Sejny Restaurants

• evaanna's Profile Photo

Lietuviska Karcama: Lithuanian cuisine in the border town of Sejny

by evaanna Updated Sep 30, 2012

Lithuanian House at Sejny

The Lithuanian House at Sejny houses not only the Lithuanian Consulate and a library but also a restaurant where I decided to celebrate my birthday this year. There were just the two of us - Chris and me and we wanted to have the Lithuanian dishes which we had tasted before in Vilnius and Punsk. So we ordered kibinai - meat-filled pasties, which were not bad but tiny and not as delicious as those we had had in Vilnius. Then we had czenak each, which we remembered from our visits to Punsk. To our surprise, it lacked sour and fresh cucumbers which we thought were the most important ingredients in this baked meat and vegetable dish and gave it all its flavour. Instead, the czenak contained a lot of carrot, which made it too sweet so I didn't like it much, even though Chris did. Not to be disappointed again, we decided not to have any pudding but only a glass of bread kvas each. The service was good and prompt but the czebureks we had heard so much about and hoped to taste as well were not available. The menu said you could get them on Tuesdays and it was a Tuesday but the nice waitress explained to us they were not made off season. Altogether, a rather disappointing birthday party for me.

Favorite Dish: Kibinai I suppose or something I haven't tasted yet. The restaurant is said to be quite good.

• evaanna's Profile Photo

Skarpa: Local food and not only

by evaanna Updated Nov 7, 2008

Blueberry dumplings

This is a hotel restaurant offering Polish and Lithuanian cuisine. All the dishes are home- cooked and the ones we tried were quite tasty, although the helpings were on the small side.
    The service is prompt and efficient. You can sit inside or on the terrace, but don't expect great views - it simply faces a side street. When we were there in September the place looked quite empty but the high season was over by then.

Favorite Dish: I had blueberry dumplings served with cream, sugar, half a plum and two grape halves. It was very yummy and I wouldn't have minded a larger portion. Chris had soup and kolduny - meat dumplings supposed to be Lithuanian but more like ordinary Polish dumplings and not at all like the ones my grandmother had learnt to cook in Vilnius and used to make for us at home .

Instant Answers: Sejny

Comments

Sejny Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sejny restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sejny sightseeing.