Middle Eastern Cuisine, Warsaw

by alancollins
  • AcornMan's Profile Photo

Hammurabi: Hammurabi

by AcornMan Written Sep 7, 2004

I was intrigued by the number of Turkish/Middle Eastern restaurants I saw all over Warsaw. This seemed all the more odd considering the fact that I saw almost no one who appeared to be from Turkey or the Middle East. I found out why these two curious circumstances coexist when I ate at Hammurabi, a self-styled Middle Eastern restaurant on Nowy Swiat. Although the food was pretty good it was nowhere near authentic. My first clue was that there was so much pork on the menu, but if that wasn't enough my suspicions were justified when my "kebabs" were served and they turned out to be nothing more than seasoned beef patties with a large side of french fries and cabbage. It was a filling meal and tasted just fine, but having eaten quite a bit of authentic Turkish and Middle Eastern quisine in the past I have to say it was a bit of a let down. Still, if you know what you're getting into when you go there you probably won't be disappointed. I wouldn't bother seeking this place out, but if you're hungry and you happen to find yourself standing in front of it you can probably get a decent meal there.

• alancollins's Profile Photo

Cheap Kebabs

by alancollins Written Dec 11, 2004

Lunch

Visited this kebab outlet about four times and it was always busy. The food was always good, plenty of it and inexpensive, the cheapest kebab being 6 zlotys.

Instant Answers: Warsaw