Internal courtyard of the town hall is popular place of live music concerts. In summer time it is excellent place for relax and enjoy music. Courtyard is used also for film festivals, for film watchings.
If the weather allows at the time of event the town hall courtyard is always full of people, all sitting places are full. Many people stay in standing. No relax, yes.
Often events are going in evening in the dark.
Some events are for free, some with a tickets. Tickets are sold in Artus Hall.
Papaya is the night club located in the old town in one of the cellars. It consists of 3 rooms - two for sitting and one for dancing. Club is compact, has nice interior with prevalence of orange-red colours. Siting places are comfortable, good for groups.
There is mini scene and place for Dj in dancing room.
Different kinds of music is played there.
In some days entrance is free.
Example of prices:
Beers Warka and Zywiec 0,5L - 6 zloty's
Dress Code: Just a convenient dress
Torun is vivid also at night. Threre are plenty of pubs and discoclubs. Some of them are close to student's dormitories and some are just in the city center. Here are some of my favourite places:
1. Pod Aniolem (Under the Angel) - Rynek Staromiejski 1( Main Squere), they have some concerts in there once in a while. If there is no concert people seat, drink and listen to "ambitious" music ( thats what they say). I dont think it is place where you can dance. Anyway they run their own little art gallery in there. The interior looks pretty nice. Thick brick walls, comfortable sofas, it is underground. The entrence is usually free. Oh, I forgot they have non smoking section too, which doesnt happen often in Polish pubs.
2. Art Cafe - Szeroka St. 35, they say the biggest adventage is that there is a mac machine by the entrence ;-). The plcace is pretty nice although I dont like the music too much (hip hop). I know they have some concerts in there.
3.MIS - Ducha Sw. St., I love it, I like the music they play ( some 60', 70', 80' and 80' and the new things) , people dance all night, its cheap, but there is one disadventage - sometimes there are too many people in there and too much smoke.
4.JAZZGOD CAFE - close to MIS, at the corner of Ducha Sw. St and Rabianska St. , The atmosphere is similar as in MIS. Music is good, lots of people dancing.
5. Kredens - Lazienna St. 3, this place loos a litlle bit different from others Torun pubs, there are three floors in there, the interior is very nice, lots of wood in there, music is good, and they organise funny competitions ( like who is going to drink beer from bartender's navel). If are early enoght you can seat on comfortable sofa, if not you have to dance all night :-)
For more see next tip.
Dress Code: no dress code in any of above :-) There is just one thing in Pod Aniolem thay say they dont allow "gosci w dresach" but it relates just to Polish ;-)
6.KRZYWA - Pod Krzywa Wie¿¹ St. 3, thats a very special place, its located in The Leaning Tower build in the 14th century. Thats the place where you can meet friends for a drink. Very nice
7.PAPAYA - Rynek Staromiejski 33/34, close to POD ANIOLEM, good music, nice interior, people dancing all night.
8. Od Nowa - Gagarina 37a, located close to dormitories but far from the center. I wanted to write about the place since it is the oldest student place in Torun, with long tradition, lots of events take place in there ( plenty of concerts, sometimes they use it as the theatre or cinema).
9. HIPNOZA -Wysoka St. 2, it can be hard to find it but it is there :-) I promise. The interior looks a little bit too sweet to me, lots of pink, they like to play "black" music, I like it so so, but if you like dancing you can try. for photos click here
Thats enoght of writing which doesnt mean there is nothing left. There are lots more places. Some you can find by clicking here
The big adventage of Torun night life is that most of the places are close to each other so if you dont like one you can be in another one in 5-10 minutes :-) First you should try the places located at the Main Squere. There are at least 10 of them.
This place is pretty cool inside with vaulted ceiling giving the place a cavernous feel. However, when you're here on a slow night that cavernous feel can just emphasize the fact that it's fairly empty. Apparently, they have hip hop acts and other live music most nights, but not when I was there. The beer was good though!
Torun is very picturesque by day, but the place is also well-lighted at night with key architectural buildings getting special spotlights to draw a little extra attention to those of us who aren't extremely familiar with every important site.
I was here on a fun Saturday night in which the crowd around the Old Town Square was in a festive mood due to the free musical concert taking place.
However, even those who didn't seem to be interested in the music were out strolling around the square and up and down the busy Szeroka Street.
The night I spent in Torun was thumpin' with music until about midnight and since my hotel was close to the main square where all the action was happening, I couldn't stay in. It was a great atmosphere of locals dancing and singing in the streets along with the band and it was intersting to see mostly families, even little kids, out until late into the night.
I never did quite figure out what the celebration was all about. Maybe it was just a free concert, but the stage was there the whole day and so were the crowds.
Got taken here by some local girls at like 2 am. It was still open and still serving beer when we left after the sun had risin. It was busy and lively. Not very big, about 12-15 tables and bar/stools. A few local people said it can be dangerous and theives go there or something. I didnt get robbed, so I dont know. It was really nice to have somewhere to go that was open and still enjoy the night.