Krakow Warnings and Dangers

by fairy_dust
    Krakow
    by Odiseya
  • Enjoy!  Just remember you're in Poland when paying
    Enjoy! Just remember you're in Poland...
    by suvanki

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Krakow

• Odiseya's Profile Photo

Tourist information offices

by Odiseya Written Feb 9, 2014
    Krakow

I find that Krakow have a great system that support information web about main attraction toward the visitors. At least five touristic offices I saw around Old town. And add to that and many simple outdoor presentation in square and near Krakow main train station with mostly information about cheap accommodation. I find it that very touristic friendly atmosphere attribute the attraction of Minsk as popular touristic destination in Eastern Europe.

• Singles
    • School Holidays

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

No naughty fun or drunken debauchery allowed

by fairy_dust Written Dec 26, 2013

DAO and Claus being tame and sober

Unlike Euromeet 2009, which was held in a party country (Portugal), in a town by the beach (Cascais), Euromeet 2010 was much more low-key when it came to party antics and laugh-inducing moments. Polish culture is still very conservative, and the laws reflect this - even though there was a fountain in the Main Market Square, Claus and DAO did not dare strip naked and go skinny-dipping like they did at the beach in Cascais. There is a lot of police patrolling the area, and if the "trouble twins" had gotten caught with their pants down in public, they would have been arrested, thrown in jail, and the rest of us would have had to bail them out.

• School Holidays

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Wheelchair accessibility

by fairy_dust Written Dec 26, 2013

Many places in Krakow are not wheelchair-accessible, and we noticed this because there was a VTer in our group who uses a wheelchair (Winfried - RhineRoll). Most of the buildings had steps to get in and stairs once you were in, but no ramps and very few had elevators.

As we are VTers and love to help each other out, it wasn't a problem for us to help Win - usually, 2 people (usually the big tall men in the group) would lift the chair with him still in it and carry it (with him) over the steps/stairs. One guy would take the front of the chair, and another would take the handles on the back, and there was never a shortage of volunteers for this.

• Disabilities

• glas.rothar's Profile Photo

Serious air pollution in Krakow!

by glas.rothar Written Mar 5, 2013
    smoke over Krakow

Krakow is a lovely city to visit, as it offers many sights and activities to all kinds of travellers. But before you go to Krakow, consider the air pollution levels in the city and ask yourself, is it worth loosing your health to see this place?

Krakow's pollution rates are very high, in fact it is the most polluted city in Poland. Atmospheric particulate matter (PM) is regularly several times over acceptable levels. Particulate matter of 10 micrometres (PM10) and under can penetrate to the depths of our lungs, and the EU insists that the maximum limit for PM10 should be 40 ug/m3. Krakow's levels range from 70 ug/m3 to 170 ug/m3. Those fancy numbers show the amount of cancerogenous particles in the air. As you can see, the levels of air pollution in Krakow exceed the maximum levels 2-4 times!

I wouldn't reccomend visiting Krakow to all of you who suffer from asthma or any other pulmonary diseases or allergies, to families with children and to those who simply care about their health.

You can check the levels of pollution here: http://www.malopolska.pl/Obywatel/EKO-prognozaMalopolski/Malopolska/Strony/default.aspx. Just click on the map and find Krakow . You don't need to know polish to understand the meaning of colors (green=good, yellow=medium, red=bad, purple=very bad) but the description of those levels translates roughly to: "red=don't stay in the open for too long, especially if you are a pregnant woman, a child or an asthmatic" and "purple=it is recommended to stay indoors and not proceed with any phisycal activity in the open".

So my point is: if you care about your health, choose a different destination in Poland. There are many lovely cities there, like Wroclaw, the "Triple City" (Gdansk, Gdynia, Sopot) by the sea, Lublin, Warszawa... They offer just as many beautiful sights and are just as welcoming to tourists but they are much less polluted and you don't risk health problems when you visit them.

I hope this tip is helpful.
    Cheers!

• Hiking and Walking

• Askla's Profile Photo

Traffic problems.

by Askla Updated Dec 2, 2012

Try to avoid getting in touch with the traffic police! I have seen them in action and I can say that they are much nicer on photoes than live.
    If you park at the wrong place you have problems as well, getting the claws removed. But first you have to pay quite a heavy fine which could instead have been used to......

• Gamalost's Profile Photo

Racist abuse in Old Town and overcharging in bar

by Gamalost Written Aug 30, 2012

I'm a British Asian (Indian) male, and visited Krakow last week. Generally people were friendly and I didn't encounter any problems.

Unfortunately, on a Sunday evening at around 5pm I was walking down Ulica Szczepańska (just off the main square) and heard a couple of guys shouting monkey noises at me. I stopped and turned around, and one of them spat at the ground towards me, near my shoes, and continued walking. There's not much you can do when faced with such an ugly situation whilst visiting a foreign country.

I've never encountered anything like that anywhere else in the world, including Budapest, Prague, Sofia and cities in Croatia.

I also encountered a lot of stares one night, particularly on Stolarska (also near the main square) around Tram Bar.

Although it might simply be down to not being Polish, rather than being Indian, in Tram Bar I was told the prices on the menu were "wrong" and asked to pay more for my drinks.

Whilst I'm sure darker skinned visitors to Krakow won't be unsafe, I think they should be prepared for potential unpleasantness they probably don't experience elsewhere.

• krakow. buggy tours

by laisrean Written Apr 16, 2011

i was conned to the tune of 100 british pounds when i flagged down a buggy for a tour of of the jewish area - not kazmierz the other one which included supposedly a tour of schindlers factory. it became apparent when the buggy driver told me that i would have to pay to get in even though this was listed as included, that he was conning us. the difference between the tour that included the admission and the one that didnt was 240 zloty - the admission price was 15 zloty - what a con. me and my mate had handed over 718 zloty. we objected told him we wanted our money back but would happily pay for the lesser tour - we got 300 zloty back. a total con. dont flag buggies down in the street and make arrangements through proper agencies

• alancollins's Profile Photo

Explosion in car crime

by alancollins Updated Apr 4, 2011

I was last in Krakow 2 years and have never been the victim of or seen any crime. This time was so different. I hired a car and parked it in row of cars leading to Wolski Woods. Though there was nothing left in the car someone broke into it and stole the car radio. Though I had hired the car in Warsaw the car hire company were very helpful and immediately replaced it though I had to pay approx £90 for repairs. The replacement car had a non standard radio with a detachable front, so I guess the same had happened to that car. The next day I was in the Kazimierz District by a main road when my daughter saw someone acting suspiciously. Whilst I was looking the other way he smashed a car window and stole something from inside before jogging off up the road. The area was busy and the owner of the car was close by. The following day I'm walking along a main road when a car alarm sounds and 3 men emerge from that direction and run off up the road. So my advice is find out any excess charges when you hire a car. Try and get one with a detachable radio front. Do not leave anything in the car. Always use guarded car parks. Because cars are expensive to hire in Poland there is probably a hire market for older cars which are less atractive to break into.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Very expensive apartments/flats

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

WIERZYNEK  RESTAURANT  BUILDING

It seems that apartments/flats are almost the most expensive in Poland just in Krakow. Only in Warsaw they seem to be even 30% more expensive.

The most expensive and not so easy to buy are those overlooking the Main Market Square, then on so called Royal Tract (Florianska and Grodzka street), then others in strict historic old town (inside Planty garden ring). Even those located in ugly, Soviet style huge (10-store) apartment buildings far from historic old town are expensive at least in comparison to other Polish ciies and especially in relation to people's incomes.

So how much is it?
    Prices for 1 square meter (1.2 square yard) are usually from $600 to $1500 in 4-room apartment and $700 - $1000 in a studio (1 room).
    Example: 100 sq meter flat (1 bedroom, 2 living rooms) in old tenement, peaceful district 20 min. from downtown - $120,000!

• Work Abroad
    • Study Abroad
    • Business Travel

• DAO's Profile Photo

PIGEONS KILL !

by DAO Updated Oct 22, 2010
    IDIOTS IN RYNEK G����WNY  SQUARE

Three human diseases are known to be associated with pigeon droppings: Histoplasmosis, Cryptococcosis, and Psittacosis. They all result in years of unimaginable pain and then DEATH. There are no known medicines to alleviate the pain or prolong life.

OK. Only the names of the diseases are true, but do you want to contract anything you cannot pronounce? Pigeons are flying rats. Just plain nasty. Fortunately there are expensive fines in some places for people hell-bent on feeding these rodents. They don’t need it. They can live in the wild, find food and not poo all over people in congested urbanised areas. The only reason they are pooing on your head is because people either feed them (bad) or from food litter from irresponsible people (worse).

They are completely over-breed here. Why do you want to make the situation worse? Don't do it.

• Robertvp's Profile Photo

Not so eezy peezy

by Robertvp Updated Sep 13, 2010

It would seem that the Peezy Jet staff at the Krakow departure desk at Balice are on a different wave length. Having left Gatwick five days previously we were not reprimanded for carrying an extra bag/computer as well as the carry on bag. My wife carried her handbag while I carried a small rucksack. Unfortunately on arrival at the Departure lounge at Krakow airport we were met with an over zealous representative who declared that we were in excess of our limit as a computer/handbag constituted 'luggage' and we had four items and not two. Hastily repacking we managed to squeeze everything into one bag each. We have since found out that the staff are renown for their enforcement of policy and less than pleasing approach. The security area resembles an armed camp of days gone by reminicent of the previous regime rather than a modern International Airport. One must presume that Peezy Jet Krakow is intent on limiting carry on luggage in the hopes of creating revenue on extra checked in luggage ! Other than that the Airport gets top marks for its very modern facility.

• Robertvp's Profile Photo

Not for human consumption

by Robertvp Written Sep 12, 2010

I was amazed to find that the tap water in Crakow is unsafe to drink. After an upset stomach within 24 hours of arriving at our hotel I was advised by the hotel receptionist that the tap water in Krakow is not fit to drink, bottled water being the norm. In this modern age its amazing that the word hasn't yet reached the traveller especially in such a popular city/destination

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Kraków police

by pieter_jan_v Written Aug 29, 2010

Krak��w police

In case you need them, the Kraków police is not far away.

Down town the police patrol on ATB's and the train station is surveilled by a remote controlled camera vehicle.

Police stations are located at:
    Posterunek Policji Rynek Glówny 27

Alarm telephone number: 997

• Adventure Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Enjoy your meal but don't say Thank-You!!

by suvanki Written Jul 7, 2010

Enjoy!  Just remember you're in Poland when paying

Being brought up properly to say my P's and Q's, it seems quite alien not to say Thank-You, when the waiter/waitress takes your bill and money at the end of your meal.... However, this can result in either a) being left short of money, or b) an embarrassing situation, while you try to reclaim your change........

I hadn't encountered any problems with this custom, until we were in the Czech Republic, when one of our group was left waiting for her change, and the waitress explained that when someone says 'Thank-You' when they hand over the bill and money, they mean for the waiter/ess to keep the change.

Waiting staff are notoriously poorly paid, and rely on tips to make up their wages. So I'm sure that this custom is quite useful for them.
    The expected tip is 10-15% of the total bill.

So, ensure that you have a selection of notes/coins of different denominations - Not a good idea to be paying with a 100 zloty note for a 10 zloty bill, if you want your change.

Don't say "Dziekuje" or Thank-You unless you don't want any change.

"Prosze" is the word to practice for handing over the bill, when you want your change = Please or Here You are!

Raeshty nye chaeba = Keep the rest

As I said before, I didn't encounter any problems with change, despite not having done my homework! Either we'd had the right money, or the waitresses had realised that as English tourists we probably weren't aware of this custom , and sitting there, rather than getting ready to leave probably meant that we were expecting change.

I'm sure that there will have been many altercations over the years with booze addled stag parties thinking 'They've been ripped off' Should be interesting come Euro 2012! (Warsaw, Wroclaw, Gdansk and Poznan are the Polish host cities, (although Krakow will be an entry airport/train point)

Apparently shaking hands, to denote that a deal has been agreed, also has a different meaning in Poland- It just means that 'The talking has ended'!

• Beer Tasting

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Pickpockets

by suvanki Updated Jul 7, 2010

Or did they just want to join VT?

As in all cities/towns, where there are crowds, there will be pickpockets around.

On our first day of sightseeing, Our large VT group had split into groups of about 30, to tour the sights of Medieval Krakow. Outside the Mariacki church (St Marys Church) our group was waiting to enter to see the 'opening of the altar' ceremony, that happens once a day, around noon, and so is on most tourist group schedules.

Diana (dila) had spotted these 2 women, who had 'joined' our group, and had become suspicious of them, so much that she put her hand on ones shoulder, and said "Sorry, I thought you with us" and pointed to her VT badge! The woman had walked away, but returned again with her accomplice. Diane was telling me about what had happened, and they were easy to spot. I raised my camera to take a photo of them, and they were off like a shot into a nearby shop, but soon reappeared, only to hide each time I 'targeted' them.

Later, when our group stopped again, we both spotted a young man, who was also trying to work his way into our small crowd. Again, as soon as he spotted me trying to get a photo of him, he was off like a shot!

As far as I know, no-one was a victim of these three, but it was a reminder to me to be aware of where my bag was, and who was nearby!

For me, Krakow still felt a safe city . Apparently Poland is considered to be one of the safest European Countries, with Krakow being one of Polands safest cities. Petty crime, suck as pick pocketing is on the increase, muggings are not unknown, but are sporadic incidents . Car theft, is the most common crime in Poland, and credit card fraud is on the increase

Emergency Numbers for Foreign Visitors to Poland.

Poland’s state police provide a phone service in English and German for foreign visitors.
    Call toll-free 0800 200300 for information on public safety, safe travel, and to ask for help if necessary.
    Those roaming with foreign-based cell phones should dial +48 22 6015555 instead.
    Available from from 08.00 - midnight.

Krakow's Emergency Numbers.

The emergency phone number for integrated services is 112,

Police 997, Fire brigade 998, and Ambulance 999 – all four are toll-free.

Unfortunately, most operators etc don't speak English.

Police stations do not employ interpreters, but they will bring one from the Krakow headquarters if necessary.

• Photography

Instant Answers: Krakow

Comments

Krakow Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Krakow warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Krakow sightseeing.