Parish church built in gothic style is oldest church in Bydgoszcz. It was erected in 1466 on the site of wooden church burnt down by teutonic knights. In 16th and 17th century four chappels were added to main building of the church. One of them St. Sebastian and Florian chappel (now Holly Cross chappel) exists to this day.
In year 1660 the baroque angelus bell was installed. The decorations are also in baroque style.
Bydgoszcz was founded by Kazimierz III, the Great - king of Poland - in 1346. This is why there are many things named to commemorate the king, like the local University.
The monument is new. It was founded in October 2006. It has four metres. The monument was designed by Mariusz Bialecki from Gdansk.
Complex of buildings built in XIX century located on river Brda and Mlynowka.
There are buildings of unknown architects such as these best architects like Jozef Swiecicki.
This part of old town is similar to Venezia, because of that it is called Bydgoszcz Venezia (Bydgoska Wenecja).
It is a nice place for quiet walking.
The Bydgoszcz's City Hall is situated on the main market square. This is a nice building, built in 1644-1653. It used to be a jesuits' school orginally. City Hall is one of the most architectionally interesting building on the market square.
There is a monument of the war and martyrdom. It sommemorates victims of fascism 1939 - 1945. The monument was founded in 1969.
I think that the monument does not feel the place. It is too big and covers the City Hall, building behide it. In addition, there is a high wall (in the picture) between the monument and the Hall. Looks not that nice.
Until the beginning of the 20th century the old market square served as the administrative and commercial center. It is not that imposing like, for example in Torun, but you may find some interesting buildings around. The most important are the library and the City Hall.
Spichrze (granaries) used to be buildings where grain was kept. Old granaries were built probably as early as in XIV century in Bydgoszcz. There are three preserved buildings. The oldest is probably from XVII century, and the orher: from XVIII/XIXc.
There is an archeology and history Leonard Wydzolkowski Museum nowdays. Those granaries are one of symbols of Bydgoszcz city.
The church of St Martin and St Nicholas (Minor Basilica) in Bydgoszcz is the oldest from the preserved temples of Bydgoszcz and the first parish church of the city. Its present structure was shaped at the turn of the l5th century, with some changes in later centuries.
The year 1999 brought to the parish church events of the highest rank, since it was the time of a historical visit of the Holy Father John Paul II in Bydgoszcz. The Holy Father raised the Fara to the rank of a co-cathedral of the Gniezno archdiocese, as well as crowned with papal crowns the image of the Bydgoszcz Madonna and the Child Jesus, presented on the most important painting of Bydgoszcz.
The Basilica is probably the best and nicest lighted building in Bydgoszcz. Just have a look at pictures.:)
A fountain, named “Children playing with a goose,” designed by the sculptor Karol Kowalczewski.
It was funded by the Kupffender family on the centenary of their drugstore. The monument was unveiled in 1909, pulled down by Germans in 1940, rebuilt and set up in its present position in 1948.
Since 1915 it has been an inactive section of the Bydgoszcz Canal. The first building project of geographer royal Franciszek F. Czacki from 1766 was not realized due to the Prussian annexation of Bydgoszcz. In 1773 the construction of the Canal according to a Prussian project began.It was opened in 1775 and since then, has been modernized several times. Its importance arose from the appearance of steamships on the Canal in 1883. About 500 000 tonnes of load (at present – no more than 50 000 tonnes) were carried by the Canal.
At present, there is a promenade with a magnificent timber stand (about 40 black poplars recognized as nature monuments). The efforts to have this technical architecture monument put on the UNESCO World Heritage List are under way.
Old town square of Bydgoszcz is a central punkt of old town, like in other towns. Square is surrounded by old houses that have historical value. In warm time of the year street cafes locate on the square.
There is three warehouses (spichrz in polish) staying together on bank of Brda river.
They were used for keeping food products that had to be transported by water way to Gdansk.
Three warehouses picturesquely accompany to Bydgoszcz old town. They became a symbol of the city.
Today local museum locates in these warehouses.
It is unusual sculpture. It doesnd stand somewhere - it "flies" above the river.
Sculpture "Crossing of river" was unveiled on the night of 30 April - 1st May 2004 on the occasion of Poland's accession to European Union.
It was presented to inhabitans of Bydgoszcz as a gift. Government of the city hopes that sculpture will become a symbol of Bydgoszcz.
Gothic-Renaissance catholic church was built in 1582 on the place of wooden chappel of Holy Spirit. It is one-nave church.
Interior is in gothic and renaissance styles. Every day at 9.00, 12.00, 15.00 (3 PM), 18.00 (6 PM) you can hear trumpet melody from the tower of the church.
It is a small, Gothic-Renaissance, one-aisle, Roman Catholic church, built between 1582 – 1602 on the site of the wooden chapel of the Holy Ghost. The church boasts a polychrome caissons ceiling and a chapel with a Renaissance attic (from 1646). I
n the interior, there is a Gothic chandelier, two magnificent wrought-iron gratings and a wooden altar from the 17th century as well as a painting of Saint Stanis³aw Kostka by Leon Wyczó³kowski. Till 1818 the church belonged to the monastery of the order of St. Clare. In 1835 it was converted to a warehouse, and in 1875 – a fire station. In 1878 – 1937 and in 1992 – 1993 the church was thoroughly renovated. Every day (at 9 am, midday, 3 pm and 6 pm) the Bydgoszcz bugle-call, based on motifs from regional Kashubian cheers and composed (in 1946) by Konrad Pa³ubicki, is played.