Sandomierz Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Sandomierz

Windows to the world

by Pawtuxet Written Sep 18, 2006

There is something special about lace curtains moving in the breeze by an open window. Especially if the window itself is architecturally interesting. Such is the case all around the main square in Sandomierz. I find this one of the very charming things about European apartments...seeing it often throughout a number of countries. I particularly like casement windows with stone frames.

costumed for the day

by Pawtuxet Updated Sep 16, 2006

This guy didn't seem to have any particular purpose..but to simply walk thru the square in his long skirt and strange hat. Several other costumed young people would appear from time to time as well. Gosia was intrigued with the bagpipers who appeared in their kilts to do a bit of marching and piping. Must have been connected to the students from the university.

• Festivals

Apteka

Apteka...the local drug store

Everytime I see a drug store in Poland... it fascinates me. Their architecture, signage and pharmacy symbol are so much more interesting than looking at our American drug stores...CVS, Walgreen's, and the like. which would you prefer?

Beautify the square

by Pawtuxet Updated Sep 16, 2006

I hope you can enjoy all of the pics I offer here as much as I have. The architecture is quite lovely, and I found the balconies draped with blossoms to be quite charming. There are colorfully decorated little scenes like these all around this tiny village. I love the wrought iron railings and the decorative discs and paintings on the facades of the buildings.

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo

Buy a pet in the Market Sq.?

by gosiaPL Written Aug 23, 2006

Collecting money for animal shelter

The Market Sq. is traditionally the venue for big and small events, always good for collecting money for a good cause. On the Sunday when we were there, the local Society of Animals' Friends raised funds to support the animal rescue centre and you could buy a rescued pet! What a grat idea. Janet was offered a little kitten but she kindly turned the offer down on account of the trans-Atlantic flight being too stressful on the kitten :-)

"Scottish" guards at the statue of Our Lady

Costumed

This was funny, we saw a change of guards by the Baroque statue of Our Lady at the back of the Town Hall. This is meant as a tourist attraction, and I am told there are various costumed regiments doing this. When we were there, the guards wore Scottish-like costumes to commemorate Scottish soldiers of fortune in the old Sandomierz army. The whole thing is far from formal, it seems pretty laid-back as the guards chatt with tourists. Of course, many people have photos taken with them but you're kindly expected to drop a penny into their earthenware jar :-)

Costumed performance?

by gosiaPL Written Aug 23, 2006

We only saw their backs!

We were obviously late to see what was going on in the Market Sq. on a Sunday afternoon, we only saw the costumed people walking around. I don't know whether there was some kind of performance or whether these folks simply entertained tourist. But it was a pleasant feeling to see the old attire in the old Sandomierz.

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo

A stroll with an ice-cream cone

Ice-cream stand at the Pod Cizemka restaurant

On a hot Sunday afternoon a stroll with some ice-cream seems to be the local custom. Janet (Pawtuxet) and I also joined in! They offer so many flavours it was hard to make up our minds. But it was a perfect dessert after lunch, and it tasted delicious as we walked towards the Cathedral.

Instant Answers: Sandomierz

Comments

Sandomierz Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Sandomierz local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sandomierz sightseeing.