Kompania Piwna, Warsaw

PODWALE 25 Piwna Kompania: Superb food, live music, charming atmosphere

by JessH Updated Feb 17, 2007

Pierogi, Sausage, Cabbage & Beer, Warsaw

Podwale 25 "Piwna Kompania":
    We discovered this restaurant after strolling around the old town of Warsaw, passing the Barbican (old town wall) and hearing live music coming from a courtyard across the street.

We entered and were delighted to see a gorgeous setting with many patrons, children feeding bread to pigeons and waiters busily swirling from table to table, with what looked like generous portions of steaming goodness!

We were lucky to get a table outside (there is also indoor seating) and enjoyed a large beer whilst surveying the menu. Sure: it's blatantly aimed at tourists. Slightly cheesy. Not "authentic"... but nevertheless it's a great laugh and a good place for a pit-stop if you're in the old town anyway :-)

Favorite Dish: Prices are reasonable, especially for this touristy area of town.
    We ordered various Pierogi (dumplings/ravioli) for 18 Zloty, potatoe sausage with beetroot & mixed, wild mushrooms for 22 Zloty and superb pickled herring with oil, onions,fresh salad & homemade bread for 31 Zloty. There are also a few vegetarian options.

The waiters seemed a bit rushed, stressed and not overly friendly, but curtious and efficient nonetheless. A two-man band played traditional Polish and German songs and we had a fanstastic time.
    After lunch, we were presented with free shots of Polish cherry liqour... delicious!

I would definitely eat here again & highly recommend anyone to visit Piwna Kompania on their stay in Warsaw.

• MarekW's Profile Photo

Kompania Piwna Podwale: GOLONKA HEAVEN

by MarekW Updated Oct 30, 2006

Entrance to the restaurant

There are only couple of thing that I do in Warsaw, sightsee and go to Podwale for golonka.

Favorite Dish: GOLONKA aka pig's knuckle aka Schweinshaxe. Best served fresh from the oven with beer (see attached photo), fresh horseradish and Bavarian mustard. I have no idea how they do it but so far this is the best golonka I ever had, juicy meat on the inside and crispy skin on the outside. The best part thou is underneath the skin, layer of fat that melts in your mouth :)

• gale.blog.pl's Profile Photo

Podwale Piwna Kompania: Most popular?

by gale.blog.pl Updated May 29, 2006

Interior

This is one of the most popular restaurants among dwellers of Warsaw. It's very close (right across the street) to the Old Town. They have a good service, nice interiors in a rustical-German style and a fair menu. As far as prices are concerned I can say they're fair.

Kompania Piwna hosted several VT meetings in Warsaw.

Although the restaurant's name is 'Piwna Kompania' ('Beer Company") beware of what they call beer and I call yellow water. This is definetely NOT beer!!!

Favorite Dish: I had a very good grilled salmon with rice and grilled mixed vegetables.

• Study Abroad

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo

Kompania Piwna: Book in advance!!

by dejavu2gb Updated Apr 4, 2006

Kompania Piwna

We heard from many people that this was one of the best restaurants in Warsaw. As we passed by it whilst siteseeing we thought we'd reserve a table, but to our disappointment, they had already been fully booked up at 1pm!!

We decided to return to try our luck at getting a table! Fortulately we managed to get seated after about a 40 minute wait.

Favorite Dish: They have an extensive menu, but the main focus is on the meat. We ordered a meat platter which was just incredibly large!! We could not even eat all the food between 2 of us.
    The food was very tasty and the beers very large.

What I would mention that if you are not a fan of blood sausage, is that you stipulate that you dont want it on your platter.

Its a very nice restaurans to come for a meal, and experience a nice atmosphere! But make sure you book in advande to avoid disappointment.

• Beer Tasting

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo

Kompania Piwna: Kompania Piwna

by ZiOOlek Written Mar 4, 2006

The restaurant was founded in 2001. It has a unique style and atmosphere. Waitresses are dressed in orginal white - green skirts. If you are lucky you will be able to listen to live music in the restaurant.

A VT meeting took place in Kompania Piwna on January 20, 2006. More photos from the meeting you may find here.

Favorite Dish: They offer wide variety of sousages and meat, prepared according to traditional recipes. You may also order fish or a soup. This is a place where you get a one litre beer!

• AndreSTGT's Profile Photo

Kompania Piwna Podwale: Hearty food

by AndreSTGT Updated Jan 29, 2006

Huge servings of hearty Central European food, cheap beer and awful folk music in a beer hall atmosphere. I would never visit such a place in Germany, but here in Poland it was fun. The food (sausages, mashed potatoes, sauerkraut etc..) was actually quite tasty and inexpensive by Warsaw standards.
    Don't go there if you're on a diet!!! 'Podwale' sounds very similar to the German word 'Pottwal', which means spermwhale, and you certainly feel like one when you leave this place.
    Mains 18-25 pln
    Beer 6 pln

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Kompania Piwna: Gigantic, excellent meals, great fan!

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 26, 2006

VT-GANG IN PIWNA KOMPANIA RESTAURANT

We, 24 VT-ers from 9 countries, had a VT-meeting on January 20, 2006 in this restaurant. We had seperate space with 3 large tables and some place in the middle for later crazy dances :-). This large restaurant was full of people (350) in many smaller and larger rooms (real labirynth ---> watch your way to toilet to come back to right table :-) and had own musician Polish band (trio) which played all the time changing rooms. I recommend to make a reservation in advance even for 1-2 people at least for Friday and Saturday evenings.

The menu in Polish and English contains Polish/Central European meals with some German influence. Well, is Germany in Central or Western Europe? - that is the question! We, VT-group, got 10% discount for everything we ate and drank. Beer (warning: limited choice: Polish Tyskie and Czech Pilsner Urquel) is served in 0.4 (small; 6 zl) and 1 liter (large; 15 zl/4 euros) mugs. At about midnight our pretty waitress gave us a gift from the restaurant: a glass of Polish cherry (10 zl/2.6 euros) for everyone. Well, we switched to cherry that time :-).

Favorite Dish: 1. Roasted potato sausages with marinated wild mashrooms (21 zl/5.5 euros) - gigantic portion, in fact difficult to eat by 2 hungry people :-).

2. Board of mixed meat for 2 people (35 zl/9 euros) - in fact it was enough food for 4 people! I have never seen so gigantic portion of meat. It was a pyramid of various kinds of meat put on a large wooden board. Once we had big meat meal (for 2) in Austria but... Kompania Piwna serves the world's largest portions, I guess :-).

The food was excellent... yummy...
    Next time I'd try the same or something else:
    - wildmushrooms soup polish-style (zupa grzybowa)
    - red beetroot soup (barszcz) with small meat dumplings - keeps you warm on cold days
    - pork ribs roasted with honey and nuts or barbeque souce
    - grilled salmon served with potatos and mixed vegetables.

• Beer Tasting

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

Podwale Piwna Kompania: Podwale Piwna Kompania

by AcornMan Written Sep 7, 2004

World's biggest wiener schnitzel?

Podwale Piwna Kompania serves delicious Polish quisine with a strong German/Central European influence. The portions served here are absolutely gigantic. I had the biggest wiener schnitzel I've ever seen in my life (see photo), though I did manage to eat the whole thing through sheer determination. Everyone in my group had an excellent meal, but bring a hearty appetite if you decide to eat here. I guarantee you won't leave hungry.

Favorite Dish: Wiener schnitzel. I've always been a sucker for a good wiener schnitzel. Not only did I get a good one here, but the thing was monstrously enormous.

Instant Answers: Warsaw

Comments

Hotels Near Kompania Piwna
4.5 out of 5 stars