In the Jewish Quarter, Krakow

by alectrevor
  • Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Ariel: Ariel in the Jewish Quarter

by Pawtuxet Updated Oct 29, 2012

As soon as I entered Ariel, I was charmed by the atmosphere. A small gift shop at the front of the restaurant offers a nice assortment of gifts, soulvenirs and post cards. The food and service were excellent. The art work exhibited on the walls here is quite good. They encourage you to come in the evening when they have live music in one of their larger rooms.

I WANT TO RETURN SOMEDAY

• Architecture

• bankowskiboy's Profile Photo

bar resto: good food and a good bar

by bankowskiboy Written Nov 3, 2009

me and my wife have eaten here on two occasions, last year and this. and the food as been excellent both times. i ordered steak done in tabasco sauce my wife ordered pork steaks, both came with wedged potatoes and fresh veg, big helpings too, this place looks like it is popular with the business clientele during the day, but i bet it's fairly good on a night as it's a very nice bar, we shall see next time.

Favorite Dish: only been twice but enjoyed it on both our visit's.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Skeroka In the Jewish Quarter: How about some great Borsch?

by Pawtuxet Updated Jul 11, 2008

Me and my borsch...yum!

There is a little place which used to be 4 shops...and now the walls are removed to create a larger cafe. They have retained the old tools of the trade which would have been in each of the little old fashioned shops. You might sit at the carpenter's bench or the tailor's sewing machine to sip your wine. A very nice young woman gave us wonderfully gracious service.
    In one photo I'm enjoying some wonderfu Borsch. I thank Gosia for this photo. Notice the memorabilia hanging on the walls behind me.
    Sometimes you find a place that is so comfortable that you return several times... and it begins to seem as if this is YOUR town. This restaurant made us feel that way.

• Architecture

• dek516's Profile Photo

Alef restaurant: Authentic Jewish cuisine

by dek516 Written Feb 8, 2008

Alef, on the main square in Kazimierz, is not to be confused with it's next door neighbor and rival Ariel. While in Krakow, we were told by locals that Alef is the original and more authentic of the two competing restaurants. You can certainly feel the difference when you go in-- while Alef reminds visitors in a subtle way of what pre-war Jewish life in Kazimierz must have been like, Ariel throws menorahs and other Jewish mementos in your face and feels very overdone. The food at both restaurants is good.

Another interesting tidbit: while filming Schindler's List in the early 90s, Spielberg and his crew often frequented Alef. You can see framed signed photos of Spielberg in the entryway.

• zaffaran's Profile Photo

Ester: In the heart of the Jewish Quarter

by zaffaran Updated Nov 26, 2007

We visited a cafe while walking round Kazimierz- the Jewish Quarter of Krakow. There are many small and big cafes and restaurant there; we chose that because....this pavement cafe was in the rays of the Sun(and the day was too chilly to sit in the shadow. We didn't regret, although we didn't taste the dishes-only coffee and... as usualy an apple pie.

Favorite Dish: The apple pie was yummy, warm and poured with some vanilla sauce, ice cream and whipped cream. Also can't complain about the coffee!

• Restaurant Alef: Atmosphere, music and great food

by bollyandy Written Sep 20, 2007

Opposite the Remeh synagogue we stopped into the Alef in the afternoon and booked a table for later that evening before exploring further. When we returned we found the restaurant was actually much smaller than it appeared from outside - a mere 8 or 9 tables - booking essential ! Although clean and bright the decor looked as though it hadnt changed in 80 years - it really did feel like stepping back in time, pretend the war and holocaust didnt happen, enjoy the music food and conversation. The food was superb and the musicians absolutely amazing. It felt like being present at our own private recital. The incredibly superior (Jeevesian) maitre d' seemed to take great pleasure in turning away the hordes who appeared to beg a table as soon as the music started drifting through the window. We felt very smug that we got there first ! Highly recommended

Favorite Dish: The gesschelt ? fish - never had anything quite like it - nearly as hard to describe as it is to spell.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Cafe in Kazimierz

by barryg23 Updated Oct 1, 2006

At the Cafe in Kazimierz

After visiting the Stara synagogue we went for a coffee in a nearby cafe. I don't remember its name but it's very easy to find - on the corner of ul Jozefa and Szeroka, the large main square in Kazimierz. The drinks were as good value as anywhere else in Krakow though the service was a little slow. There is a nice terrace from where you have a good view of the main square.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Bagelmama

by barryg23 Written Sep 30, 2006

Bagelmama

We spent our second morning in Krakow exploring the old Jewish sights in Kazimierz. As we were walking around we spotted some nice restaurants but when we returned at lunchtime one, Pierogi, a place serving traditional Polish dumplings, had no free tables while the other wasn't serving the dish that had caught our eye (unleavened bread?!)

In the end we went to the very modern Bagelmama beside the Jewish temple and next door to Bar Propagnada where we'd had few beers the night before. This was just what we needed. The friendly waiter spoke good English and we had a bagel each (hummus for me, tuna for Ruth) and we shared a plate of nachos with mild spicy sauce. All that and two drinks came to 33 Zl.

• KyliesDad's Profile Photo

In the Jewish Quarter: Alef Restaurant

by KyliesDad Updated Jun 28, 2006

My wife and I were recommended a quaint little restaurant called 'Alef' on Szeroka. The menu choice was quite poor in comparison to other restaurants in the close vicinity. The restaurant however, did play live music ie traditional jewish music played on Double Bass, Violin etc. there was only one slight problem, when your bill arrived you were asked to pay for the music. Strange, it was only 4zl/person but I thought is was a little presumptious to ask the paying punter to pay for music which I myself found found quite depressing.

• tini58de's Profile Photo

In the Jewish Quarter: Once upon a time in Kazimierz

by tini58de Updated Mar 26, 2006

outside shops facade

I had read about this place here on VT and I fell right in love with it, so sure enough we had to go there first thing in Kazimierz! Since we had come along Szeroka street it was a little bit difficult to spot this place, but when we entered we knew we were there!

This restaurant/café is situated in a place which used to be 4 shops - now the walls have been torn down, but the decoration of each part of the restaurant is still as it used to be when it was a shop: there was a general store, a tailor's place, a carpenter's shop and a grocery store.

First impression was breathtaking! Antiques hanging on the walls and from the ceilings - and there were sewing machines and workbenches and stoves standing around, I loved it!

Second impression was that the staff was trying to play it extravagant - and that just did not go along with the place! The waitress was a little snobby and not very efficient, so at the end we did not stay very long and decided that the cheese cake was good and the artefacts were lovely, but that was it...

Still I would recommend to visit this place, but don't put your expectations up too high!

• SooBrand's Profile Photo

Dorothy's Restaurant: Fantastically cheap and authentic

by SooBrand Written Nov 29, 2005

Extremely cheap and pretty tasty. More food than you and your best friend could possibly eat.

Very authentic food (at least as far as we could tell). The food here was as good as that at far more expensive places in Krakow (and in fact probably better because expectations were lower).

We ate, including drinks for ?5. It's not world class cuisine but it fills you up, tastes fine and keeps the cold out.

Favorite Dish: I had the beef in horseradish sauce - very pleasant.
    Sue has pork and potato cakes which consisted of a potato cake as big as the plate, topped with pork stew and then another potato cake also as big as the plate...

Couldn't find place for a pudding after that.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Alef, in the Jewish Quarter: Good food in a lovely garden

by christine.j Written Sep 21, 2005

We found the Alef restaurant more or less by chance, since we were walking through the Jewish quarter and passed their lovely garden.A table just got free and we wanted to rest a bit, so we sat down.I had a look in the menue and found many dishes that I had always wanted to try. Well, during our stay in Krakow we came back a couple of times, until I had tried all I wanted to try.The weather was nice, so we were always able to sit outside.The inside looked a bit sombre.
    They serve Jewish cuisine, which included vegetarian dishes.The restaurant is not kosher, though. I especially liked their gefillte fish. The last time I had this was when I had tried to make it myself, my first and last attempt at this particular recipe. But in the Alef it was delicious.
    We then found out the Spielberg had been eating there when filming Schindler's List.

• sphynxxs's Profile Photo

bagelmama: Bagel is coming home

by sphynxxs Updated Sep 3, 2005

Nava, the owner of Bagelmama in Krakow

This place in the heart of Kazimierz is very small - just three tables and a bar from which you can look into the kitchen. It´s more like sitting in a friend´s kitchen than being a paying guest in a restaurant. Nava, the friendly chef/owner of the place just adds to this impression. There is some TexMex food, but the specialty is bagel - which originally came from this region and was brought to the New World by Polish-Jewish immigrants.

Favorite Dish: Bagel, burritos, chili con carne

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Restaurant Jewish style

by Gili_S Written Aug 13, 2005

marishabandb took us to this place, and it was really excellent.
    A unique Jewish restaurant, they make it look like old from an original stores divided to four different section in the interior. The menu was typical Polish/Jewish available also in English/Hebrew. It tasted wonderful and add to this the cold brown Debowe Mocne beer that we had with the food it was just great. Additional to this, they play some Yiddish and Hebrew music that made you feel really like going back in time.

• Restauracja Galicia: Right Around the Corner

by shelemm Written Aug 3, 2005

Go to any of the cafes in Kazimierz and you can eat well and think the prices are cheap: but go around the corner to Restauracja Galicia, and you will eat very well, in a very nice restaurant, for what the Poles eat. Jewish cusine, incredibly inexpensive. We had a two course meal featuring a sauerkraut soup, brisket with carrots, potatoes, and turnips,a drink (water flavored with marinated strawberries and cherries), and coffee. All for $4 per person including tax. Just walk past the garden (front entrance) at Klezmer Hois onto a busier street, take a right, and you're there!

Instant Answers: Krakow