Kazimierz Dolny Favorites

• gale.blog.pl's Profile Photo

Trips around Kazimierz

by gale.blog.pl Written Apr 18, 2006
    Traditional rural architecture

Favorite thing: Kazimierz itself is a nice place but it tends to be busy especially in tourist season.

Should you feel tired of the visiting crowds please consider taking a walk through rural areas surrounding Kazimierz. Admire the typically Polish countryside and the quiet atmosphere.

• aysun's Profile Photo

Weather

by aysun Written Aug 25, 2005
    Umbrella

Fondest memory: If you live in a country which has not and sunny summers, you can not be accustomed the idea of rainy and cold summer.
    The weather becomes you like spring.But ýf you feel suffocated because of the hot, you feel good!
    It's like a clima...

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

More interesting streets and buildings

by Pawtuxet Updated Nov 18, 2004

Favorite thing: Here is the "main street" coming into town. Not what you could call a major highway. Preferable to the streets lined with chain stores and MacDonald's....you are transported backwards in time. It's not a bad thing. Life moves more slowly...one relaxes over their cup of tea.

Lots of stone work...

by Pawtuxet Updated Nov 18, 2004

Favorite thing: Nearly every building is a type of stucco or stone...oweing to its longevity. I particularly liked the type of cobblestones in the streets. It made a muffled sound when the cars drove over it. The stones were rounded and smoother than the commonly found granite cobbles, which we have in New England or what you might see in Italy or England, for instance.

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo

Knights in the market square

by gosiaPL Updated Jun 22, 2004

Street knights entertaining tourists

Favorite thing: This is a common scene in the heart of Kazimierz Dolny on weekends when there are crowds of tourists. Sooner or later two guys would appear in knight's costumes and they would improvise a sword fight.

Sure they expect you to spare them some change for this little entertainment :-)

Local artist's work ~2003

by Pawtuxet Updated Jan 3, 2004

Favorite thing: I wish I could have gotten there when the artists were around. Thought I would see their work in some of the stores, but mostly soulvenirs and of course, some of the nice pottery. So....I bought artist post cards to get a little sampling. This one is by Stefan Giemza. His colors are wonderful. Think this is the street where we stayed ...
    PLEASE check my travelogue for more artist's views............

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo

Relaxing at 3 Krakowska St.

by gosiaPL Written Dec 8, 2003

The porch at 3 Krakowska St.

Favorite thing: I loved sitting in this porch!
    Because I spent 4 days in the town, I could be pretty relaxed about how I use my time there, having seen all the landmarks and a few galleries... The porch is a great place to have your morning coffee or breakfast, or sip a drink in the evening.

If the owner is around, he'll join you to tell you a few funny stories :-) I got a kick out of his story about the old table in the picture - me and my friend were sipping brandy there when he told us that partisans in WW2 distilled moonshine on this very same table! :-D

Picturesque panorama view

by gosiaPL Updated Dec 8, 2003

Panorama of Kazimierz Dolny

Favorite thing: The view of the town and the Vistula river valley is quite amazing, isn't it?
    You can see how tiny the town is with the market square in the centre, and I hope you can see the promenada walkway along the river valley.

This picture was taken from the three Three Crosses mountain... I skipped that one and checked the view from the castle and the tower hill instead, those are stunning too!
    The photo is credited to my friend Adam who visited Kazimierz Dolny in November and took this photo at my request :-)

• Hiking and Walking

Religious reminder ~2003

The local priest

Favorite thing: There are constant reminders of Catholicism throughout Poland. In this little village one can often see a priest rushing off to one of his duties...or a few nuns on their way to decorate a grave at the cemetary. Churches, shrines, holy days. All far more prevelant than what I am accustomed to. This is not a criticism...only an observation which I find fascinating.

Garlic ~ 2003

The Garlic Man

Favorite thing: Some of the silliest things fascinate me when I travel. I came upon this man selling strings of garlic, onions, and rose hips with evergreen sprigs twisted through the string. It was such a colorful way to hang garlic in your kitchen that I couldn't resist tucking one in my suitcase. Our garlic is usually twisted into a rope consisting of just plain garlic and not nearly as pretty as these. OK...so I'm a little strange.

The art & design of heaters ~ 2003

The Cat Mascot

Favorite thing: Here the cat finds a wonderful warm spot to cuddle by the stove....used to heat the tea room. Guess the cat is the resident mascot. The young woman who worked at the counter would occasionally feed wood into the stove to keep the building cozy.
    I was taken with these stoves and other heaters which I observed in a number of stops we made. I will accumulate all my photos of them in a travelogue, because I think they are so interesting. The US didn't have such attractive wood stoves. Some of these are enamelled and some are a very durable type of tile.

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo

Internet cafe amongst old houses

by gosiaPL Updated Nov 7, 2003

Old house and internet cafe

Favorite thing: Surrounded by old houses in this neat little town, you're not cut off from the world :-)
    I took the picture of this lovely house just a few minutes after I left the internet cafe. I was staring at the houses around me and I did not even think of taking a photo of the cafe's sign... Well, it is in the white house to the right, and I hope you can see the wooden sign hanging beneath the roof..?
    I hate the road sign in the picture, but really, I could not dig the damn thing out no matter how hard I tried! ;-)

Internet access fee is peanuts: 2 zl ($0.50) for half an hour and there's no limit on time.
    Direction: it is in Lubelska St. - turn into the eastern corner of the square and within 1 minute you'll see it on your right, next to the other lovely old house that I mentioned in my 'General' tips.

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo

A gallery when you least expect it...

by gosiaPL Written Nov 7, 2003

Art gallery in an old house

Favorite thing: Always surprising about its art galleries... You may be passing by a gallery without even knowing it...!
    Don't assume that galleries will be located only in outstanding buildings with huge signs to attract customers. Many galleries are... I'd say... proportionate to the size of the town [;-)] but don't ignore or downgrade them for this. Just go inside and check them out if you're looking for something unique and authentic.
    Be warned that some of the galleries open only for weekends...

By the way, here's another example of old houses :-)

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo

I just love these old houses!

An old house in Kazimierz Dolny

Favorite thing: Keep your eyes open for the simple beauty in Kazimierz Dolny. You'll miss out a lot if you limit your tour to just the square, the castle and the grand architecture! ( check the Twin-Houses and the Celej House in my 'Must Sees')

I've learnt my lesson... Having covered the best known sites during my first visit, I was able to discover a lot more when I returned two months later. I recommend you do both at one visit :-) The good thing is that these houses are rather small so you don't have to walk & stare upward like you do in Cracow!

This house is in Lubelska St. - turn into the eastern corner of the square and within 1 minute you'll see it on your right.

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo

Lovely streets, amazing galleries...

by gosiaPL Updated Nov 7, 2003

Klasztorna, my favourite little street

Favorite thing: I love this little cobbled street (Klasztorna St.) that took me from my guest house straight to the market, ain't it cute?
    There are more like this one, real treasures, and make sure you peep into all of them - you never know what you'll find round the corner...

Well, on the second thought, correction: you can be sure you'll find one of the many art galleries that Kazimierz Dolny is known for. I really enjoyed poking around among paintings, sculptures, ornamented lamps, hand-painted cups or the piles of charmingly useless objects! ;-)

Instant Answers: Kazimierz Dolny

Comments

Kazimierz Dolny Favorites

Reviews and photos of Kazimierz Dolny favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kazimierz Dolny sightseeing.

View all Kazimierz Dolny hotels