Bielsko-Biala Travel Guide

• Favorites
    by halikowski
    Entering the town from the train
    by rdywenur
  • This little shop has my name on it....a good omen
    This little shop has my name on it....a...
    by rdywenur

Bielsko-Biala Things to Do

St. Nicholas' Cathedral, Bielsko-Biala

by Ben-UK Updated May 22, 2006

The Cathedral was built in the Gothic style between 1443 and 1447. At the beginning of the 20th century it was substantially rebuilt to a design by the Viennese architect Leopold Bauer. The bell tower is 61 metres high.

• Architecture

Bielsko-Biala street

by Ben-UK Written May 26, 2005

If you wander around the old market square area, you'll come across some beautiful little streets like the one in my photo -- sorry I don't know the street name but you'll find your own favourite I'm sure.

Bielsko-Biala Castle

by Ben-UK Updated May 26, 2005

Originally built in the 14th century, the castle has undergone many changes -- destroyed by the Swedes in 1645 and damaged by fires in 1753,1808 and 1836, what you see today is a mix of Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance architecture. The current version was designed between 1855 and 1864 by the Viennese architect Jan Pötzelmeyer.

The castle belonged to the Piasts from Cieszyn, the Hungarian Sunneghs and finally the Sulkowski princes (until 1945). Today, it houses the museum and is used for permanent and temporary exhibitions and chamber music concerts.

Unfortunately when we visited the museum it was closed. Its opening hours are a bit confusing -- I think it's open Wednesdays and Fridays 09-00 to 14-00, Thursdays
    10-00 to 18-00, Saturdays 10-00 to 15-00 and Sundays 09-00 to 15-00

• Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits

Bielsko-Biala Hotels

Bielsko-Biala Restaurants

• rdywenur's Profile Photo

by rdywenur Written Mar 23, 2008

This was a restaurant we stopped for a bite to eat and a piwo for our thirst. It was nice to just rest and watch the people walking by.

Bielsko-Biala Off The Beaten Path

Szyndzielnia

by Ben-UK Updated May 26, 2005

The beautiful mountain Szyndzielnia (1026 metres high) is not too far from Bielsko-Biala.
    I was fortunate to go by car with a Polish friend, but I'm sure you could take a bus there.

It's a beautiful walk to the top along a good, tree-lined path -- or you can take the cable car -- we did that on the way down, from where I took the attached photo.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Bielsko-Biala

Comments

Bielsko-Biala Travel Guide
Map of Bielsko-Biala