You can get to Rybnik by train.
Train timetables are available:
- in all railway stations,
- in some accommodations (hotels, campings, etc.),
- in tourist offices, tourist information points etc.
- by local phone, usually railway (=PKP) information phone about domestic trains is 94-36,
- in your cell phone: if you have not very old phone it's surely can use WAP, so you can see PKP timetable on the page: wap.pkp.pl
- on the internet:
1. www.rozklad.pkp.pl and click on "W jezyku polskim"
2. On the bottom of new page choose your language:
Other pages with european timetables:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en - page of German Railways (Deutche Bundesbahn) in English,
www.rail.ch/index_e.htm - page of Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) in English
www.cvut.cz/home/railway.htm - index of European railway resources (hundreds georgeus links although some of them are not updated).
Approx. time of train journey to Rybnik from (in hours:min.):
- Krakow 2:50 - 3:20 (via Katowice)
- Tychy 1:20 - 1:50 (via Pszczyna)
- Katowice 1:10 - 1:20
- Oswiecim 1:40 - 2:28
- Warsaw 3:37 (Express train)
- Ostrava (Czech) 1:31
HAVE GREAT TRAIN TRIPS :-))))
Where is Rybnik?
Rybnik is situated in the Upper Silesia region in southern Poland, 31 km (19 mi) from the Czech border - road border crossing point Chalupki - Str. Bohumin.
Rybnik is 45 km (28 mi) south-west of my hometown Tychy - look at the map.
Some road distances from Rybnik:
1. the nearest international airports:
A. Ostrava in Czech Republik (OSR) - 50 km (31 mi) southwest of Rybnik,
B. Katowice-Pyrzowice Airport (KTW) - 85 km (53 mi) northeast of Rybnik
C. Krakow (Cracow) - Balice airport (KRK) - 110 km (68 mi) northeast of Rybnik.
2. Cities in Poland:
A. Krakow (Cracow) - 120 km (75 mi)
B. Gliwice - 25 km (16 mi)
B. Katowice - 54 km (34 mi)
C. Warsaw - 376 km (234 mi).
3. Cities outside Poland:
A. In Czech Republic:
- Ostrava 50 km (31mi)
- Olomouc 145 km (90 mi).
The Old Town in Rybnik is small and compact (smaller then in Krakow) so it's easy to get around on foot.
My suggestion is to walk and visit the following points of interest (look at the map on the picture - map from www.rybnik.com.pl ):
1. Hospital of St. Julius (Szpital sw. Juliusza);
2. Evangelic church (Kosciol Ewangelicki);
3. The Old Castle (Dawny Zamek), the Districtional Court (Sad Rejonwowy) now;
4. The New Town Hall (Nowy ratusz miejski);
5. The Market Square (Rynek);
6. The Old City Hall (Dawny ratusz miejski);
7. Church of Painful Mother of God (Kosciol Matki Boskiej Bolesnej) - called by locals "stary kosciol" (the Old Church);
8. Academical Church (Kosciol Akademicki);
9. The St. Anthony Basilica (Bazylika sw. Antoniego);
10. The Water-tower (wieza cisnien).
It can take you a few (maybe 3-4) hours to visit all the above points + some eating/shopping, so I think about half a day tour to visit Rybnik.
You can start the above tour on the railway station (look at the map).
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates