Polish Cuisine, Warsaw

by micas_pt
  • ZiOOlek's Profile Photo

Delicja Polska: Delicja Polska

by ZiOOlek Written Oct 26, 2011

I have chosen this place for a special birthday dinner of my friend. I was there on Friday evening. I book a table in advance but it was not necessary as the restaurant was not crowded.

The interior is really great - cosy but elegant. The service was ok but nothing special. The waitress recommended a good wine for the dinner. However, they gave us only the menu with meals and we had to ask for the menu with wines.

We have ordered two soups: żurek (Polish style, traditional white sour borsch) and mushrooms flavored consomme. Both soups were too salty. As a main course we had veal meat (good) and chicken salat (also good).

All in all, the main courses were ok but should be really delicious as for such restaurant. Moreover, the portions were really small.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Gospoda Pod Kogutem: Service with a Smile - Well not here anyway

by scottishvisitor Updated Apr 4, 2011

Window to another world

The restaurant had a very farmhouse feel with its cosy decor, little tables with lace cloths and strings of garlic & onions hanging from the bar - the atmosphere was interrupted when some drunks arrived looking for some food - they were quickly refused & sent on their way. Although the food was very good the waiter acted as if he couln't care less whether you were there or not and certainly didn't care if we enjoyed our meal or not. I think this place could do better by employing staff who took pride in their work

Favorite Dish: Wholesome and filling food all home cooked at very reasonable prices. My husband had steak with fresh vegetables & small sized crunchy pieces of roast potatoes I had a delicious roast pork dish with a heavenly plum sauce & of course fresh vegetalbles & the very tasty little roast potatoes.

• Castles and Palaces

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Bar Pod Barbakanem: 15 times cheaper than in a fancy restaurant :-)

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

BUSY BAR POD BARBAKANEM

I once (in 2002 or so) discovered this milk bar by coincidence thanks to heavy rain. Haha, I can't stop laughing. I remember so-called milk bars from my university years. A lot of great ideas were born in young free minds there, despite spartan setting, simple and the cheapest food and somewhat not pretty aroma (sometimes rude staff, too) in those past milk bars from 1980'. After years of fascination of various "western", foreign food Poland tries to re-store those old Polish milk bars now. Well, they can't look and smell like their original cousins from the communist past, you would never enter them in that case, believe me.

This one in Warsaw called Bar Under the Barbican (open daily 8 am - 6 pm) is similar to the original milk bars in unusual mode of service: first you have to go to the cashier to order a meal and pay, you will be given a small piece of paper with a number. The kitchen is connected with the eating room by a small window signed "Wydawanie posilkow" (distributing meals) with a shelf/counter below (picture here). Dishes with ready meals are put at the counter with accompanying shout coming from the kitchen and calling "the number" to take his/her meal. Well, be careful if you don't know numbers in Polish language haha. Stay close to the window and watch like a dog for your meal. Good luck :-).

No worries, you will be prized with simple but unbelievable cheap and mostly tasty food. Warning: the place is very busy in rush hours that is from, say, noon to 3 pm.

Favorite Dish: I had "pierogi z miesem" (dumplings with minced meat) and Polish beetroot soup called "barszcz" (borscht) which is the local culinary heritage of many Eastern and Central European nations. Both were almost as good as the similar meals (well, add croquet to the soup) in fancy "U Fukiera" restaurant in the Old Town Market Square but cost only 8 (eight!) zl (= 2.1 euros or US$2.6) that was some 15 times less! Well, it's not an appropriate place for business meetings :-)

Another typical milk-bar style meals are: mushroom soup (2.3 zl), breaded pork chops with cabbage and mushrooms in cream but... skip that fat cream :-), cacao, milk or fruit compot to drink (all 1 zl). Warning: prices might have risen a bit since 2002.

• Raimix's Profile Photo

Ceprownia: Polish food at "Ceprownia"

by Raimix Written Mar 21, 2011

It was a place, typical Polish village style and consisting Polish food. We ordered two dishes with meat dumplings and tea. Actually the portion was not typical Polish (looked a bit too small for dinner). It was a surprise when extra 10 percent to final account was added for a service. We paid about 55 zloty for food and tea.

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

Zapiecek: Try the dumplings

by micas_pt Written Mar 18, 2011

Restaurant Zapiecek on Ul. Freta

We had late lunch in this typical Polish restaurant. We came across it "by chance" while walking from Rynek Nowego Miasta to Rynek Starego Miasta, via Ul. Freta. We were hungry and it was beginning to rain so we decided to risk having lunch in this touristy street. Fortunately, the restaurant turned out good and later while re-reading the "In Your Pocket" guide to Warsaw I learnt that there is also a Zapiecek restaurant on Al. Jerozolimskie, 28, that is near our hotel. This restaurant is renamed for its pierogi (dumplings, kind of a ravioli with varied fillings).

I tried pierogi, they presented them boiled and served with separate sauce or cooked/ grilled/ fried on a pan. I choose this later version. Concerning filling, I choose mushrooms and cabbage and they were also sprinkled with bacon. I enjoyed my lunch very much, I like this kind of food - it is warm, filling and tasty. I drank a kind of infusion made with dry apple, berries and cinnamon, also very tasty.

My husband tried a nice drink, special for Winter days: it is a hot drink made of boiling water with varied condiments, such as tea, clover and cinnamon, and then it takes a shot of vodka. Warm and tasty!

I was the only one who tried local specialties, concerning food, but my husband and son's lunch was also very good: they tried crepe with chicken and stuffed vegetables, and grilled chicken with green beans and french fries. All plates were big, tasty and very good.

The restaurant is decorate in a cosy typical style, and it seems to be a busy restaurant, almost no available tables when we arrived and when we left. Service is good.

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo

Zapiecek: Pierogi Paradise

by MichaelFalk1969 Updated Jan 9, 2008

There are four "Zapiecek" - restaurants in Warsaw - one in the Old Town, one near the Charles de Gaulle roundabout and another a few metres from the Barbican in the New Town. They are rightfully famous for the typical Polish "Pierogi" (hot dumplings with salty or sweet filling and lard or sour cream) and other local dishes. The restaurants are small and quite cozy with a "traditional" ambiente. They are obviously very popular - it can be hard to find a table at times, but that`s why they have four restaurants in Warsaw. The quality of the food was tasty and excellent, the service quick and friendly, and the prices where incredibly cheap for Warsaw standards.

Favorite Dish: Wheat Soup with Sausage

Mixed Pierogi Plate

• JessH's Profile Photo

STAROMIEJSKA Restaurant: In the heart of the old town

by JessH Updated Sep 16, 2007

Grilled Trout in Warsaw, Poland :-)

We decided to have lunch at this restaurant on our first day in Warsaw. The outdoor terrace, bathed in sunshine and red flowers looked rather inviting and a sign declared "traditional Polish cuisine." I am a great believer in trying authentic local dishes & customs wherever I travel, so we gladly settled at one of the rustic wooden tables.

Situated in the heart of the Old Town right at the Pl. Zamkowy this restaurant is a favourite among both residents & tourists. When we arrived there was already a group of old Polish gentlemen enjoying some large bowls of soup and seemingly laughing about joint memories of their youth. The atmosphere is enhanced not only by the pleasant interior (but with such nice weather it would be a shame to sit inside) but also by the amazing view of the Zamek Krolewski (King's Castle) right opposite.

Favorite Dish: Delectable Polish cuisine & a superb wine selection, as well as 3 types of local beer and of course, Vodka!
    As a starter we shared 2 orders of Pierogie, traditional Polish dumplings stuffed with cheese & potatoes or also sauerkraut (cabbage) & mushrooms. My friends ordered a whole frying pan full of sausages with wild mushroom ragout & homemade bread; they absolutely loved it!
    I was in the mood for some freshwater fish, as that is something of a rarity where I live. I asked the waiter for his recommendation and he asked me whether I eat a lot of fish. I do, and so he suggested grilling a whole trout, simple & delicious with grilled potatoes and fresh vegetables. Sometimes simplicity can be so satisfying, and it was! Wash it all down with an ice-cold Tyskie beer - perfect! Excellent for my first day in Warsaw :-)

To sum it all up: decent portions, pleasant service, lovely view and extremely helpful staff: We had some questions about more sights of the city and they gave us very good information. I can truly recommend this restaurant, whether you're popping-in for a quick lunch, or for a long & special dinner.

Opening Hours: 7 days a week, 11:00am - 12 midnight.
    Live local music every Friday & Saturday evening.

Bazyliszek: Polish patisserie

BAZYLISZEK PATISSERIE AND CAFE, ENTRANCE

When we, 6 brave or crazy VT-ers looking for a small breakfast in extremely cold Saturday morning (some -20C or so), entered Bazyliszek cafe/patisserie the two just awaken ladies behind the counter looked at us like they had seen invaders from space. Indeed, it's likely that we were the only consumers that terribly cold morning. Additionally we used some strange for the ladies language and the one of us was Black. Well, in generally mono-racial Warsaw (well, there are few Asians) Toyin didn't meet any his sisters and brothers except a three ones on... the 2 paintings in the Royal Castle.

Anyway, as soon as the ladies heard well known for them Polish language they ufff.. stopped to look at us with basilisk's sight. Check my local custom tip on Bazyliszek if you don't see what I mean. They started to be a bit faster and even smile. The patisserie has a few small (read extremely small in American English) tables and offers croquetes and a choice of Polish cakes and pastries. Hmm... diffucult to chose as there is no word in any language but Polish. And they don't have any device to warm anything... At least good hot expresso caffee with milk warmed my body.

Favorite Dish: Krokiecik (1.9 zl - 0.5 euros) - Polish little croquet, a sausage-shaped parcel of minced meat, encased in breadcrumbed pancake and panfried - tasted good but should be served warm!

Paczek, plural paczki (1.5 zl - 0.4 euros) - a traditional Polish doughnut, a deep-fried piece of dough shaped into a flattened sphere and filled with marmalade made from fried rose buds. They were covered with icing and tasted very good in my opinion, my recommendation.

Faworki (called sometimes chrusty; 34 zl = 9 euros per kilo) - Polish homemade speciality, sweet light crispy biscuits in the shape of thin folded ribbons, deep-fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar. I loved them cooked by my mom for Fat Thursday but those ones in Bazyliszek were awful, old and dry ones... shame on them to sell them. They must be warm and fresh to taste great!

The ladies apologized that probably due to transportation problems they hadn't already got fresh pastries that morning. So, maybe when you come there... try "Makowiec Polski" - Polish poppyseed pastry (19.5 zl = 5.1 € per kilo) . Anyway I have a very long list of improvements for this patisserie... let them go bancrupt if they don't change soon :-)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

U Pana Michala: The Great Four In One :-)

U PANA MICHALA, THE ENTRANCE

I found "U Pana Michala" a fascinating place for a few reasons. Well, it's four in one:

1. Tiny local restaurant on the fround floor designed in nice, a bit rustic style serving some home-made delicious Polish food at not only average Warsaw (= high as for Poland) prices. It's open daily 10 am - 8 pm.

2. Pretty, small undergrounds, a brick wall cellar - charming place for a meeting with friends and cold beer :-). Open Mon - Sat 4 pm - midnight, Sun 2 pm - midnight.

3. Great gallery of artistic photography in the underground. Many Polish famous photographers display their works of art there.

4. Charming pub in a cellar, amusing place to invite or meet friends and hear beautiful music played and sang by Polish musicians (from 8 pm; reservation recommended) - details in my nightlife tip: "Music in Warsaw."

Favorite Dish: I tried their Polish, homemade "pierogi z miesem" (dumplings with meat) - fantastic and inexpensive (only 10 zl = 2.7 euros per 12 dumplings), so I bought more to eat them later at home.

Once we had "sernik na cieplo z wisniami i bita smietana" (warm cheesecake with cherries and whipped cream; 7 zl) and "szarlotka na cieplo z lodami i bita smietana" (apple pie with ice creams and whipped cream; 8 zl) - both yummy... although I am not a fan of apple pie :-).

Full meal (soup + meat meal: veal, pork, beef - I never tried them) cost over 30 zl. For a budger visitor I'd recommend Polish borscht with croquet ("barszcz czerwony z krokietem"; 9 zl), a beetroot soup being the local culinary heritage of many Eastern and Central European nations.

Local, Polish beer cost 6.50 zl (1.7 euros) per 0.5 l.

• Music

Domowy okruszek: Excellent home-made Polish food

RUSKET, BRAD (Bradbrown) AND DOMOWY OKRUSZEK

The Polish words "domowy okruszek" mean a small home crumb. Well, it's not at all restaurant, it's a small local, family run (only 1 employee is a stranger) company which cooks home made Polish food at night and sells it the next day exclusively in small "Domowy okruszek" shop/grocery designed in rustic style and liven up by a few very small tables when you can take a seat to try their products.

Thus it's a great option to those VT-ers who:
    1. travel single or in a small group of preferrably thin folks :-)
    2. love delicious local Polish food or just want to try it and fall in love
    3. are on a short budget
    4. do not need any beer or other alcoholic beverages and do not smoke
    5. have cash (they are conservative and old-fashionable haha ---> it's probably the last place in Warsaw where cards are not accepted in 2006)
    6. do not eat on Saturday and Sunday (well, these days are traditionally designated for rest and... church not for night cooking :-).

Favorite Dish: Well, the menu is in Polish so let me translate: "pierogi z" means dumplings with:
    pierogi z miesem (meat)
    pierogi z kapusta (sauerkraut)
    pierogi ruskie (Russian)
    pierogi z serem (cheese)
    pierogi z pieczarkami (mushrooms)

krokiety z (croquets with)
    krokiety z miesem (meat)
    krokiety z jajkiem (egg)
    krokiety z kapusta (sauerkraut)

kotlety schabowe (pork chop)
    kotlety mielone (rissole)
    kotlety ziemniaczane (potato rissole)
    kotlety gryczane (buckwheat rissole)

MY FAVOURITES (usually not available in fancy restaurants, never abroad)
    kopytka domowe - small home-made dumplings made of mashed potatoes, eggs and flour - spaeciality of my mother, yummy... :-)
    kluski slaskie - Silesian potato dumplings (typical for southern Poland, Silesia region - German influence :-)
    golabki miesne - stuffed cabbage (with rice, meat, herbs, mushrooms) - next home speciality of my mother :-)

Pierogarnia: Fairy-like Polish dumplings

PIEROGARNIA, THE ENTRANCE

This conveniently located restaurant is open daily from 10 am and specialize in yummy homemade Polish pierogi (dumplings) sold at very reasonable price! I discovered this tiny, fairy-like restaurant in January, 2006 and loved it at first sight. The name derives from Polish word "pierogi" (dumplings) and means a place where dumplings are made. This kind of inexpensive eatery has become popular in Poland recently. There is another Pierogarnia hidden down Bednarska Street (# 28/30). It's run by the same company and subsidized by a nearby monastery.

That one in Swietojanska is a small, modest room, pretty designed in rustic style with a few wooden tables squeezed one by one. Very friendly, costumed waitresses run fast among tables. There is no menu in English and the young waitresses can speak only "thank you" in English, always with a charming smile though :-). However, there are names of basic meals (including dumplings) in English, German and Polish on pieces of paper fixed to side walls. The service is fast, cards are surely accepted. Warning: the restaurant is often busy, you may make a reservation by phone.

Favorite Dish: They offer pierogi (dumplings) with;
    1. meat (Pierogi z miesem)
    2. mushrooms (Pierogi z grzybami)
    3. sauerkraut and mushrooms (Pierogi z kapusta i grzybami)
    4. spinach (Pierogi ze szpinakiem)
    5. lentil (Pierogi z soczewica)
    6. white cheese (Pierogi z serem)
    7. apples (Pierogi z jablkami)
    8. dry plumps (Pierogi z suszonymi sliwkami)
    9. poppy seeds, nuts and dried fruits (Pierogi z makiem i bakaliami)
    and so-called
    10. Russian dumplings (Pierogi ruskie) - with white cheese, mashed potatoes, and onion.
    11. borderland's dumplings (Pierogi kresowe) - I have no idea what's that :-).

Each portion includes 8 hot dumplings topped with bread crumbs and costs 9.90 zl (2.6 euros) except dumplings with spinach and mushrooms which cost 11 zl (2.9 euros). If you want to try various dumplings order either 9 dumplings (Duzy miks pierogow; 11.50 zl) or 5 (Maly miks pierogow; 7.50 zl). If you want sweet dumplings order 5 fruit dunplingd (Maly miks pierogow na slodko; 7,50 zl). If 8 dumplings are too few for you, the next 4 cost only 2.90 zl.

I tried those numbered 1-4 and all tasted FANTASTIC, like at my mother's kitchen :-). So, before leaving Warsaw I simply had to revisit Pierogarnia haha. Next time I'll buy some dumplings take away, 3 portions to get the 4th for free :-).

I also had "barszcz czerwony" (borscht) served in a countryside clay mug (4.50 zl). This beetroot soup is the local culinary heritage of many Eastern and Central European nations. I tried their hot beer; yes, hot one! with raspberry syrup or honey. It was quite good but I tried better ones (10 zl, 0.5 l).

• Beer Tasting

Kmicic Restauraja - 3rd Visit: Great Local Food

by al_mary Updated Dec 8, 2006

This was a great little restaurant we found on
    a side street, just off the square in Old Town.

This was our third visit to the restaurant, as
    we enjoyed every meal we had there.

Mary Had:
    White borsch w/ boiled egg
    Robbers Cake - potato & meat in like a bread
    type of pastery .... excellent Mary said
    Coke

Guess what .... ha ha
    Chicken soup w/ homemade noodles
    Grilled kielbasa & french fries
    beer

The last picture is Al with our favorite waitress.
    She waited on us all three times we were there,
    was very pleasant and helpful. She spoke broken
    english, but we had no problem in communicating.

Oh yes ............ her husband was the cook

Kmicic Restauraja - 1st Visit #1: Great Local Food

by al_mary Updated Dec 8, 2006

This was a great little restaurant we found on
    a side street, just off the square in Old Town.

Favorite Dish: We stopped in for lunch (our 1st visit of three here)

Mary Had:
    Chicken soup with homemade noodles
    Boilded beef and potatos / soda

Al Had:
    Fried sausage (kielbasa) with french fries
    5.1L beer (Lech)

Pod Herbami #1 1st Visit: Great Local Food

by al_mary Updated Nov 25, 2006

Great little restaurant to have either lunch
    or dinner in. This was our first visit there, and
    the food was great.

Favorite Dish: Mary Had:
    Pork chop filet
    Polish style potatos
    (see picture)
    soda

Al Had:
    Turkey with pinapple and cranberries
    Polish style potatos
    (see picture)
    Zywiec beer

Kmicic Restauraja - 2nd Visit: Great Local Food

by al_mary Written Nov 25, 2006

The food here was excellent, so we made a
    second visit for dinner one evening.

Truth is, Al was getting hooked on their
    great kielbasa ....

Favorite Dish: Mary Had:
    Roasted duck with apples
    Fried potatos and a soda

Al Had:
    Kielbasa Z Grilla (grilled sausage)
    French fries