New Town, Warsaw
Nowe Miasto, the New Town is not so new , as it began its developent called New Warsaw in the fourteenth century and it was not integrated in Warsaw until the late eighteenth century
Upon entering the New Town from the Old Town, struck by the tranquility in this area and the beauty of its squares , palaces and streets
Nowe Miasto , la Ciudad Nueva , no lo es tanto pues se comenzó a urbanizar, llamándose Nueva Varsovia , en el siglo XIV y no se integró en Varsovia hasta finales del Siglo XVIII
Al entrar en la Ciudad Nueva , desde la Ciudad Antigua , llama la atención la tranquilidad que se respira en esta zona en sus plazas y entre sus palacios y calles
Although most of central Warsaw was destroyed during the war, especially the Warsaw Uprising and the German destruction afterwards, still many pre-WWII buildings survive in Warsaw. Many of them were just basically restored to make use of them right after the war. Lack of interest and lack of funds in the communist era have left many of these buildings untouched since then. Therefore, you still may find neglected buildings, especially in side streets. However, Warsaw is rapidly changing its face since the beginning of the 1990s, probably faster than any other city in Poland. Therefore, that may mean the end to many of the neglected buildings. It is your chance now to stroll through Warsaw's streets and admire them before they will be gone.
Let me list top 5 things to do in the New Town (Nowe Miasto) partly described in details in seperate tips:
1. Walk from the Barbican northwards Freta Street. Look at rows of carefully restored after WWII tenement houses, visit Maria Sklodowska-Curie Museum, Dominican St. Hyacinth's Church and Church of the Holy Spirit (Paulite church), look at the smallest Warsaw house :-).
2. If you are very hungry in the beginning turn left from the Barbican to 25, Podwale Street to try the world's largest portions of Polish food and Polish beer in 1-litre mugs in Piwna Kompania restaurant or go there in the evening to meet or make friends and enjoy music live (reservation recommended).
3. If you are on short budget or just want to try the cheapest Polish food ordered (but luckily not cooked) in... past communist style, go to so-called milk-bark, Bar Pod Barbakanem (Ul. Mostowa 27/29). The option (a bit more expensive though) is having a cup of excellent caffee with Polish homemade cake in "Pozeganie z Afryka" store (Ul. Freta 4/6).
4. If it's Thursday, Friday or Saturday evening (8 pm) go to hear fantastic Polish musicians, meet or make friends and try Polish beer in charming cellar of U Pana Michala restaurant (reservation recommended).
5. Walk Freta Street to the New Town Market Square (Rynek Nowego Miasta) and visit St. Casimir church there as well as nearby tiny St. Benon Church (Piesza 1), Church of St. Francis Seraphic (Zakroczymska 1).
Well, keep in mind that there are many more things to do in the New Town. Follow the links below, please. If you are in walking mood walk from Freta St. eastwards Swietojerska Street to reach Krasinski Square with impressive Warsaw Uprising Monument and Krasinski Palace.
Although quite naturally most visitors are drawn to the old town section of Warsaw, the new town section is equally as interesting and not nearly as new as the name implies. The In Your Pocket Guide has an interesting walking tour of the new town that starts just north of the Barbican and if you finish it you'll end up wandering around like us trying to figure out just which street the statue of the bear is on. And you'll want to take a bus back to the old town.
This is one of the oldest churches in Warsaw. It dates to the early 15th century and is built in the Gothic style. The church was founded by Anna, Duchess of Mazovia. It has been remodelled, was destroyed in the Warsaw Uprising of 1944, and rebuilt in 1950. The belfry dating from the 16 century has been retained.
The church ia alleged to have been built on the site of a pagan place of worship.
It is only open during mass.
In the courtyard are statues, and outside the entrance on the street a plaque about the uprising.
Warsaw's New Town is a once independent neighbourhood (with its own Town Hall and church) dating back from the 15th century. It lies behind the Barbican city gate and is connected with the Old Town by the pretty street Ulica Freta. The New Town features many colourful houses, several important churches (Church of the Holy Spirit, Church of St. Francis, Church of St. Kazimir, Visitation Church), the scenic New Town market square (Rymek Nowego Miasta), the Sapieha Palace and a choice of good restaurants and cafe´s. Like the rest of Warsaw the New Town was completely destroyed in WW2 and then rebuilt.
The New Town is a lot more sedate than the Old Town - wider streets, less of a commercial hub and considerably more 'genteel'. One of the most elegant of streets is ul Freta - ornate facades of varying hues, decoration, all beautifully restored post-war.
The New Town was founded at the end of the 14th century - so not so new! It was inhabited mainly by people of a lower social standing and so, as such, the buldings were simpler and there were no fortifications like those around the (more prosperous) Old Town.
Just outside and to the left of the Bariban is the CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT (Kosciol Sw Ducha) - destroyed in the war and reconstructed!Then there's ST HYACINTHUS' CHURCH (Kosciol Sw Jacka) whichi s the largest in the area.
The house at ul Freta 16 was the family home of Marie Curie (discoverer of radium and polonium and double winner of the Nobel Prize, for physics in 1903. The MUSEUM OF MARIA SKLOWOWSKA CURIE has an exhibition on her life, born here in 1867 but then spent her adult life in France. Open Tuesday - Saturday 10am - 4pm.
Continue along ul Freta and you'll come to the NEW TOWN SQUARE (Rynek Nowego Miasta). The town hall was pulled down in the 19th century and a cast-iron well now marks its spot. At the eastern side of the square, laid out on the plan of a Greek cross, is the CHURCH OF THE NUNS OF THE HOLY SACREMENT. During the 1944 uprising the church was used as a hospital. It was bombed and several hundred people died.
There is also the CHURCH OF THE VISITATION OF THE VIRGIN MARY (Kosciol Nawiedzenia NMP), the FRANCISCAN CHURCH (Kosciol Franciszkanow) and the SAPIEHA PALACE (Palac Sapiehow).
The New Town, Market Square was established in 1408 with its own separate status from the Old Town. Originally it was rectangular with a town-hall that was built in 1680 and it was pulled down in 1818. The design of the present market square was started in 1949, after it was badly damaged during WW2. The construction was done in several stages between 1952 and 1957 and was made of stylized buildings with pseudo-antique facades and is now an irregular Triangle. The Market Square is decorated with an iron cast well from the second half of the XIX century and was placed here in 1958. The Square has less places to drink than the Old Town Square but one of them has those outdoor covered seats that you can move backwards and forwards, and watch the world slowly go by.
Nowe Miasto or New Town is a pleasant place to stroll around. The streets and pavement cafes were quieter here than in the Old Town. Freta Street the main hub runs the length of the New Town with its many cafes, restaurants, antique shops and opulent houses. Wandering around we saw a lovely leafy little street complete with a tiny white church and colourful houses with pretty red roofs. The many town houses here are quite large and richly decorated, the one I liked best is in photo 3 and depicts the Warsaw legend of the fishermen catching the mermaid in their nets in the Wisla River. Again like the old town the new town was rebuilt with great dedication. Looking at Nowe Miasto I found it hard to believe anything ever happened there.
The New Town Market Square was established before 1408 .Originally it was rectangular and there was the town-hall on it (built in 1680, pulled down in 1818). The comprehensive design of the market square was prepared, strating in 1949, by Mieczys³aw Kuzma. The construction was done in stages (1952 - 1957). The house at the corner of Freta Street and the Market Square was designed in accordance with a painting of Bernardo Bellotto, called Canaletto. The New Town Market Square is decorated with an iron cast well from the second half of the XIX century, placed here in 1958.
At first, built out of wood along with a town hospital in the 14th century. Destroyed during the Swedish invasion.
The new Baroque-style building was raised in 1707-1717 to J.Piola and J.Belotti design. One of the Rectors of the monastery was Father A. Kordecki, defender of Czestochowa. The porch and the stairs added in 1845, to the design by Kleopfas Konopka. The church was damaged in 1944, later it was rebuilt togethet with the classicist kiosk from the turn of XVIII and XIX century.
The New Town Market Square was established before 1408 for the Town New of Warsaw then founded. Originally it was rectangular and there was the town-hall on it (built in 1680, pulled down in 1818). Today its outplanning and architectural arrangement consists of the housing estate called “ZOR Nowe Miasto”.
The comprehensive design of the market square was prepared, strating in 1949, by Mieczysław Kuzma, in consultation with Wacław Podlewski and Jan Zachwatowicz, and in cooperation with Stanisław Brukalski as well as Barbara Andrzejewska. The construction was done in stages (1952 - 1957). The new housing estate, made of stylized buildings with pseudo-antique facades, was created on the preserved network of old streets. The colours of the elevations as well as the murals were designed by: Zofia Artymowska, Roman Artymowski, Zofia Kowalska, Jacek Sempolinski, Hanna Zulawska and other artists. The house at the corner of Freta Street and the Market Square was designed in accordance with a painting of Bernardo Bellotto, called Canaletto. The New Town Market Square is decorated with an iron cast well from the second half of the XIX century, placed here in 1958.
It might have been designed by Giovanni Battista of Trevano, and constructed by Jan Włoch. Destroyed in 1944, rebuilt in 1947 - 1959 to the design by Halina Kosmólska in the style of early Baroque. The chapel of Kotowski family constructed in 1691 - 1694 survived (design by Tylman van Gameren, construcion by Józef Szymon Belotti), restored after the War.
The present building is a reconstruction of 1949 - 1955, to th edesign by Maria Zachwatowiczowa, according to the measurements of 1925 and 1933. The original church came from 1688 - 1692 and was designed by Tylman van Gameren.
It was one of the most outstanding examples of sacral architecture in the XVII century. In 1944 it was destroyed. In the temple rebuilt after the War there is a pulpit, organs and a bell that come from the first half of the XVIII century, as well as the tombstone of Karolina Sobieska de Bouillion - a masterpiece of Wawrzyniec (Laurentio) Mattiella (made in 1746). The remaining furnishing is new, designed in 1967 - 1968 by Michaela Walicka - a nun architect. The statue of Klemens Dworzak comes from 1938.