There are some interesing buildings, monuments and crosses arounf the church in Makow Podhalanski. The most inportant and attractive seems to be a crossway. There are fourteen chapels around the church and each shows one of the pictuers of Jusus way to the death. It is not frequent to have the crossway outside the church. Usually churches hahe it...more
The church is not only interesting inside and architectually but also its walls may be attractive. You can find some really nice things on church's walls, all of them are pretty old. There are crosses and sculptures. Each side of the church has something on its wall. This is qutie nice ornament and, in my opinion, adds beaty to the building.more
It is quite easy to get to Makow Podhalanski by train. Makow is situated, more or less in the middle of the way from Krakow to Zakopane. You may take a train from Krakow going to Zakopane. Only Intercity and Express trains do not stop in Makow. All other trains stop in Makow. The trip from Krakow to Makow takes about 1,5 - 2 hours. There are also trains going from other bigger cities of Poland (Katowice, Bielsko - Biala, Warszawa etc.).
The main idea of TKB is to make it a big, Beskidy holiday, both of folklore and the Beskidy highlanders. They feel it this way. That is why all folk groups from the Beskidy region perform during TKB. The highlanders' groups come to TKB not only to compete. They also come as guests invited by the hosts to celebrate and have fun together. Every year groups from other regions of Poland come as well. They add up to the charm of the festival. Polish groups from Zaolzie in Czech Republic are special guests too as they cultivate customs of the Polish minority there. Very often foreign groups are invited by the Beskidy groups with whom they keep in touch.
Makow is one of five towns where TKB takes place. These are except Makow: Wisla, Szczyrk, Oswiecim and Zywiec. TKB is the biggest cultural fest in Makow during the year and it is organised usually in July - August.
On the main market square there is also one of the oldest building in the town. It comes from 1896. It used to be a buliding of the State School of Embroidery. Now there is the St. Jan Kanty Vocational, Technical and Academic Secondary Schools in the buliding. History of the School in English on the wesite.more
Filasowa chapel was built in 1845. It was founded by a marriage couple of Jan Kanty and Regine Filasow. Its shape recalls a presibitery of the local church. There are two interesing paintings inside the chapel: Saint Jan Kanty and Madonna with Jesus. There are still held masses in the chapel: on the day of St. Jan Kanty, St. Marek (Mark) and during...more