One of the most beautiful monuments in Poland from this period of time. Built between 1567 and 1572. Located on the town's Market Square. If you are coming from the main Bus Station, follow the Dworcowa Street (going west), which will turn into Grudziadzka Street. An easy walk of less than 1 kilometer. Not sure if one can climb to the top of the...more
The Archpresbyterial Church of St. Mary’s Assumption (parish) Church was erected by the Teutonic Order in XIII century. It lies, along with a few other prime churches of Chelmno, on the European Route of Brick Gothic (http://www.eurob.org). The inside is nowadays a mishmash of different styles, baroque being the predominating one. What impressed me...more
(Post)Dominican church of St. Peter and Paul was built in 13 century by Dominican Order which came to Chelmno in 1233. In 17 century walls of main nave were underbuilt/done taller changing the church to basilica . Inside the wall paintigs from 14 century are located. St. Peter and Paul church had rich medieval interior, mainly in baroque and...more
On the side of old town medieval convent complex is situated. Erection of convent must be connected with entering of Cisterian sisters order to Chelmno in 1261, who created in 1280-1330 with convent buildings also St. Johns church. In XV (15) century monastery became a Benedictine own. On the territory of convent complex probably Chelmno's oldest...more
Convent church of St. Johns is situated on territory of Cystercian convent complex. The church is a hall building. Southern stone-built portal from year 1619 with Gdansk-Netherland origin attracts special attention. In interior gothic polychromies from XIV (14), the tombstone of Arnold Lishoren from 1275 made of black limestone, large crucifix,...more
The Post Franciscan church of Jacob the Elder and St. Nicolas was built in XIII (13) century for Franciscan order. The church was built all through century and finally it looked like pseudo basilica. The church of Jacob the Elder and St. Nicolas was in hands of Franciscans from 1258 until the dissolution of the order in 1806. In connection with...more
Church of Holy Spirit is situated on the side of old town close to city defence wall.The church was built in 1280. Originally it was a hospital church. In 1828 there was military shop in the church. Returned to sacral function in begining of XX century. It is a gothic brick built hall-type building with four-side tower in western part of the...more
Chelmno Town Hall is situated in the centre of old town (market) square. Town hall is an excellent example of renaissance, one of the nicest objects of renaissance art in Poland. It was major object on the market. In the walls of the building fragments of XIII (13) century walls were finded. Today look town hall got in 1567-1572. Tower with baroque...more
St. Mary church towering over the old town square belongs to the group of largest and oldest temples in Eastern Pomerania. The church is excellent example of gothic archtecture, which was in Middle Ages a model resolution for other churches, for example for cathedral in Krolewiec (today Kaliningrad). St. Mary church dates in documents from 1233. In...more
Excellent, affordable establishment offering Polish cuisine dishes. Splendid sauces with fresh wild mushrooms that go well with almost anything you order.
There also is a hotel (same name) at the spot, but I found it a little pricy.....
There is direct bus from Warsaw to Chelmno which goes via Torun and Wloclawek.
Chelmno situating not far from Torun, on the highway between it and Gdansk, it is very easy to get to Chelmno from this cities.
If you arrived to Chelmno when Tourist Information office is closed, it is possible to get useful information using electronic *it*device standing on old town square near Town hall.
It gives general information about city, tourist attractions, possible routes etc on different languages.
Chelmno has excellent example of medieval defence fortifications. There is well preserved defence wall which surrounds the old town. It is just one of the things what is Chelmno known of. There are also towers and gates as part of defence wall system