Tychy Local Customs

IN MEMORY OF JAN KAPICA
    ST. MARIA MAGDALENA CHURCH

Most Recent Local Customs in Tychy

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Home-made non-diet breakfast :-)

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 24, 2010

NON-DIET  BREAKFAST :-)

Enlarge my picture to see breakfast by Urszula (matcrazy0).

What's there?
    - morning coffee (with a lot of 0.5% fat milk = almost water :-),
    - orange juice,
    - hot toasts (made of Polish wheat toast bread),
    - butter (Polish Delma),
    - Swiss or Polish cheese (yellow with big holes is the best),
    - fermented cheese (Bree for example - what an aroma, he? :-),
    - pork or beef meat: Polish delicious ham, Polish dry (smoked) sausages or others,
    - salad made of fresh vegetables: tomatoes and cucumbers (cheaper version) or red paprika (expensive in Poland),
    - Polish yoghurts preferrably with forest fruits or pears,
    - mayonnaise, ketchup, salt, pepper for your taste.

Welcome, if you want change M size T-shirts to XL, especially. Top secret: we don't eat such breakfasts each day :-(.

Religion

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 9, 2005

TRIBUTE TO JOHN PAUL II

In Poland 95% of population declares to be Roman Catholic and approx. 60% - 70% declare to practice. I don't know official dates for Tychy but I think they are similar, maybe a little bit fewer people are religious like in almost every city. There are 16 Roman catholic parishes and there is evangelist parish in Tychy as well.

For a visitor it may be interesting to see churches both old and new, praying locals and especially holy mass on Sunday.

For me the most fascinating religion-related event was death of pope John Paul II on 2 April 2005, when locals spontaneosly brought thousands of candles and lighted them along whole, over 1.6 km/1 mile, long John Paul II Avenue. I received a few SMSs with info: let's meet, bring and light candles for John Paul II at 9.37 p.m. (hour of his death) along John Paul II Avenue. I was at work that time but I was told that probably half of Tychy met to pray and give tribute to John Paul II on closed by police avenue that time. Next evening/night coming back from Krakow I took a few pictures.

More in my travelogue: "Tychy says goodbye to John Paul II".

• Leipzig's Profile Photo

Meeting the locals

by Leipzig Written Oct 5, 2004

Matt at his VT working station

My intention for the visit was a meeting with Maciek aka Matt, or even better known as matcrazy1, and his wife Urszula.
    We met at the hotel Tychy for a beer and went to a nice restaurant. After an excellent dish we went to their flat where Matt showed me his little amount of photos. I can't believe someone can take so many pictures. On his trip to the US he took four times more photos then me in my whole life. Now you know why he calls himself "matcrazy" :-D
    It was a fantastic evening and I hope to return in the very near future for a longer time to get to know both better.

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

Kegs of beer.

by Kodi01 Updated Nov 8, 2003

Tyskie beer keg

Ok, It may look like we drank alot, but we did not purchase this keg of Tyksie..

Back to my college days, this would not be considered a keg of beer, but I have never seen this size of beer anywhere?

Dogs are welcome :-)

DOGS  ARE  WELCOME :-)

Yes, dogs are welcome in Tychy especially at homes of some locals (look at my picture with my friend's dog posing :-).

There are a lot of green areas (smaller and larger parks) for your dog, a lot of doggy food in stores. But no doggy restrooms, no doggy hairdressers even not... doggy bags in local restaurants hehe.

• Travel with Pets

Fireworks for New Year

by matcrazy1 Updated Nov 7, 2003

HAPPY  NEW  YEAR

We have great, amazing and impressive firewoks around Tychy at New Years Eve - exactly at midnight.

Everyone over 18 yo can buy and use fireworks in Tychy = it's allowed by law. Hmm... it looks great but a lot of noise (poor dogs) and always at least a few people get injured.

Sorry, I can't take a good picture of fireworks. E-mail me if you know how to do it, do I need a tripod to do it?

OPLATEK for Christmas

OPLATEK  WAFERS  ON  OUR  CHRISTMAS  TABLE

"OPLATEK" wafers are wallet-size, paper-thin and crisp leafs of bread, white or colored, with an impression of the Nativity scene.

In Poland before the Christmas Eve dinner those present approach one another with an "oplatek" wafer in hand and offer wishes. When approached everybody listens to wishes, says wishes in return, breaks off a bit from the other guy’s wafer, eats it, and kisses him or her on both cheeks.

"Oplatek" also means popular December and January social gatherings in Poland where invited guests, even perfect strangers, practice the ritual among themselves in addition to regular cocktail-party socializing. And it is usual to visit friends and family before or over the Christmastide to share the "oplatek" wafer with them and exchange wishes.

Are there such customs in your country/community? E-mail me, please.

Our Christmas

CHRISTMAS  BREAKFAST  BY  URSZULA

We usually spend our Christmas at least partly together with our families here or there. So, we usually travel at Christmas.

Notice that we do work at Christmas Eve = 24 Dec. But people don't work on 25 and 26 Dexember in Poland. So, we can visit our families. Most people go to church for special holy mass on 24 Dec at midnight. And eat special, solemn breakfast on 25 Dec.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

I receive one gift less :-(((

by matcrazy1 Written Nov 7, 2003

TO  URSZULA  FOR  CHRISTMAS :-)))

People used to give their friends and relatives gifts at least three times a year:
    1. at birthday;
    2. on 24th Dec. (= at Christmas Eve) in the evening putting them under the Christmas tree with a card on which they write for whom the gift is designated;
    3. at name day - what's that? Look, my name is Maciej (Matt) and my day (of saint Maciej) is on 24 February, Urszula's is on 21 October. Usually all printed calendars in Poland show the names for each day of the year.

Hmm... I receive the same one gift for 1 and 2 :-((( on 24th Dec. It's real catastrophy, I love gifts :-))). Ok, luckily I am not Adam - Adam celebrates his day on 24th December.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Different food than in the USA

POLISH  COCA-COLA  LIGHT  BOTTLE

There are different food companies in Europe, Poland and Tychy than in the USA. So, don't look for your favourite food in supermarkets if you are from the USA. Hmm... at least we have Coca-Cola = Coke, Fanta, Sprite, 7up etc.

Look at Coca-Cola light bottle on my picture. I have never seen such bottles in the USA. Have you?

What is that?

by matcrazy1 Updated Nov 6, 2003

INSIDE  ST.  MARIA  MAGDALENA  CHURCH

Look at my picture taken inside St. Maria Magdalena Roman catholic parish church, please. What's there?
    There are such flags with various religious, catholic symbols inside many churches in Tychy. They are used in the procession on Corpus-Christi Day.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

They bring flowers to a church

IN  ST.  MARIA  MAGDALENA  CHURCH

There are a lot of flowers, fresh, alive flowers inside numerous churches of Tychy. People (Roman catholics) bring them and put them around holy statues on altars and chapels. Hmm... I was always surprised to see so many fresh flowers inside each Tychy church.

Churches full of flowers

INSIDE  ST.  MARIA  MAGDALENA  CHURCH

Roman catholic churches are full of flowers in Tychy. Many local people used to give their flowers to their parish churches, when they grow too large especially.
    No wonder you can find many flowers inside churches, small and big ones.

• Hiking and Walking

Polish pope John Paul II

by matcrazy1 Updated Nov 6, 2003

POPE  JOHN  PAUL  II  AND  KATHY

They do respect Pope John Paul II a lot in Tychy. There is his picture not only in each church including St. Maria Magdalena church as on my picture (with Kathy, Kodi01 on the bottom) but in private homes as well. Even non-catholic minority of Tychy respect the pope as a human being and real world leader not only catholic pope.

The pope was born in Wadowice and he was a bishop of Krakow before he wa chosen a pope. He never visited Tychy as a pope but nearby Katowice, Oswiecim (Auschwitz), Kalwaria Zebrzydowska, Wadowice and surely Krakow. A lot of citizens of Tychy went to meet him during his visits.

Confession and confessional

CONFESSIONAL  IN  ST.  MARIA  MAGDALENA  CHURCH

In the Christian religion. especially the Roman Catholic Church, a person might confess or confess their sins if they tell a priest about all the things that they have done wrong so that they can be forgiven = make their confessions.
    Confessions are made in a confessional (look at my picture) that is small enclosed box-like room. A priest is sitting inside, a confessor is kneeling outside during a confession.

Roman catholics of Tychy (majority) used to make their confessions at least twice a year: before Christmas and before Easter. Some of them make it more often: usually before first Friday of each month.

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Tychy

Comments

Tychy Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Tychy local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tychy sightseeing.