Did you mean?Try your search again
King Boleslaw the Pious founded this church in 1259 for the Franciscan friars he brought to Gniezno. The tower is what’s left of the Klaryski Konvent Oratory. Unfortunately, when we visited there was a mass going on, so we couldn’t see the high altar with the famous painting of the Holy Mother of Gnizeno which is famous for miracles. The church is considered one of “the” sanctuaries because of “Our Lady of Consolation the Queen of Gniezno”.
Written May 3, 2009
Address: Ul. Franciszkanska 12
The other is the early gothic-baroque Franciscan church and monastery (of the end of 13th century) which was created as the result of connecting two temples: of the Franciscan monks and the nuns of the order of St. Clare, with15th century tower. In the main altar there is a painting depicting Madonna with the baby, called "the Lady of Gniezno". Local people treat it with particular reverence. The Franciscan church also houses the relics of the blessed Jolenta who died in 1279.
Updated Oct 4, 2008
Holy Trinity church was founded in 12 century. It one-nave gothic church. After year 1613 underbuilt in baroque style. The church has a gothic tower with baroque helmet. There is a clock with a chime instalated on the tower.
In the church you can see renaissance baptismal font, late-baroque pulpit. The door of sacristy is from 15 century.
Updated Aug 10, 2008
One-nave St. John Church of 14th century also deserves particular attention. It has a gothic cross vault and after the cathedral it is most precious historic monument of Gniezno. Te greatest attraction of the church is the interior - historic wall painting of the second half of the 14th century.
Updated Aug 9, 2008
Tomb of St. Adalbertus (Wojciech) is situated in the cathedral.
Nice golden decorations tower over the relics.
Adalbertus was a Saint who brought christianity to Poland more then 1000 years ago.
Updated Aug 8, 2008
In Polish: Muzeum Poczatkow Panstwa Polskiego
Gniezno was the first capital city Poland. The Museum provides an excellent exhibition of Poland before it was formed and after. There are four exhibitions - The Culture of the Polish Piasts, The Medieval Gniezno, Gniezno in Modern Times and The Painted History of the Piast Dynasty.
The Culture of the Polish Piasts is explained through a multi-lingual audiovisual show leading the visitor through the exhibition. There are reconstructions of medieval fortified settlements,10th C defence ramparts, and military and daily use objects from the early centuries of the Polish state.
The Medieval Gniezno shows models of the town of the 11th and 15th C, and other exhibits relating to the city. The highlight is a collection of Gothic tiles sculpted with Old Testament scenes and Polish coats of arms. The Gniezno in Modern Times covers the 16th to19th C.
The Painted History of the Polish Piasts presents 19th C Polish paintingswith the theme of Poland at the time of the Piast dynasty rule (10th- 14th C)
Open daily except Mondays and days following public holidays, 10-17:30.
2007 tickets: regular 5.5 ZL, reduced 3.5 ZL. Sundays free.
Written Jun 14, 2007
Address: ul Kostrzewskiego 1
Phone: (061) 426 46 41
In the direct neighborhood of the Old Square there are two more sacred monuments. One is a gothic one-nave parish-church (1420-30) with a gothic tower crowned with baroque helmet. The church is surrounded with a wall that used to be a fragment of medieval fortifications.
Updated Feb 21, 2007
Cathedral has two massive 85 metres tall towers towering over the city and the main nave is 22 metres tall. The oldest part of cathedral is presbytery with tomb of St. Adalbertus.
Main nave is surrounded by 14 chapels with a tombs of archibishops.
Updated Feb 19, 2007
Gniezno Doors are one of the most value attractions of Cathedral and the city, being a very significant work of romanesque art. It is also mentioned as one of the most value attraction of romanesque plastic art in Europe!
The doors were created of bronze about in 1175.They are decorated with scenes from St. Adalbertus life.
Updated Feb 18, 2007
Cathedral is situated on Lech hill on the side of old town. Gniezno cathedral was an aula of coronation of Polish kings, it was a place of many great historical events, untill nowadays is a church of Gniezno archibishops and a place of tomb of patron of Poland St. Wojciech.
The first temple was built probably in second half of 10 century. After destroying of the churh by army of Brzetys³aw, in 1038 was built new in Roman style. Today gothic building comes from 14 century and is a third church built on the hill.
Updated Jan 22, 2007