Gruzinskie Chaczapuri, Krakow

by leics
    Frontage Of Florianska Outlet
    by johngayton
  • leics's Profile Photo

Gruzinskie Chaczapuri: Why not eat Georgian?

by leics Updated Mar 29, 2013

Gruzinskie Chaczapuri

I ate here in 2006, when I first wrote this tip.

I ate there again in 2010 with other VT-ers. Well, why not eat Georgian food when in Krakow? It appealed, I liked the sound of the menu and the prices, and so I did....and suggested it when we were seeking somewhere to eat. The 'Krakow In Your Pocket' guide is sniffy about Gruzinskie Chaczapuri but I see no reason to be.....if you want cheap, tasty food I'd rather eat Georgian than Macdonalds any day!

I would have eaten there again on my 2013 visit but physical matters stopped me doing so. But I saw at least 4 branches dotted around the old town centre and even on freezing midweek March evenings they were buzzing.

The portions are large, the prices are very good, and the food is really rather nice. I had 'lawasz', a type of folded pancake with a variety of potential fillings, including vegetarian (mine was pork and stewed veg) which is served with sauces (three; 'soft', spicy and garlic), salad and 'thin bread' (a white roll). Very filling, very tasty and very reasonably-priced.

In 2010 I had the vegetarian lawasz, with the sauces as before. I was pleased, my companions seemed pleased.....and my meal, plus a large bottle of Georgian mineral water, came to around 20 zloty (about 6GBP).

Both times I visited the restaurant was busy with locals and (I think) is totally non-smoking in this branch. There are a few tables outside too. Service (young staff) was courteous and swift, with good English spoken.

Recommended.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Gruzinskie Chaczapuri: Georgian restaurant in Krakow

by barryg23 Written Sep 30, 2006

Ruth in Gruzinskie Chaczapuri

As we were exploring the old town we passed Gruzinskie Chaczapuri, which served Georgian food. This sounded interesting to us so we went here for dinner on our first evening in Krakow. It was still afternoon in fact but we had been awake since 3am for our early flight so we went for dinner early.

I've no idea how to pronounce the restaurant name and I probably would have struggled with most of the dishes too had there not been an English translation on the menu.

We found a seat by the window and ordered a pint of Okocim, which turned out to be a lovely beer, possibly the best one I had in Poland. Ruth ordered cheese pie (a Georgian speciality) with chicken and ratatouille while I had a pork dish with a garlic sauce, rice and vegetables. It was delicious and very good value. This restaurant seemed to be a very popular place and we weren't the only ones having dinner at this early hour.

• kolabor's Profile Photo

Georgian Chaczapuri: Exotic tastes from the south-east

by kolabor Written Sep 10, 2004

Just the fact that this restaurant is Georgian makes it special, you don't oftne see dishes from this part of the continent among the overwhelming Italian, Mexican and oriental tastes. The plates aren't maybe excuisite, but very tasty and worth the money (the most expensive costs about 5€, of course unless you decide to mix a few together. But one is enough to fill even someone with big apetite. The interior is styled for a country home (I won't say that it's georgian, because I've never been to Georgia :P). Service is rather nice, but not too fast. Anyway- worth to stop by.

Favorite Dish: My favorite and also the most popular is chaczapuri. It's a salty/spicy cake with goat's cheese filling, is served with sauces (sour, garlic and spicy), salads and different kinds of meat. But for me- it's great even alone. costs 1,5 €. Even us- students can effort it.
    For a similar price you can get lawasz, it's a bit like a pencake rolled with salad and meat inside (of course oyu may order it also with for example cheese inside and other... stuff :P).

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Gruzinskie Chaczapuri: Inexpensive but Good Georgian Food

by mikelisaanna Written Sep 23, 2005

Gruzinskie Chaczapuri, Krakow's Georgian restauran

Gruzinskie Chaczpuri is a small Georgian restaurant located near Rynek Glowny. The food is inexpensive, but very good and filling. The interior is not fancy, but pleasant. From what we could tell, this restaurant does quite an active business.

• Study Abroad

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Gruzinskie Chaczapuri: Fast Food with a Georgian Twist

by johngayton Updated Sep 24, 2008

Chicken (With Loads of Fries!)

Chaczapuri is the name of a traditional Georgian dish, a sort of cheese pie, and is the speciality of this little chain of franchised restaurants clustered around the Rynek Glowny. The restaurants offer a relatively limited menu based around escalopes of chicken or pork (but with quite a reasonable vegetarian selection, including the eponymous Chaczapuri). These are big, buzzy places with a sort of faux rustic decor and very popular with the younger locals. The food itself is simple, the portions generous and all meals come with a choice of fries or rice plus complimentary bread and a set of three dipping sauces. Service is youthful, fast and friendly, the prices cheap and the menu has English translations.

OK this isn't a major culinary experience but for food for fuel it certainly fits the bill!

Favorite Dish: I opted for the Chicken Breast with Georgian Seasoning and Cheese, which was tasty and served with a huge portion of fries and the aforementioned sauces. Along with a beer my bill came to 30 Zloty, including tip,

• juzz's Profile Photo

Gruzinskie Chaczapuri: delicious sauces

by juzz Written May 2, 2006

We ate here for our first dinner, it's a nice place half restaurant and half pub (that was the impression i had). We had big dishes with chicken, sauces, vegetables and chips, beers and we ejoyed everything very much. We payed about 43 zloty (at that time, about 11 euros) for everything.

• evona's Profile Photo

Gruzinskie Chaczapuri: Georgian cuisine

by evona Updated Mar 3, 2008

This is a net of restaurants in Krakow, and since some weeks they have too a restaurant in Wroclaw. In Krakow you can find the restaurants in: ul. Florianska 26, ul. Grodzka 3, ul. Sienna 4, pl. Mariacki 8, ul. Sw. Anny 4, in Wroclaw in ul. Kielbasnicza 7a.

Favorite Dish: They have a great choice of georgian dishes: meat, vegetables, pommes frites, georgian bread. You can taste too the georgian beer. you can eat here good and not expensive.

* Georgian plate: thin slaced grilled chicken meat with Georgian seasoning served with rice or fried potatoes, salad and variouse of sauces - 11,90 zl
    * Lawasz (thin bread) with slaced chicken meat and Georgian cheese served with salad and variouse of sauces - 12,90 zl
    * Grilled pork loin in Caucasus way pickled with wine and Georgian seasoning, served with rice or fried potatoes, salad and variouse sauces - 16,90 zl

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Gruzinskie Chaczapuri: Georgian food near the Rynek Glowny

by tini58de Updated Mar 26, 2006

This Georgian restaurant is not far away from the market square, still it is not as expensive as other places in the same neighborhood. The staff was friendly, spoke excellent English and the food and beer were good! We had a steak with rice and a bread with meat (more or less like a kebab with the meat on top of the bread). The food was good, but not out of this world, so this is why we give a 3 square satisfaction vote (and satisfied we were!)

• Barboreczka's Profile Photo

Gruzinskie Chaczapuri: Georgian food in Krakow.

by Barboreczka Written Aug 9, 2008

There are 4 restaurants within teh branch "Gruzinskie Chaczapuri" (one of them has entrance from 2 streets). The restaurant offers very good food at affordable rates. The service is very nice as well as the interior design of the places.
    "Gruzinskie Chaczapuri" offers Goergian traditional dishes (from what I heard they differ a little bit from the original ones). A wide choice of dishes have also their vegetarian versions. One will surely not leave the restaurant hungry as the portions are very big - with side dishes (like fires), georgian cheese and loads of vegetables (to choose).

Favorite Dish: Chaczapuri dish with additional goeargian cheese is something that one will not find anywhere else in Krakow.

• KellyB3's Profile Photo

Gruzinskie Chaczapuri: Always enjoyable

by KellyB3 Written Feb 27, 2013

A visit to this restaurant is always enjoyable. The service is absolutely great. I've been twice now, once for a meal with my boyfriend and once with a group - nice destination for both. We had salmon and steak both times. The food was delicious, with all the Georgian classics you would expect. I particularly enjoyed pomegranate and adzika sauces. I've had some great Georgian wine and georgian grape vodka shot too. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a fun, relaxed meal in an unpretentious restaurant, where you will feel welcome and one of the family. Lovely place.

Favorite Dish: Salmon & Steak

• Wine Tasting

• BlueLlama's Profile Photo

Gruzinskie Chaczapuri: Treat yourself to a Georgian

by BlueLlama Updated Jan 15, 2008

I was left with an ambition to eat in a Georgian restaurant after seeing one in Russia - I finally got my chance in Krakow. Totally unexpectedly it has to be said. My Polish friend suggested Georgian and I was immediately interested. We passed one place, then another and another. All the same chain. Are there a lot of Georgians in Krakow? No, she said. Apparently the restaurants were a brainwave a few years ago, aimed at students.

And as other VTers have pointed out, they are certainly popular. Big places, each one we passed was busy, and the city has two more. Inside, they're decorated with painted orange walls, Georgian motifs and rustic-style tables. Menus are in Polish and English.

The choice isn't particularly varied - a basic choice of meats or bread/pie with stewed vegetable and meat - but within those categories there is every possible permutation. With rice, with chips, etc, etc. We chose one vegetarian chaczapuri (the pie) and a lawasz (much like a Mexican tortilla) with chicken. The portions were very generous and there were sides of cabbage salad and dipping sauces included. Everything was tasty, though I can't say I think chaczapuri is much like a pizza, as it is often described. Much more like a pie, with cheese - molten on top and cold in the middle, though not sure if that was intentional. Perhaps it's different in Georgia.

We also had some glasses of white wine. A number of the wines here are Georgian and the ones we tried were very good. Turns out Georgia has an ancient history of wine production, something I was ignorant of.

All in all, the food and drink was nice, service helpful and I was able to fulfill a long-held ambition. Hopefully, I'll be able to compare with the real thing one day...

Favorite Dish: The meals are all quite similar, so I can't pick one out. If I had to say one, though, it would e the chaczapuri simply because this dish is always associated with Georgia, but hard to find. The stewed vegetables go well with it and the portion is huge. All the dishes are excellent value.

• mikezawadzki's Profile Photo

Gruzinskie Chaczapuri: The only meal you will need all day.

by mikezawadzki Written Apr 16, 2008

Having read about the restaurant on VT prior to my latest trip out there over the last couple of days, we decided to give it a try. Very relaxed atmosphere and courteous service. Tasty food at a very reasonable price. None of us four could finish the main courses due to their size!

Favorite Dish: All four of us had different dishes (can't remember their names) but all were very tasty with an interesting spicy flavour.

• Gruzinskie Chaczapuri: A Georgian chain in Poland

by MiMo1407 Written Aug 25, 2006

It was quite a surprise, particularly for my wife who grew up in the former Soviet Union, to find a Georgian restaurant in Poland. Later we discovered that this seems to be actually a chain of restaurants, with at least two outlets in Krakow alone. The place we had dinner, at ulica Florianska, was a nice cozy place, and the food was good, too. The one negative point is that they didn't have any lamb meals, although according to my wife Georgian cuisine is primarily known for excellent lamb dishes.

Favorite Dish: I had selected a Lawasz, which can best be compared to a pizza calzone, although the dough is considerably thinner. It was recommendable, as was the chicken filet that my wife had ordered.

• thebestusernameever's Profile Photo

Gruzinskie Chaczapuri: DO NOT expect to eat Georgian food here

by thebestusernameever Written Aug 31, 2010

The food in this restaurant bears no resemblance to Georgian food. I will preface my devastatingly negative review by saying that I am a Georgian food aficionado. I discovered the country's extraordinary cuisine on a trip to Georgia several years ago, and ever since have frequented an amazing variety of high quality Georgian restaurants in nearby Brooklyn, New York.

Besides the misleading names of the dishes and the restaurant itself, this food has nothing to do with Georgian cuisine. What they call hatchapuri, a signature dish of any decent Georgian restaurant, is actually loaf of bread with semi-melted mozzarella on top. Even in that in mind, it's not worth ordering. The kharcho (tender lamb soup) lacks any reference to the Georgian style of soup making, but it is edible if you think of it as a regular Polish soup, and lower expectations.

Georgian dishes will often come with plum or pomegranate sauces. They offered hot sauce here, which ended up being an American-style barbeque sauce... unheard of.

You will be disappointed. Go eat at a good Polish restaurant instead.

Favorite Dish: They seem to have authentic Georgian beer on the menu, although I didn't try it.

• Gruzinskie Chaczapuri: A real Georgian would've killed himself

by gruzin22 Written Jul 28, 2009

...rather than serve "Georgian" "food" like that to customers. A frequent visitor to Tbilisi, Georgia, a long time aficionado of gruzinskaya kuchnya, I know my Georgian food. Khinkali is supposed to have "juice" inside the dumpling! So much so, that when one bites into it, s/he has to be careful for it not to squirt out. CG's were dry. The filling is supposed to be a peppered mixture of pork and hamburger and water, bound with egg; theirs had only pork. But that was not the worst offense against the culinary stronghold that is Georgia!

No, that's where the problems only started. Khachapuri can be served several styles. Ajarski, with/out egg in the center and with a two-cheese filling: salagumi and a type of feta. Kh. is a flat pancake sort of a double layer dish, whose dough is made without using water. It is pan fried and till golden brown and flipped over. GC version is a deep fried disc that is covered with ajipsandalia and chicken/pork/beef. The wait stuff is UNAWARE and UNABLE to serve Kh. without the "extra" ingredients. When my wife got her Khachapuri, she could not eat a bite. It bears no resemblance to the genuine article whatsoever.

Of course, since the food is deep fried, salted and sugared it satisfied the basic craving when hungry. At the same time, so would McDonalds. I submit to anyone who knows food, that the positive reviews of this atrocious Krakow establishment came from the same gastropods who would enjoy Mickey D's.

Poland is a country of great cuisine; Krakow has great food, but GC is far from that tradition

Favorite Dish: cyanide

Instant Answers: Krakow

• KellyB3's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2013 at 6:05 AM

• leics's Profile Photo
      Feb 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I agree. I'm looking forward to eating there again in about 3 weeks' time. :-)

Hotels Near Gruzinskie Chaczapuri