The Franciscan monastery and monastery church of Holy Trinity arose from the foundation of Władysław I Opolczyk. The presbytery of the church of Holy Trinity and the chapel of Saint Anna from the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries are the oldest pieces of architecture in Opole. On the exterior the church combines Gothic elements and a baroque roof and towers. The interior has a nave and two aisles.
A peculiar link between the church and the monastery is the chapel of Saint Anna, built about 1309, also called "the pearl of Silesian architecture". Below the church - apart from the burial crypt with the remains of eight princes and five princesses is a 14th century polychrome of the Crucifixion. It is the oldest painting in Upper Silesia. In front of the main entrance to the monastery is the late baroque figure of Saint Jan Nepomucen. The monastery cloister contains late Gothic crystal vaulting.
A Gothic church with beautiful star vaulting from the mid 16th century. According to the bequest, the first church was built during the time of Bolesław Chrobry. In 1024 the church received the relic of the Holy Cross from Saint Emeryk, the Hungarian prince. In 1232 the church was raised to the rank of collegiate church, in 1945 - suffragan cathedral, from 1972 a cathedral.
The last rebuilding in the years 1897-1902 resulted in the building of two neo-Gothic towers, 73 metres in height. Inside among other items of interest are the font with the coat of arms of Opole from the 15th century, the famous miraculous image of the Mother of God of Opole - patron of the diocese and Opole, and the chapel with mausoleum and grave cover of Jan II Dobry, last prince of the family of Opole Piasts.
The only remnant of the Piast Castle, which was demolished by the Germans in the years 1928-1930. This cylindrical building in the gothic style, situated in the original interior of the walls of the castle, was built about 1300 of stone (faced with brick) and on foundations of field stones of up to 6 m. deep. The tower is 35 m. in height and the lower part of its wall is 3 m. thick. Initially, one entered the tower from the upper storey of the castle by ladder and climbed higher by wooden stairs. The present lower entrance was made in the previous century. The crown of the tower alone has been changed several times, though it was always conical. Only in 1934 it was given its spire of today.
Whether you want to pick up some supplies or enjoy a spot of retail therapy, the 24 hour Tesco is the place to go in Opole. As well as being a Tesco supermarket, there are many other smaller shops selling clothes, toys, electronic goods, in fact everything you could need.