Safety Tips in Warsaw

teletaxi.pl
    by NashRob

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Warsaw

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Watch for Polish cherry and do enjoy! :-)

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

While you are in great, amusing company watch for Polish hard drinks. They are often inexpensive and addictive. We, a bunch of 24 VT-ers in Piwna Kompania restaurant, gave a small gift from the restaurant: one small glass of delicious Polish cherry (Cherry Cordial, "wisniowka" in Polish) per each VT-head. Well, sweet midnight liquid warmed our bodies and encouraged us to order next glasses (10 zl/2.6 euros per each minus 10%)... one by one...

I can only tell you what MAY happen then. Do you want the whole list? Well, just top 5 in possibly chronological order:
    1. you may agree to get merry unknown woman :-)
    2. you may take artistic pictures (open the next picture, please, to see what I mean)
    3. you may forget your hotel room number and a strange, foreign name of your VT-friend for whom the room was registered
    4. you may not be able to open room door and thus put your body on a 5-star hotel corridor (well, hotel security knows how to make your sleep better, 5-star guys :-)
    5. you may wrongly think the next morning that you put your body in "wrong" bed :-)

Luckily you may forget points 1-5 by the next morning :-). Keep smiling and do enjoy. Cheers :-))). One more "wisniowka", please!

WOW! THANK YOU FOR THAT GIFT :-) ARTISTIC AFTER-CHERRY PICTURE
    • Luxury Travel

Exclusively in Polish

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

May I complain a bit, please?

Well, the city centre and the old town is quite well signed by new signs put for more and more numerous visitors. They had to spend quite a lot of money for them but... the guy (I think, it's a guy, women are more thorough, right?) from the City Palace (common name of Warsaw city government, guess why? :-) responsible for these signs had to love his power and Polish language a lot. He himself chose what those ignorant visitors who couldn't speak Polish should visit and what shouldn't. Look at the example direction signs in my pictures.

I can understand that there is no English translation of directions to the Public Prosecutor Office (Districtional and Apeal; brrr... I wouldn't like to be interrogated there) or to the Ministry of Health and Social Care (although it's unique backwater: the worst Polish ministry which works like 20 years ago = in Soviet style, a must see :-) but why there is no translation of directions to a monument to Adam Mickiewicz and to the military church as well as to the main post office (Poczta Glowna)? Are they banned? Re-do it again, guy. But this time pay for it from your personal savings, please, OK?

I have to e-mail my complaint to him... in Polish. Just in case you would like to join me in your language... the e-mail below, please :-).

POLISH-ENGLISH-POLISH DIRECTION SIGN EXCLUSIVELY IN POLISH :-(

Drastic scenes

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

There are some drastic scenes in pictures and movies displayed in Warsaw Uprising Museum. However they are always marked by red bilinqual warning sign "Attention! Drastic scenes" kids can't see them. The video-screens showing drastic scenes (execustions, victims' bodies etc.) are hidden in stone structures like on my pictures.

The museum is child friendly. There is the Little Insurgent Room designed for children where you can leave your kid under care of young, nice, trained and English speaking staff. It's right to the entrance, opposite to museum store (follow the link below, please).

DRASTIC VIDEO TO WATCH INSIDE THIS STRUCTIRE WARNING! DRASTIC SCENES! THE LITTLE INSURGENT ROOM IN UPRISING MUSEUM IN THE LITTLE INSURGENT ROOM
    • Museum Visits

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Did Someone Say Rain?

by Roadquill Written Feb 19, 2011

Talk about a surprise downpour, and this was in late May. The sky's opened, and down came the rain in bucketfulls. The rain drops pounded off the pavement. Of course, I was without raingear, only my cotton floppy hat and a t shirt. At least it was not cold, but in the 5 minutes it took me to run to my hotel I was absolutely soaked.

• Photography

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

arriving at the airport

by uglyscot Updated May 6, 2008

We arrived from Paris at Frederick Chopin airport, Terminal , and were directed to one of the 5 carousels in Terminal 2 to collect our luggage. The luggage arrived very quickly. However one piece was missing. We had to return to Terminal 1 to report its loss- description , contents, luggage label with number, flight details, address in Poland, home address, telephone number and name.
    We were told it would probably arrive on the evening flight. However, we eventually recieved it 6 days later, just before we left Warsaw.

• Business Travel

• evaanna's Profile Photo

Trick or treat the Polish way

by evaanna Updated Apr 30, 2008

When you park your car in Warsaw you may sometimes be approached by a 'helpful' man, or even just a boy of twelve or so, who will offer to look after the car for you while you go shopping or sightseeing. The sum that he demands for it is usually small but there is a hitch. If you refuse, you may, on coming back, find your car badly scratched with a nail. I have come across this in the centre in Aleje Jerozolimskie, opposite the Palace of Culture, but there may be more such places. Actually, this ugly practice can be met in other Polish towns as well but Warsaw is the most notorious for it.
    Update: It was only a week ago that we encountered this again, and again in Aleje Jerozolimskie, when we parked there to go to the restaurant Kredens. It was Sunday and there was plenty of parking space but an emaciated man, probably a drunk or a drug addict, pretended to secure a place for us. When we got out, he stood there and waited, saying nothing but we already knew what it was all about and gave him a coin. A woman, perhaps his wife or girlfriend, was carrying on the same business nearby.
    It seems that everybody knows about it by now, except the police.

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo

Winter Weather

by MichaelFalk1969 Written Jan 4, 2008

We wanted to go to Warsaw in winter, but though it can be romantic to walk through the snow in Lazienki Park, it can get REALLY cold there in January. My advice: Pack your warmest clothing, and then pack some more (or visit in summer).

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo

Main railway station

by ZiOOlek Written Oct 26, 2007

There are many homeless and drunk people in the main railway station - Warszawa Centralna. The tunnels underground the buiding are not nice epecially becasue the smell is terrible and maybe homeless people stands near the offices where you can buy tickets and aks to give money. Better say nothing to them, just ignore!

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

If you fly from terminal 1 early...

by marielexoteria Written Oct 1, 2007

...in the morning, be sure to be there on time. Our flight to Budapest (we were flying standby so we were trying all flights) was scheduled to depart at 7:40am and the check in counters were already full of people by 6:30am.

One thing we liked was that they have security checks for a couple of gates instead of one big security check for all the gates.

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

A city with two side

by smirnofforiginal Written Jun 9, 2007

Warsaw is a city of extremes - on the one hand you have sparklingly shiney designer shops, along clean, well maintained streets with expensive cars parking to allows the expensive and well dressed customers to go in and spend their money. On the other have you have the complete extreme - dirty, ill lit streets, lined with litter, sex shops and tramps.

We stayed in an expensive hotel but at night the downstairs bar area was riddled with Russian prostitutes. As a woman I felt rather threatened by them and vulnerable until my husband turned up with our 2 children - at which point I obviously ceased to be a "threat" to their "trade" and they became rather sweet, smiling, young girls...

We had absolutely no problems at all BUT I would not say that Warsaw is the safest city to walk around after nightfall and I would urge anybody doing so (save in the Old Town where there are many tourists - safety in numbers kind of thing!!!) to take due care and precaution.

• Women's Travel

• johngayton's Profile Photo

The Most Expensive Beer in Poland!!

by johngayton Written May 9, 2007

Having had to curtail my Polish visit at relatively short notice and the most reasonably priced flight out being an evening departure from Frederic Chopin I decided to spend the afternoon just hanging at the airport. Call me a bit strange if you like, but I kinda like just hanging around airports, railway stations etc. find a bar, use the internet connection, read a book, have a few beers, watch the world go by, whatever - and SMOKE!

Not so here at Frederic Chopin - yes there are bars, and a WiFi connection (though I couldn't figure out how to work it - or rather how to pay for it) and I did have a book to read. BUT THEN I FIND THAT THE WHOLE PLACE IS NON-SMOKING, not even in the bars, not even a little corner of one ;(

Then I noticed that the Courtyard by Marriot hotel across the road from the main departures entrance advertised WiFi access in its bar AND had ashtrays on the table - that's my afternoon sorted then and in I go :) Bar area is plush and comfortable, service excellent, good WiFi connection (tho' a tad on the expensive side) but the beer was 17 Zloty, SEVENTEEN!!! - needless to say I only had 4 - HA! At that price there was no way I was going to give them the benefit of a full-on John afternoon ;)!!

Time To Fly!
    • Beer Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Please don't add to this attrocious custom

by scottishvisitor Written Aug 19, 2006

I only took one picture of the graffitti which was evident on many buildings and streets as I don't like to be negative on most places I visit, I don't know but think it is painted over as soon as possible. We saw one act of Graffitti on a buildng which mentioned King's Cross in London. Warsaw took great pride in re building its past, please do not abuse their work by adding sensless and meaningless graffitti.

Grafitti

• Vincedem's Profile Photo

Easter in Poland!

by Vincedem Written May 12, 2006

Be aware that during the Easter weekend everything is closed (shops, bars, restaurants, clubs,...) and that there are not many people on the streets! When I was there in 2003 the city looked so empty and depressing!!! You have to keep in mind that Poland is very, very catholic and most people celebrate it with family and go to the church...

So Warsaw is deffinatelly worth a visit but stay away there during the Easter weekend, it´s worth a visit every other period of the year!!!

church in warsaw

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

When Russian or Putin's revenge comes :-)

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 21, 2006

We, a group of VT-ers, had a meeting in January 2006, during the coldest days in Warsaw for years. The temperature at night dropped down to even -27C (-16,6F), while it rose to some -15C (5F) at a daytime.

Many people were complaining about very slow traffic on white streets and risky driving on ice in the first day of extreme coldness before the snow and ice was removed from main streets. Well, I can't stop laughing :-). Many Poles including my taxi drivers in Warsaw were joking that this extreme winter cold attack which, indeed, came from Siberia was in fact a Russian or rather Putin's (Russian president's) revenge for massive Polish support for the Orange Revolution in Ukraine a year before :-).

Never mind... Although the Orange Revolution happens only once but... what about, say, "the Yellow Revotion" in Belarus probably soon... Well, keep in mind that the very cold weather may come from Siberia again. No worries, it happens once a, say, 30 - 40 years; usually it's not colder than -10C at night and -5C at daytime in winter. Follow the link below to check 10-day weather forecast for Warsaw and keep warm. Look at poor and... happy face of Toyin in my pictures. I guess, he survived the lowest temperature ever, like me :-).

It was fascinating for me to see for the first time almost empty and covered by snow normally the very busy Market Square (Rynek) and Castle Square in Warsaw where I always had seen crowds of visitors and locals. It had to look a bit similar on the first freezing days of the Martial Law against the Solidarity movement in December 1981 when people were afraid to walk on streets full of troops, tanks and military vehicles. But the people didn't smile that time.

FREEZING AND HAPPY TOYIN :-) TOYIN AGAIN :-) THE MARKET SQUARE AT ABOUT 10 AM THE CASTLE SQUARE AT ABOUT 10 AM MAIN STREET - NOWY SWIAT - AT ABOUT 10 AM

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Flat city but not sidewalks

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 15, 2006

Luckily for walking fans Warsaw is completely flat city, except "Skarpa Wislana" between the Old Town and the Vistula River.

Well, the city is flat but its sidewalks and roads are mostly not, listen to me ladies, fans of high-heeled shoes. Most streets of the Old Town as well as its Market Square are cobbled, sidewalks as well. The nothern part of the Royal Way (Krakowskie Przedmiescie and Nowy Swiat Street) has been already paved with flat asphalt sidewalks but watch your steps in other parts of the city.not to twist your ankle.

Just in case... do not continue to walk. Call or ask someone to call for a taxi with an English speaking driver. Go first to the nearest drugstore. Buy analgetics in pills and creams, elasticated bandage to wind your ankle (do it at place) or ask about more expensive (and comfortable) other devices. Add crunches (2) which cost some 80 zl (21 euros). They are equipped with funny red in the back and white in front reflectors you to keep walking at night and your disability be well seen by other, more lucky, people :-).

Go to a doctor at casualty/emergency room, be patient waiting in a long line, think positive, keep smiling and... wait. If you show the European Health Insurance Card or you are a citizen of a few other contries (like Ukraine, China) you don't pay anything. Otherwise expect to pay up to 100 zl (26 euros) for an X-ray, doctor's consultation and a cast. Take a receive in case you are entitled to refund from your insurance company.

Be sure that your ankle will hurt you more after a few hours... So, 1 day in a hotel room (option: hotel bar) and then... keep smiling, take a taxi at least to Warszaw Uprising Museum (not much walking and handicapped friendly museum :-) and visit Warsaw bars/pubs and restaurants. Good luck :-).

P.S. Once I was tempoarily handicapped in Lisbon, Portugal :-(. It started in Marbella, Spain...

COBBLED SIDEWALK AND STREET IN THE OLD TOWN

Latest: Mar 23, 2010
Start Felix Hotel
Latest: Jun 24, 2014

Instant Answers: Warsaw

Comments

Warsaw Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Warsaw locals.
Map of Warsaw