The huge artificial lake in the mountains (shore line - 150 km!), made by the Solina Dam. One big island inside and interesting places around. The lake is popular amongst sailors, anglers, water sports and fans of recreation on the water.
In villages and small towns at the shore you can easy find a place for sleeping and rent a boat, canoe or what else. The most popular places are: Solina, Polanczyk, Myczkowce, Jawor, Chrewt and Rajskie.
Unfortunately it's no longer a choo-choo train like for instance Mocanita in Maramuresz(Romania) but it's a kind of local attraction. There are two possibilities-you may board in Przyslup and go to Cisna or Majdan, or from Majdan to Wola Michowa. I personally recommend this second option as the area is more interesting -up and down the mountains. However if you choose this option remember to plan your route back also by train, as Wola Michowa is quite distant and the bus operates there only maximum four times a day.
The regular trains operate only in summer (till the end of September); three years ago we chose to rent a motor car (not hand!!!) instead of going by train which was a great idea!
Of course people come to Bieszczady to hike in the mountains, see Orthodox churches or so. But if you like to feel this rush of adrenaline go to Czarna and on the slopes of the mountain called Zukow try zorbing or other extreme sports.
Built in the end of 19th century and forgotten after communism's collaps in 1989, now is a famous tourist attraction in the region. To be honest its route is not so exciting, going mainly in the valleys and forests, but the journey could interesting, especially in the open carriages. Personally I think it is a best proposition for families with children and integrating/incentive trips for firms.
At the moment (2006) the trains go almost during holidays (July-August), in other months there are only few of them. But plans are ambitious - the Foundations that runs the railway want to prepare new lines, more trains and connections not only for tourist, but also for local people (now the train is too slow for efective people transport between places).
Everything what you could want to know about the choo-choo train - the routes, history, schedule, tickets' prices, gallery and what else - you can find on the official train's website. There is an English version of the page, too.
The shortest way to the Polonina is from saddle Wyznia (a few kilometers from the village of Wetlina; on the spot there is the parking place and bus-stop) to the refuge "Chatka Puchatka" (1228 m). The yellow route that is established there one can pass up to 1 hour.
By the edge goes the main route of Bieszczady (color red). On the right (East) it leads to Berehy, next to Polonina Carynska and then to Ustrzygi Gorne, Tarnica (the highest mount in Polish Bieszczady - 1346 m) and Wolosate. On the left (West) one can go to village of Komancza, via peaks of Roh, Hnatowe Berdo, Smerek, Okraglik and the Cisna village.
The mountain range in the south-eastern part of Poland, a part of Bieszczady Mountains, beautiful place and still one of the least exploited by man part of the Polish nature. Famous for its gorgeous landscapes and great scenic points.
Like in the rest of Bieszczady there is no so called "upper regiel", the level of flora. There are only three of them: foot-hills (valleys), lower regiels and polonina (or alpine grass-lands, above 1150 m). The highest peak of Polonina Wetlinska is Roh (1255 m).
(Ukrainian: Ropycja Rus'ka) The Church of St. Michael the Archangel dates from 1819 and is in the Lemko style with bell tower, nave and sanctuary all attached and in line. A large interior gathering space surrounds the bell tower unlike many others. There is also a covered entry gate through the low, shigle protected fence. Note the shingled domes. This is the way traditional structures were built. Many tserkvas have metal covered domes, a more "modern" inovation. This tserkva was in the deanery of Horlytsi, now Gorlice.
(Ukrainian: Repid') The church of St. Nicholas dates from 1826. It is of East Lemko Oslawa type with three log chambers. The three storey bell tower detached but in line. It has a stone fence and a traditional covered entrance gate. The iconostasis is also from 1826 but has polychrome walls from 1896. It has been used as a Roman Catholic kostel since 1949 but now is also used by an Orthodox parish.
(Ukrainian: Shchavnyk) Dormition of the Blessed Virgin Mary dates from 1888. It is a traditional East Lemko tserkva built of logs in three chambers. The three storey bell tower (1889) is separate, but in line with the three. The iconostasis is from 1888 and has figurative polychrome walls from 1925. It is not under the protection of the state as a valuable archicetural structure so materials here are not authentic. Crafstmanship has prevailed, however and the structure is in good usable and weather protected form.
(Ukrainian: Mochary) This tserkva served a parish of 700 before the banishment. It was built in 1903 replacing an earlier structure and dedicated to St. Nicholas the Miracle Worker. It is in Boyko style of three two-storey chambers with a wide overhanging opasanya. Since 1951 it was used as a storage shed, but has been restored. It has a gatehouse of squared logs and has been fitted with a ramp to be accessible to the residents of the nearby home for the disabled.
Looking up the valley across the road from St Nicholas, the Poland/Ukraine border is only 6km.
(Ukrainian: Hoshiv) St. Nicholas the Miracle Worker was built in 1858 and is a tserkva in Hutsul style with three chambers and three storeys. It has a wide overhanging opasanya all the way around the structure. It is in a beautiful location on a hilltop and is prestly a Roman Catholic kostel.
(Ukrainian: Rivnya) This is an early 18th century tserkva in Boyko style. Each of its three log chambers is square. There are two domes and a square roof, all in singles. The central changes from square to octagon then an octagonal dome. It was restored in 1975 and is presently a Roman Catholic kostel.
(Ukrainian: Komancha) Under the patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary and erected in 1805. This tserkva has four log chambers in line with four domes. The bell tower is detached and in line. This is a state protected site. It has been used by an Orthodox community since 1963.
(Ukrainian: Turyns'ke) This beautiful five-domed tserkva is dedicated under St. Michael the Archangel and dates from 1838. It is in cruciform plan with side arms placed closer to the altar chamber. It has a detached three-storey bell tower in line with the major three chambers. It once served a parish of 800, but is now an active Orthodox church again. It has wonderful interior polychromes of the protection of the Virgin, Christ in a peasant's home, angels and banners.
(Ukrainian: Perehrymka) This tserkva is dedicated under St. Michael the Archangel and dates from 1870. It is built in Lemko style with three chambers in line. Two ancient wooden crosses stand in front of this active Orthodox parish church.