Know about this? Rate It!
The memory of Pawiak
On the city of Warsaw you will also find Pawiak. Before the WW II it was a prison but when the WW II started Nazis made Pawiak as their head sqaud. When war ended it was destroyed but now days there is a museum. Museum tells the stories of extermination Camps. Very touching place. You are able to see the notes and gifts which prisoners made for their loveones. There isn't entrance fee but donation is adviceable.
Pawiak (Thanks to E-Diogo for...
Pawiak (Thanks to E-Diogo for helping me with the correct name)-A political prison.
I was glad to hear from E-D again who provided the following information about Pawiak:
This prison was used first by Russia (in the 19th century), and then by Germans during Second World War. Many people destined to go to concentration camps (including Auschwitz) first were in Pawiak.
Pawiak was destroyed in 1945. During communism, political prisoners were kept in Rakowiecka prison (which is also a prison for criminals). The policy of the communist regime was to keep political prisioners together with criminals, to humiliate them even more.
The names of the victims who were tortured and killed were placed on this tree and left as a reminder of the cruelty of mankind. Imagine being murdered because you had an opposing political view? Still happens all the time in this world...
Pawiak Prison museum: I...
Pawiak Prison museum: I stumbled across this odd place, which looked too scary to go into. Pawiak was Warsaw's nastiest prison in the Tsarist era and through WWII also. Just the outside was pretty creepy--this tree is plastered all over with plaques commemorating people who were imprisoned there.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Warsaw Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Katugastota Hotels
- Wear Valley Hotels
- Bay Point Hotels
- State of Himachal Pradesh Hotels
- Indiana Off The Beaten Path
- South Dakota Off The Beaten Path
- Montreal Off The Beaten Path
- Thailand Off The Beaten Path
- Istanbul Off The Beaten Path
- Cleveland Off The Beaten Path
- South Carolina Off The Beaten Path
- Memphis Off The Beaten Path
- Madrid Off The Beaten Path
- Puerto Rico Off The Beaten Path
- Arkansas Off The Beaten Path