Krolowej Jadwigi street is the main promenade in Inowroclaw. This is a street mainly reserved for pedestrians. It is located in a heart of the town and going from the main market square.
You may find some good examples of the nice architecture of Inowroclaw (tenements), as well as a wive variety of shops, bars, cafes etc.
Town Hall in Inowroclaw is one of the best examples of the neogothic atchitecture in the town. It was build in 1907 - 1908. The building is a headquarter of the Town and District Office.
You may observe near the main entrance on the wall the history of Inowroclaw since the beginning.
The main market square in Inowroclaw is quite nice place. Both, the size of the town and of the main square are siutable to each other. You may see some interesting buildings around the square or just have a seat in a nice pub Arenka.:o)
The other church in Inowroclaw that can take pride in its medieval origin is the late Gothic parish church of St Nicholas. It is a three-aisled church that had been reconstructed many times. After huge damages suffered during the Teutonic invasions in 1431, it was built virtually from scratch and today it is not certain what it had looked like before.
It is worth mentioning that its original foundation dates back to the mid-thirteenth century. In the years 1320-1321 the Polish and Teutonic trial over Gdansk Pomerania took place here. The sentence was delivered by archbishop of Gniezno Janislaw and the Teutonic Knights had to return the grounds captured and pay financial damages. The church interior is full of numerous historical items of church art, mainly baroque and rococo ones. Some of them come from the former Franciscan church. The seventeenth century altars such as the altar of the Holy Cross, in which one can see Gothic statues of the Crucified Christ and St Anthony as well as the eighteenth century epitaph of the Zboza Radojewski family - the only example of Sarmatian (i.e. traditional Old Polish) art in the town, attract the attention of visitors. In the main altar visitors can admire a painting depicting St Nicholas (from the turn of the seventeenth century). On December 13th 1860 Jan Kasprowicz was christened in the parish church in Inowroclaw.
Another valuable historical building is the garrison church of St Barbara and St Maurice, the work of Marian Andrzejewski and local builder Franciszek Dzwikowski, which refers to the Classicist style. Its rarity lies in the characteristic dome of the church that resembles a soldierís helmet. In the church interior one can see several plaques commemorating important events from the latest history of Kujawy.
In 2002 the citizens of Inowroc³aw celebrated the 100th anniversary of the consecration of the largest church in the town, namely, the church of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary, erected in the years 1898-1900 on the initiative of the Rev. Antoni Laubitz and designed by the Berlin - based architect August Rincklake.
The neo-Romanesque church is 72 m long and 25 m wide and has a capacity of 3,000 persons. The 77 m high church tower that can be seen in the whole neighbourhood, is a perfect reference point and, in a way, it is a symbol of Inowroc³aw. The lavish sculpture interior dEcor of the church, executed by W³adys³aw Marcinkowski, refers to Polish national traditions. This is particularly reflected in the western tympanum with the image of Our Lady wearing a crown as well as the already non-existent northern portal that used to depict an engraved scene of Piast and Rzepicha admitting angels. This relief was destroyed during the catastrophe of April 9th 1909, when a part of the northern wall of the church collapsed. When the church was opened again (exactly on December 18th 1929), the present Primate of Poland Józef Glemp was baptised here.
This is the oldest and most valuable historic building of Inowroc³aw is the Romanesque church of the Virgin Mary, erected in the late twelfth century and founded by Duke Leszek, grandson of Boles³aw the Wrymouthed. This aisleless oriented church with a chancel closed by the apse and a two-tower western edifice, was the largest reduced basilica (without transept) in Central and Eastern Europe.
In 1834 it burnt down and for many years it did not perform any religious functions, for that reason the citizens called it the "Ruina". It was rebuilt due to the efforts of Rev. Rector Antoni Laubitz in the years 1900-1901. Fortunately, the Gothic statue of the "Smiling Madonna" from the fourteenth century has been preserved. While visiting the church interiors, one should pay attention to engravings and reliefs on outer walls n their existence gave rise to numerous mysteries and legends. They symbolise the essential truths of the Christian faith.
In the “Wprost” weekly Polish spa rating, made in 2005 by the independent expert Professor Zdzis³aw Krasiñski, Inowroc³aw was 8 out of the overall number of 75 spas. It achieved better results than such famous spas as Rabka, Konstancin and Wieliczka. The assessment criteria included such factors as: the quality of therapeutic materials (water, therapeutic mud), natural and treatment facilities of the local hospital and water drinking room, the number of indoor and outdoor swimming pools, parks, gardens, fountains, pedestrian zones as well as the separation of the resort estate from municipal infrastructure, the number and quality of entertainment facilities, and finally, cultural offer.
Apart from typical sanatorium treatment the spa of Inowroclaw also offers preventive, rehabilitation, diet, leisure and weekend stays.
The low-stimulus lowland climate of Inowroclaw neighbourhoods is not a burden for patients with circulatory insufficiency and exerts a positive effect on the rehabilitation process of heart diseases and cardiac infarct. The climate is also conducive to the treatment of rheumatic diseases and supports the locomotor system rehabilitation. At present, the main therapeutic profiles of Inowroc³aw resort are the following: circulatory system diseases, rheumatology and locomotor system diseases, including degeneration states, traumatic states and inflammatory states, spondylopathy, respiratory and digestive system diseases (including upper respiratory tract infections, sinusitis, pulmonary emphysema, diabetes, obesity, chronicgastritis with hyperacidity, states after bladder and bile ducts operations).
Resort institutions offer dozens of therapeutic procedures such as brine baths, therapeutic mud wrappings, whirl, acid-carbon and pearl baths, Scottish showers, aroma and English water massages, kinesitherapeutic individual and group exercises, classical therapeutic and pneumatic massages, water vibrations as well as procedures in physiotherapy such as light therapy, ultrasonotherapy, electric stimulation therapy, paraffin therapy, inhalations, laser treatment and cryotherapy (i.e. low temperature treatment).
Inowroclaw in the inter-war period became one of the most popular Polish spas, frequently visited by foreigners coming here for treatment. It also became fashionable among Polish intellectual elites; famous politicians, actors or sportsmen used to come to Inowroclaw, to mention only Prime Minister Wladys³aw Grabski, general Wladys³aw Sikorski and general Jozef Haller, rear admiral Jozef Unrug, Pomerania voivode and later President of the Republic of Poland in exile Wladys³aw Raczkiewicz, President of Warsaw Stefan Starzynski, President of Poznan and later delegate of the Polish government Cyryl Ratajski, Maria Konopnicka and Ludwik Sempolinski and Olympian Janusz Kusocinski.
Since 1915 in the newly opened mineral water pump room the “Kujawianka” mineral water appeared that was taken from a local mining spring. The importance of the spa of Inowroc³aw was further increased due to the patronage of the German Emperor and Empress.
Prosperity period occurred during the times of the Second Republic of Poland. The spa, honoured through having been granted the official name of “Inowroclaw-Zdroj”, as early as in 1920 had a concert bowl built as well as other therapeutic departments of brine baths and acid-carbonaceous baths (built between 1922 to 1924) and the nature-therapeutical department, the so-called inhalation department (1928-1929).
The first sanatorium was the building of the Social Insurance Institution, erected in the years 1928-1930. In the neighbourhood, in the western part of the town, a resort estate with lavish houses and guest houses quickly emerged. The Brine Park was carefully maintained: new pedestrian zones and lawns were created, new tennis courts were built; a bridge, a pier and a stylised lighthouse were built on one of the park ponds.
Inowroclaw is known as a popular resort spa in Poland.
Doctor of Law Zygmunt Wilkonski and barristers – Samuel Hoeniger and Oskar Triepcke were the founders and main shareholders of the “Solanki Inowroclawskie” joint stock company which was registered in the Royal County Court in Inowroclaw on May 4th 1875. The company purchased areas from the town for the construction of bathing premises as well as the resort park and as early as in 1876 the first therapeutic department was put into operation, with 14 bathtubs for brine baths. One year later other brine bathrooms with 15 bathtubs, and in 1880 the third department called “Nowy Swiat” (the New World) were opened.
Mostly the subject of treatment were to be rheumatic, gynaecological and skin diseases as well as lymphonodular tuberculosis; moreover, in 1886 bathrooms for rheumatism-suffering children were built. Later on, the existing buildings were modernised and new ones were built (for instance, a greenhouse was designed).