Favorite thing: The New Town Hall - old facade was built in neo-classical style in 1928 (mayor Wladyslaw Weber). As for me it doesn't look pretty although (in contrast to many old buildings around) is renovated recently.
The Old City Hall is located in Rynek (the Market Square). The building was built by city mayor Antoni Zelazko in neo-classic style with 5-storey clock tower in 1822.
It houses the Museum and the registry office with the wedding hall.
The Museum contains old local handicraft and historical remainings (letters, stamps, photographs) including drawing of Rybnik from 18th century.
10am-2pm except Wednesdays 10am-6pm;
Mon and days after a holiday - closed.
Saturday - free admitance.
There is a statue of St. John Nepomucen from 1728 in front of the Church of Painful Mother of God (old church). It was created by sculpturer Jan Melchior Oesterreicha from nearby Raciborz.
The statue was located in front of the old castle and was transferred in the new place in 1806 - just after building the church.
Church of Painful Mother of God (hmm... is it correct in English?; in Polish it's Kosciol Matki Boskiej Bolesnej) was designed by Franciszek Ilgner and built in baroque-classicistic style in 1801.
It's called by locals "Stary kosciol" (the old church).
The historic Basilica of St. Anthony is one of the largest Neo-Gothic churches in Poland and is a dominant building of Rybnik Town. Its two ninety - six - metre (315 ft) steeples are the tallest in the Silesian province. In 1994 the church was given a status of a minor basilica.
The St. Anthony Basilica (Bazylika sw. Antoniego) was deseigned by Ludwik Schneider and built in 1907.
The church was a few times destroyed: in 1921 (explosion of dynamite), during WWII and in 1959 (destroyed by fire northern tower and organs).
Saint Anthon from Padova (Italy) is a pathron of Rybnik. In the main altar of the church you can see the wooden figure of St. Anthon from 12th century.
The Old Castle is located in Plac Kopernika (Copernicus Square). It originates from 13th century and housed convent of Norbert sisters in 1223-1228. Then it was a castle of Piast dynasty princes.
The castle was rebuild in Baroque style in 18th century. It houses the Districtional Court nowadays.
Rynek means Market Square in Polish language.
Rynek is the center of the Old Town, it's a nice, picturesque square closed to traffic.
You can admire architecture of the old houses, do shopping in stores around the square or just seat down in one of cafes, get a drink, eat sth and look at probably the busiest place in Rybnik.
Favorite thing: The Post Office Building is great example of the old german-style architecture. Pay attention to typical, smaller in size bricks. They are characteristic for German style.
Favorite thing: Look at the fountain located in Rynek (the Main Market). You can see the figure of St. John Nepomucen from 1736.
The New Town Hall (Nowy Ratusz Miejski) houses the city government.
It is a little strange building because it has two facades: the new one (on the picture) was built a few years ago.