Tatrzanski Park Narodowy Favorites

• Favorites
    by betako3

Most Recent Favorites in Tatrzanski Park Narodowy

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

A few of the people on the hike

by GentleSpirit Updated Dec 16, 2012

Favorite thing: You get to see all sorts of people on the trail up. You might be tempted to think that its just hard core hikers there..its not! You get a bit of everything, all ages, all nationalities all skill levels.

Given that you will be on the same trail for a while (unless you take the horse carriage), you will see a sort of easy camaraderie develop. There was a group of Poles that were going up together, younger people, probably in their late teens or early 20's. Along the way there was a man with his younger sister (or daughter). She was disabled but her eyes were wide and you could tell she was having so much fun. Some of the group of Polish youngsters took turns helping the girl along, encouraging her, letting her hold on to their shoulders. The girl was smiling so much, she was just having the time of her life!

You saw the backpackers that had obviously just gotten off the bus from somewhere else hiking with big backpacks. I saw a group of like 4 nuns all in their hiking boots and full habit, hiking like troopers.Interestingly, Poles always seemed to make way for the nuns, just a sign of respect I suppose. As soon as they saw Morskie Oko, the nuns communally kicked off their boots and dipped their tired feet in the lake.

We met this older couple at the lake above Morskie Oko. It was a good steep climb,especially after how easy the trail to Morskie Oko had been. The couple was older, and while everyone else was huffing and puffing they were making it look like the most effortless climb ever. Turns out the man was 80 years old and his wife was close to that. Just incredible shape! Good on ya!

• betako3's Profile Photo

5th Krakowski Festiwal Gorski

by betako3 Written Dec 11, 2007

Favorite thing: I've just returned from an event called 5th Krakowski Festiwal Gorski (5th Cracovian Mountain Festival - or something like that) which took place in Cracow between 7-9 December '07. It was a series of films, lectures, slideshows - all devoted to climbing. In the breaks you could visit the stalls of various producers of sports equipment, and get the stuff you were missing. The huge adventage was that you had loads of experts all around you that you could ask for help and advice. There was something for bookwarms too, a few stalls with mountain literature, both books and magazines, and what I personally found amazing, there was a stall with second-hand books which had gone out of print a long time ago, so with some luck you could find those titles you had never been able to get :)
    There was also a gym with a climbing wall where you could practice a little.
    The event was great but the major disadventure for most VT members would be the language. Most lectures and slideshows were conducted in Polish.
    So why am I writing about this? Because it gave me a great kick, a shot of energy I needed in the middle of bleak winter season. And besides, although most stuff was Polish only, there were some foreign guests, too; Mick Fowler, Steph Davis, Dean Potter talked about their experiences of climbing in English. So next winter when in Poland, if you're interested in climbing, look out for the 6th Krakowski Festival Gorski.

• betako3's Profile Photo

Keep you eyes open

by betako3 Updated Aug 15, 2007

A chamois

Favorite thing: This is what you can see if you keep your eyes open and your mouth shut in the mountains. Iwona spotted this chamois as we were heading towards Szpiglasowa Przełęcz. I saw another one a few years earlier on Czerwone Wierchy, near Kasprowy. The night before, my brother and I were sleeping in the hostle on Kondratowa Hala. I went to bed early while my brother went out on the porch to sip a beer and look at the stars. Then he saw a male deer grazing peacefully some 30 meters away, balancing huge antlers on its head. An hour later my brother was driven away by the cold and the deer kept on grazing.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Climbing Swinica

by barryg23 Updated Oct 2, 2006

Taking a break on the climb

Favorite thing: It had been raining, we were cold and wet and quite tired but it felt great to reach the top of Mount Swinica. At 2301 metres it's a few hundred metres short of the highest peaks in the Tatras but it was still a tough enough ascent in the awful weather conditions.

We had started our hike from Kasprowy Wierch so we were approaching Swinica from the west on a red trail. The red trail meets a black trail at a saddle point below the mountain. From there on it's a tricky enough uphill climb.

We began the climb well passing a guy who had passed us at the saddle point earlier. In fairness, he was carrying a huge backpack so it wasn't surprising we passed him so soon. We passed a family, one of whom was a young girl not more than 6 years old. If she could do it so could we! The trails were very well marked with red and white chalk or paint to indicate the route.

The path continued to the right and we walked on solid ground for a bit. Then the chains started - these were necessary to pass some of the trickier parts. After one change of direction past a difficult pass we emerged on the other side of the mountain where we could see two beautiful lakes to our right. Or at least when the cloud cleared and the rain stopped we could. It' s frustrating how quickly the clouds descend on you at this height.

There were more chains after this and from there on it was a tricky enough climb to the top. Very near the top, it became very steep and we had to wait for a group above us to come down. One girl in the group was taking it very slowly though to her credit she didn't panic.

It was raining heavily at this point and clouds covered the mountain, so we had no great views. The final 10 m of the ascent was the trickiest. I left the walking stick behind a rock and we clambered over fairly slippery rocks to the top.

Fondest memory: It was nice feeling to get to the top - 2301 metres - maybe the highest we've ever climbed. I took a picture of the guy with the backpack who had arrived just after us, and we took pictures of each other. We didn't linger long as it was raining heavily and it didn't look like the clouds would pass, which was a great pity, as I can only imagine how good the views would be on a clear day.

We went down a different red trail along Eagles Path - which turned out to be the most difficult part of our day. The stick became a hindrance, we had to use ladders and chains and it was getting near lunch so we were both getting hungry and finding it difficult to concentrate. I'm glad we were going down rather than coming up as that must have been hell.

Polana Palenica...

Polana Palenica, Poland

Fondest memory: This is my journey to The Eye Of The Sea; Otherwise known as Lake Morskie Oko.
    From Poprad [Please click, to go to MY POPRAD PAGE] (Slovakia), I took a bus entering Poland; Got off the bus at Lysa Polana; Stamped my passport (no hassle).
    From Lysa Polana, I took a bus for a short journey (about 15 minutes or so) to the carpark area called Polana Palenica.
    It was early morning, around 8 am; So there was not that many people yet. The souvenir stalls just being opened & I was searching a place to put my luggage ! Nobody could really speak English but a nice lady at one souvenir stall said I could put my luggage underneath her table, selling souvenirs ! It was all understood using the sign language ! Bought the ticket & off I went to do some 9 km walking up Lake Morskie Oko !NEXT, I WOULD BE SHOWING ALL THE PHOTOS THAT I TOOK IN REACHING LAKE MORSKIE OKO ! SEE THE AMAZING SCENIC PHOTOS ON HERE !

Lysa Polana, Poland

After my passport was stamped, I changed some Polish money & bought some drinks at a kiosk there in Lysa Polana.
    The photo is showing the area, but I was then on the Polish side, great !

Lysa Polana, Poland

The photo now is showing The Custom Office in Lysa Polana. Only took them a few minutes to grant me entry into Poland. Although they did ask me whether I had a visa, I said "I Do NOT Need One !".

Lysa Polana, Poland

The photo is showing The Border Checkpoint in Lysa Polana, taken the photo while I was still in Slovakia side...

Tickets

by ania70pl Written Jun 7, 2003

Favorite thing: To go to the Tatrzanski Park Narodowy you have to buy ticket.
    15.12.2002 - 15.06.2003
    normal ticket 4.00 PLZ
    for children from 4 yo 2.00 PLZ

Some hiking rules

by ania70pl Written Jun 7, 2003

Favorite thing: Choose a trail which you are sure you'll be able to pass. Check its passability.

Never go alone and inform people about your route and estimated return time.

Start your tour in the morning.

Keep to marked trails. On the Morskie Oko I saw very "inteligent" people who wanted to play on the snow. But they forgot that this snow, with stones, broken trees and shrubs was a remaining from the avalanche and every minute it could sink again.

Don't shout, shouting means that somebody needs help.

Tatra Mountains

by ania70pl Written Jun 7, 2003

Favorite thing: Polish Tatra Mountains are known as very fine center of tourism, recreation, skiing, mountaineering and alpinism. There are several ski-lifts in Gasienicowa and Goryczkowa Valleys and a cable car from Kuznice in the city of Zakopane to Kasprowy Peak from which you can take a picturesque view of High and West Tatras. Also, you can visit Morskie Oko (Eye Of The Sea), a beautiful lake located at the feet of Rysy and Mieguszowieckie - the highest peaks in Poland.
    You can also find very interesting climbing areas there. Some walls are 1000m high.

• National/State Park

Instant Answers: Tatrzanski Park Narodowy

Comments

Tatrzanski Park Narodowy Favorites

Reviews and photos of Tatrzanski Park Narodowy favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tatrzanski Park Narodowy sightseeing.

View all Tatrzanski Park Narodowy hotels