The painting of Piotrkowska Virgin Mary was made by an unknown Italian artist in XVI century. The sanctuary is said to be the centre of prays for people who rule in countries. This paiting was really famous. Since around XVI century Polish rulers and members of parliament used to pray in Piotrkow, including Stefan Batory - king of Poland.
The paiting was sacryficed on May 26, 2006 by the Pope Benedict XVI in Warsaw.
There are some parts of defence walls in Piotrkow Trybunalski safed. The walls was built in XIV and XV century, during the rule of Kazimierz Wielki (the Great) - king of Poland. The walls are 4 and half metres high and 2 metres width.
Some more information about the walls on the website (only Polish langiage).
The tower was built in 1927 according to the project of Wladyslaw Leszek Horodecki. The round shape of the tower has its connections in Renassaince style. The tower was to supply habitants of Piotrkow Trybunalski with water.
The Blessed Virgin's painting in Piotrkow is known as far as the wooden church existed in 1647. It was important not only for local people but also for nobility during tribunal times.
Have a look at pictures showing some interesing things around the church.
This is a complex of a monastery of the Bernardine monks in Piotrkow Trybunalski. The greater fundator of the monastery was Starczewscy family. In 1625 an archbishop agreed on location of Bernardine monks in Piotrkow. The church (orginally wooden) was sacryficed in 1626.
The church is really nice looking and interesing, both architectionally, interior and around the church.*
This is an Orthodox church of All Saints in neoclasical style. It was built 1844 - 1847. An Orthodox parish exists in Piotrkow since 1788. Orginally an Orthodox church was located in the attic of a Greek merchant in Krotka street (10 Czarniecki Plac nowdays).
There is a replica of a pillory on the main market square. It was orginally founded in 1578. It was a place were people were locked into in the past as a punishment and publiclly flogged. There used to be some kind of stocks for hands near the pillory.
Piotrkow's castle does not remind a castle but in fact it is call like that. It was built in 1512 - 1519 by the master Bededykt from sandomierz for Zygmunt I the Old - King of Poland. The roof comes from 1670. Nowadays there is a museum inside the building.
Little Synagogue was built in Piotrkow in 1775, founded by Hern Piotrkower. It was destroyed by Nazi during World War II. It was empty until 1966. Since than there is a library for children.
Great Synagogue was a synagogue in Piotrków Trybunalski, Poland. It was built in 1791-1793, designed by Dawid Friedlander. The synagogue was devastated by Nazis during the World War II.
It was one of the most beautiful synagogues in Poland. Next to it was the Beit Midrash (religious study hall). In the 1960s, the buildings were reconstructed and are now used as public libraries.
The monument was founded in June 1997. The monument was deisgned by Krystyna and Boguslaw Solscy from Lodz. The cost of building the monument was 100 thousand PLN - all from private donations of citizens of Piotrkow region.
The monument was built in October 16 1997 and sacryficed by a bishop in 21. anniversary of choosing John Paul II as a Pope.
The monument is two metres high and shows the Pope crossing to III millenium.
The main market square in Piotrkow Trybunalski is rather small and seems not to be a gathering place for locals. However, it is worth to see as there are great tenement houses around the square. The houses were built in XVII - XIX century, mostly renovated.
The old town square in Piotrków Trybunalski is surrounded by a rather small area of old buildings that make out the old town (Stare Miasto). These narrow streets with old town houses, several churches and other historical buildings create a nice athmosphere in the old town. Also located in the the extended quadrant of the town square is the oldest high school in town (Hrobry).
The old town square in Piotrków has a historical atmosphere about it. This atmosphere made it the perfect setting for the Holocaust theme film "Jacob the Liar" starring Robin Willams.