of Cyprus. Even though this took a while, my tour guide ensured us that we would not be disappointed by showing some famous landmarks of the island. One of the most famous landmark of the island is the area where Aphrodite was born (Yes, you read it here; she was not born in Greece but Cyprus). Another interesting fact I learned from my tour guide is that Cyprus is a very arid even though it is an island nation. The country receives rain less than one month for the entire year. The country deals with this by using desalination plants to convert salt water to fresh water. After the drive, the bus arrived at the destination.
    The tour group had to get off the bigger buses and ride a smaller bus to get to the actual farm. That meant driving on unpaved roads on sloping hills. The ride to the farm would be very bumpy, shaky, and at a point, close falling off a cliff. The driver of the bus would speed through the unpaved roads like he was on fire. Fortunately, I survived the affair to arrive at the farm.
    Argonftis Donkey Farm is situated on the country side of Cyprus. The area is so beautiful that it is picturesque. The clash of mountains and blue skies shook my soul to no end; everything on the farm was beautiful. My tour guide broke my hypnotized gaze of the countryside to eat some snacks that farm offered. The hosts of the farm offered Cyprus orange juice (Cyprus is the leading market of oranges in Europe), cheese, bread, and ESPECIALLY wine. If there is one thing that Cyprus love doing, it is making wine- One that stands out is the Zavania (a.k.a Cyprus Water). The first time I drank this wine, I didn’t know what hit me. This wine is so strong in taste that I thought I was drinking paint thinner; the wine was so strong that I felt my entire body burning. They say some alcohol drink will put hair on your chest, but this drink will make you look like Bigfoot.
    As my tour group continued to snack and drink, our tour guide rounded us up to the donkeys. The hosts (Who were cool guys) would teach us how to ride the donkey properly. The instructions were quick and simple, so half of the group would ride first whereas the others would take the small bus up to an old Greek church. The ride to the church was exciting and fun. I had an easy-going donkey that I could control for the most part, and so, I named him Eeyore. Riding a donkey across the beautiful country side of Cyprus is an experience anyone should experience. The ride was peaceful and meditating whereas the scenery was amazing.
    My group stopped at the Greek Church, and we got off donkeys to tie them on a wooden stand. Our tour guide took the entire group to explore the church. This church was built for Greek monks to worship during the daytime. This church is no longer used except for tourism purpose. Even so, I imagined what it must have been like to be a monk to worship at this church with such beautiful scenery. After an hour, our tour guide gather us around her, and our hosts gave us Cyprus oranges (These are more watery and less acidic than oranges from the United States of America). After we ate them, the groups switched who rode what back to the farm.
    As everyone came back, our hosts prepared a huge feast of Greek-oriented BBQ. This wonderful feast consisted of these items: Lamb, chicken, beef, rice, mixed vegetables, orange juice, wine, and let us not forget Zavania. The food was perfectly cooked. Everyone in the group was having a blast! Our hosts changed in local, cultural clothing. They were preparing us to do a lot of dancing, and a lot of dancing we would do. Everything that the hosts offered was fun and enjoyable. I can speak for everyone who did the tour with me, and we all had fun. For some, it was too much fun that some people on the trip couldn’t hold in their alcohol, if you know what I mean. Even so, I shall always remember this trip and hope to return one day.

Donkeys Dam near the farm The truck that would take me to the bumpy ride Church

• DAO's Profile Photo

THE ZEPPELIN BUILDING

by DAO Written Apr 21, 2013

This is an amazing piece of history that is located on the side of a fairly non-descript road in London. During World War I, Germany used massive Zeppelin rigid airships as bombers during the first half of the war. Essentially these were massive 196 metres (643 ft) long balloons with a diameter of 24 metres (79 ft). From 1915 to 1917 they were able to bomb London freely because they operated at altitudes up to 5,000 metres (16,500 feet) and moved at speed of 80kph (50mph). Fighter planes at the time took 50 minutes to reach just 3048 metres (10,000 ft). They also were above the range of anti-aircraft guns of that era. The original building on this site was completely destroyed during the most successful of all the Zeppelin raids on London on September 8, 1915. The building at 61 Farringdon Road was hit by a bomb from Zeppelin L13 commanded by Kapitänleutnant Heinrich (1883-1916) Heinrich Mathy. This single zeppelin and bombing run caused half the damage of all Zeppelin raids on Britain in 1915.

The building at the time was occupied by the Brass Foundry and Lamp Co. Ltd. As well as West and Price Jewellers. The building was rebuilt in the last year of Zeppelin Raids – 1917. The Managing Director of the Brass Foundry and Lamp Company, Mr. John Phillips, is listed on the plaque commemorating the rebuilding. It says ‘The’ World War as the much more damaging Blitz of World War II would not occur for another 20 years. The building is painted a very Zeppelin like grey and it architecturally different from its neighbours. Today the building is listed as 59-61 Farringdon Road and interestingly houses a business specialising in first aide training (RST Ltd.).

There are other plaques and memorials to these raids in London:

• 31 Nevill Road, Hackney. The first bomb of World War I to fall from a Zeppelin on London 30 May 1915
    • Lincoln's Inn Chapel Undercroft, bomb damage 13 October 1915
    • Dolphin Tavern, Red Lion Street, Holborn, London, WC1R 4PF. The clock on display still shows the time of 10.40 pm on 9th September 1915 when 3 men were killed.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Bretzenheim Eremitage, Rhineland Palatinate

by Maryimelda Updated Nov 13, 2012

Each and every day I spent exploring the Rhineland Palatinate with Ingrid (VTer Trekki) was an absolute joy. She put so much effort into choosing the best places for me to see in the short time I had available and there was nothing that I found disappointing in any way. However, she outdid herself when she took me to see the Hermitage at Bretzenheim.

Carved out of red rock in prehistoric times, it is believed to have been used as a place of pagan worship originally. It was later (about the 5th century) used as a Mitthraem or a temple for a Mithras cult in Roman times.

The first written record of the site dates back to the 11th century when a chapel was built as it had become a popular place of pilgrimage at that time. Sadly after very heavy rain in the area a landslide buried the site in 1567 and it was not rediscovered till the 18th century when a new chapel was built on the former foundations. The Archbishop of Mainz appointed a group of hermits to care for the site. Once more it became a popular site for pilgrims. The last hermit passed away in 1827 and the property (which was at that time owned by the French Government) was auctioned off and much of the red rock was excavated and used to build other churches in the area.

It is believed that Napoleon took shelter here during the French invasion of Germany in the 17th century.

A wonderful lady who organises tours of the site met us there in the late afternoon and gave us a lengthy tour and discourse on the history of the Hermitage. It was obvious that she had a passion for the site and was extremely proud to show us around. For the second time that day, we lucked out and were the only ones there. I will never forget this place.

Ancient Hermitage
    • Archeology

Austria > Haag Open Air Museum

by globetrott Updated Aug 1, 2012

This open air museum shows plenty of old farmhouses, watermills, sheds, agricultural machines and a lot more.
    Stadt Haag is just 5 km off the highway A1 from Salzburg - Linz - Vienna.
    Take the exit "Stadt Haag" bewteen Amstetten and Enns, it is at highway-km 140.
    There is NO entrance fee and you can enter the museum any time you want - only if you want to go inside any of the buildings and see the great interior of the old farmhouses, you have to stick to certain times, when a guard is around - and it is still free of charge !

GERMANY - Bernkastel-Kues

by globetrott Updated Aug 1, 2012

Bernkastel-Kues is one of the most important and most beautiful places along the valley of the river Mosel / Moselle.
    Bernkastel is in fact just about 30 km off Frankfurt/Hahn, the airport of Ryanair, that might have given you the feeling to fly to Frankfurt am Main (but THAT is about 150km away...)
    Walk up the castle or hike through the vinyards, drink some wine and explore the village with great and lovely half-timbered houses.
    In my last picture: one of the most narrow houses I have ever seen !

For more infos and more than 50 pics, simply click on my link below !!

Bernkastel-Kues by globetrott
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Wine Tasting

CZECH REPUBLIC - Hluboka castle

by globetrott Updated Aug 1, 2012

Hluboka castle is one of the most beautiful palaces in Europe ! This great castle was built on a small hill overlooking the plain and the lakes in the area north of Ceske Budejovice ( Budweis )
    An excursion to Hluboka might take the whole day, when you want to explore all the different guided tours through the castle, the old castle kitchen, the appartments of the Schwarzenberg family, the armoury chamber, the wintergarden and riding-school, the large park...
    So take your time - a part of the castle was also turned into a modern hotel !
    Click on my link below and read more about this great castle / palace in Czech Republic !

Hluboka castle my selfmade-postcard door handle of Hluboka castle / Czechia Hluboka - the 2nd innercourt the smoking-saloon in Hluboka Hluboka castle interior
    • Castles and Palaces

CROATIA - Plitvice National Park

by globetrott Updated Aug 1, 2012

Plitvice Lakes and National Park are my best memory of a vacation in my childhood. These lakes on different levels are combined with each other by lots of small or large waterfalls and a long path is leading through the national park, taking you to all the important places, including a large cave that once gave the background to an old western movie. You will find a camping-site and a hotel directely at the lake, its a paradise for children with flat and clear water. All of these old photographs were taken in 1967 by myself or any of brothers.
    For more pics and infos - click on my link below and have a look on my Plitvice-page !
    It is a pity that large areas in and around that lake are nowadays a very dangerous place to walk just a tiny bit away from the beaten paths, as land-mines are still to be found there now,
    after the Balkan-conflicts some years ago !!!

Plitvice CROATIA - Plitvice CROATIA - Plitvice National Park CROATIA - Plitvice National Park CROATIA - Plitvice National Park
    • National/State Park

a place in Germany for all Hundertwasser - fans

by globetrott Updated Aug 1, 2012

Abensberg is a small town between Regensburg and Ingolstadt in Bavaria / Germany and its most interesting sight might be a tower that was built by the austrian painter Friedensreich Hundertwasser next to a local brewery. The Hundertwasser - Turm / Hundertwasser - tower is only about 35 meters high, although the plans of the architects had been first a tower 70 meters high. But then bureaucacy started to fight against it, because the churchtower was just 50 meters high and so on and so forth...
    The only way to step up that tower is by a guided tour through the brewery that ends at the tower and will include also a glass of beer and a Brezel, that you can enjoy in the beergarden right under the tower.
    The rest of the town is interesting as well, when you like to see baroque houses and some remains of the medieval townwalls.
    Click on my link below and read more about it in my Abensberg-page !

Abensberg / Bavaria: the Hundertwasserturm Abensberg / Bavaria: the Hundertwasserturm Abensberg / Bavaria Abensberg / Bavaria Abensberg / Bavaria: the Hundertwasserturm

GERMANY - Potsdam - Sanssouci & the old Fritz

by globetrott Updated Aug 1, 2012

Potsdam is a small town right in the outskirts of BERLIN / Germany ! You can take the subway to get to one of the most beautiful palaces in Europe that way !
    "Sans souci" is the french expression for " without trouble / sorrows" and this name was choosen by King Friedrich the Great for his summerpalace in Potsdam, because he was trying to get a palace, far away from busy Berlin and far away from "his job" as a king.
    Friedrich the Great was rather a pilosopher, composer and flutist than a king or a strategist.
    He wanted to build a palace , where he could meet friends, play the flute, discuss about philosphy and have a simple, peaceful life umong his friends and visitors from all over Europe.
    This castle was ment to be an equivalent for Versailles...
    Friedrich the Great was also called "the old Fritz" by the local people and the old Fritz was also famous for travelling with his carriage through his country in order to teach his farmers, how to plant and harvest potatoes...

For more infos and pics - please have a look on my Potsdam-page !

Potsdam - Sanssouci

GERMANY - Mosel / Moselle - valley

by globetrott Updated Aug 1, 2012

The river Mosel / Moselle originates from France and will finally flow into the river Rhine in Koblenz. The part of the Mosel-valley between Berncastel / Kues and Koblenz can be seen by cruise-ships. Watch out for some really great castles like Cochem and Burg Eltz ( not directely in the Mosel-valley, but 3km from there - see it in my 3rd picture ) and lots of lovely half-timbered houses in Berncastel and many more of the small villages in the valley, also well known for its great Mosel-wines !
    The easiest way to drive through the Mosel-valley is from Koblenz and it will take a full day to explore all of the most beautiful sights of the Mosel-valley, when you have a car !
    On the link below: my Bernkastel-page !

Cochem in the Mosel-valley The Mosel seen from Cochem castle Burg Eltz, 3km from the Mosel-valley the mosel seen from a castle in Bernkastel Bernkastel / Cues
    • Cruise

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Traunkirchen & the famous "Fisher-pulpit"

by globetrott Updated Aug 1, 2012

in this picture you will see Traunkirchen, a lovely small village on Traunsee in Austria - and the big mountain in the background is called 'Traunstein'. On the road it will be a distance of maybe 15 Km from Hallstatt or from Gmunden - and you can also take the train to go there.
    Don't miss the great church with the famous "Fischer-Kanzel", a pulpit made in the design of a fisherboat ! "fishing for souls" seems to have been the idea of that architect - see it in my 2nd picture !
    Traunkirchen is also a great daytrip from Salzburg, in combination with Hallstatt, Gmunden and St. Gilgen or Bad Ischl.

Traunkirchen & Traunstein in Austria the fisher-pulpit in Traunkirchen / Austria Traunsee
    • Hiking and Walking

AUSTRIA - Vienna - Dr. Sigmund Freud-museum

by globetrott Updated Jul 3, 2012

In Berggasse 19 ( close to Univerity and Votivirche ) you can visit Dr.Sigmund Freud's medical practice.
    Dr.Freud left Vienna in 1938 and went to London, where he died.
    In 1971 the rooms of the former practice were turned into a museum and Anna Freud gave plenty of private belongings,pictures and furniture to the museum as a donation.
    So you can see Freud's famous Sofa and other personal belongings, you will see a video of
    20 minutes about the founder of the psychoanalysis
    Sigmund-Freud-Museum A-1090 Wien - Berggasse19
    the museum is open daily 09.00 a.m. - 05.00 p.m.
    (and July till september even till 06.00 p.m.)
    5 Euro entrance-fee and you will get a big booklet
    with infos in German,English,French,Italian and Spanish
    and Audioguides in German and English
    ---------
    When standing on the Ringstraße in front of Votivkirche -
    take " Währingerstraße " on the right of Votivkirche
    Berggasse will be the 5th street to the right

the entrance of the museum Freud
    • Study Abroad

IRELAND - Kilmore Quai & Tacumshane windmill

by globetrott Updated Jul 3, 2012

Kilmore Quai is a small village, 10 Km south of Wexford in Ireland.
    A very small road will take you there and most of the houses will be straw-thatched and some even have Palmtrees in their garden, that comes because of the warm Golf-stream passing by here.
    There is a great sandy beach, a museum of shipping and plenty of the houses may be rented by tourists.
    Tacumshane is a small village nearby and it shows this nice windmill.
    It is privately owned - you enter the ground and there is a small window, where to buy a ticket for 1-2 € and may also see the mill from inside.

Ireland -Kilmore Quai and Tacumshane windmill

437 Reviews - 1584 Photos
Salou Hotels
170 Reviews - 301 Photos

Instant Answers: Europe

Comments

Europe Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Europe off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Europe sightseeing.
Map of Europe

Popular Countries in Europe

United Kingdom Off The Beaten Path  Italy Off The Beaten Path  Spain Off The Beaten Path  France Off The Beaten Path  Germany Off The Beaten Path  Greece Off The Beaten Path  Netherlands Off The Beaten Path  Portugal Off The Beaten Path  Ireland Off The Beaten Path  Switzerland Off The Beaten Path  Croatia Off The Beaten Path  Belgium Off The Beaten Path  Sweden Off The Beaten Path  Austria Off The Beaten Path  Norway Off The Beaten Path  Poland Off The Beaten Path  Russia Off The Beaten Path  Denmark Off The Beaten Path  Czech Republic Off The Beaten Path  Hungary Off The Beaten Path  Cyprus Off The Beaten Path  Finland Off The Beaten Path  Bulgaria Off The Beaten Path  Romania Off The Beaten Path  Slovenia Off The Beaten Path  Malta Off The Beaten Path  FYR of Macedonia Off The Beaten Path  Iceland Off The Beaten Path  Ukraine Off The Beaten Path  Republic of Montenegro Off The Beaten Path  Estonia Off The Beaten Path  Bosnia and Herzegovina Off The Beaten Path  Lithuania Off The Beaten Path  Republic of Serbia Off The Beaten Path  Albania Off The Beaten Path  Slovakia Off The Beaten Path  Latvia Off The Beaten Path  Luxembourg Off The Beaten Path  Gibraltar Off The Beaten Path  Monaco Off The Beaten Path  Belarus Off The Beaten Path  Moldova Off The Beaten Path  Vatican City Off The Beaten Path  Andorra Off The Beaten Path  Faroe Islands Off The Beaten Path  Svalbard Off The Beaten Path

More Countries in Europe

Europe Members Meetings

Jul 24, 2014
Tomorrowland '14 Group
Jul 25, 2014
Meet up for lunch or just gelato
Jul 26, 2014