Gdansk Restaurants

by MalenaN

Most Recent Restaurants in Gdansk

• Kubicki: Delicious Polish cuisine

by vikkou Written Jun 30, 2014

If you are visiting Gdansk take the opportunity eating in Kubicki. You'll be met by lovely live music, high level service and great culinary creativity of the chef. Polish national cuisine is very tasty that shows meals at Kubicki which are made with great taste and love. We’ve recently stayed in Gdansk and treated ourselves with the dinner in this restaurant. Highly recommended!

Zagroda Rybacka: Fish and Zapiekanki

by briantravelman Updated Feb 11, 2014

Zagroda Rybacka

This is the best restaurant I know in Brzezno. Whenever I walked by, the neighboring restaurants would be empty, but this one would always be full.
    The first two times I came, I had beer and zapiekanki. They cooked them different both times. The first time it was raining, so I was the only one in the restaurant. They took their time to make it, and it was really soft. I moped it down in 2 minutes. The second time I went, the baguettes were fat and hard, so it was hard to eat, but it was okay. The rest of the time, we just went there for fish. We usually ordered cod and halibut. At first it was delicious, and cut really nice. Then they started getting too many customers, so they kind of half assed it. They just cut it into a huge triangle, and it was kind of dry, but we ate it anyways. I loved the garlic seasoning on the cod.
    The staff ripped us off a few times though, and they are only nice to you if you order a lot, if you only order a little bit, they are grumpy.
    Anyways, one time, we paid the waiter, and he never gave us our change, 12 zloty, but we didn't make a big deal about it, and just left. The second time, we had to ask for our change. I heard some other customers also asking for their change. The waiters will try to keep it if they can, so try to pay with exact change.
    The third time, we were expecting to pay 20 zloty, but ended up paying 75. When we asked the waiter, "Why so much?", he said they charge per 100 grams. Ridiculous. He said it's written on the menu, and we are not the first customers to complain about this. We later took a closer look at the menu, and saw that they do in fact charge per 100 grams, but it's written so small, that you don't even see it.
    What was most ridiculous, is when I was told I have to pay 2 zloty to get ketchup on my fries. 2 zloty is only 64 cents, so I didn't make a big deal about it, I just thought it was ridiculous. I guess the locals are used to all these things, but being from America, I found it really strange, and rude.
    After we got ripped off the first time, we said we would never come back, but it was the only place in Brzezno to get some decent fish, so we came back a few more times. I can't really complain about the food, it's mostly the staff I had a problem with. Welcome to Poland.

The food here is a bit expensive, even when you convert the price to U.S. dollars. It's the most expensive restaurant I went to in Gdansk. It's definitely more expensive, than the other restaurants in the area, but at least are paying for a large portion, and good quality food.

Favorite Dish: Zapiekanka, Cod, Halibut, Tyskie

• briantravelman's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Taormia: Best pizza place, if the right staff is working.

by briantravelman Updated Feb 11, 2014

Pizzeria Taormia

The restaraunt is located in a rundown building in Nowy Port. These buildings date from before World War 1, and haven't been renovated, so the building is ugly and rundown, but the interior is okay, but weird. I don't know who designed this place. One half of the restaraunt looks like a cheap Eastern European local, and the other half looks like a 4 star restaraunt. I'd deffinately lose the pillows and cushins on the window sill.
    The place is called Pizzeria Taormia, but they serve more than just pizza. This is one of the few places in the city that still serves authentic Polish food. That said, let's start with the menu. This menu is ridiculous. I lost it somewhere, so I don't remember exactly how many items were on it, but it was somewhere around 170, over 50 of which were pizzas. I don't know about you, but I'm not gonna read 170 menu items. I bet people don't even order most of that stuff. They don't get many customers, so they spend more then they make.Their pizzas have some weird ingredients; peaches, lobster, crab, shrimp, pickles, ground meat, eggs, and sour cream, just to name a few. Seriously. Who puts that on a pizza? The only pizzas I had there was the pepperoni, which comes with salami, peppers, onions, and mushrooms, but doesn't actually have any peppeoni on it, even though the menu says it does. The other one I had was Candadina, with ham and mushrooms, which wasn't that great. Didn't have much flavor to it.
    The first 2 times I ate there, the owners were there. The girl taking my order was really nice, and I think she kind of liked me ;), and the pizza was delicious. I went back there 3 more times, and I guess the owners went on vacation, because there was a completely different staff. The girls taking my order were rude and grumpy, and looked like they didn't want to be there. Anyways, the food was terrible. The first time the pizza I ordered just wasn't that good, the second time it was undercooked, and I had stomach problems the next day, but I forgave them, since the girl accidently charged me 10 zloty instead of 15. I thought, everyone can make a mistake once, so I decided to give them one more chance, and I went back for my birthday, and once again ordered the pepperoni. Once again, I was greeted by a grumpy girl, and instead of watching my pizza, the girl working the kitchen kept coming out and talking to the girl at the register. Clearly, there was either no one in charge, or they just didn't care. I could smell something burning, and I thought to myself, "I hope that isn't my pizza". But it was. I ate it anyways, and ended up paying for it. Not only was it hard as a rock, it was so spicy, that I had to rinse my mouth for 5 minutes. I had stomach problems for 2 days this time. I avoided that place the rest of my stay. I would deffinately not order any of the seafood pizzas here. So much for the best pizza place in town.

Too bad there is no "somewhat satisfied" option on here, otherwise I would give it that.

Favorite Dish: Pepperoni Pizza.

Retro Cafe

by MalenaN Written Jan 8, 2014

Retro Cafe

I had seen an advertisement in the Gdansk in your pocket-guide for Retro Café, where the cakes looked yummy and it said they were homemade. The café is situated near the hostel where I stayed and I decided to go there and check it out.

That day they recommended the cheesecake with pumpkin taste so I ordered that and a coffee. The coffee was good and the armchair I sat in was very comfortable, but the cheesecake was a disappointment. The texture was like a wet sponge cake and it tasted of cinnamon and gingerbread. Coffee and cheesecake was 20.50 zloty (January 2014).
    One evening I came back and had a hot chocolate with whipped cream. The chocolate was thick and the cream was a bit sweet. It was 12.50 zloty.

Retro Cafe is a cafe with a nice atmosphere. There is a big choice of coffees and cakes, smoothies and teas.

Costa by Coffee Heaven

by MalenaN Updated Jan 6, 2014

One evening I needed something quick to eat and bought a chicken and mushroom toast, and to drink I bought a fruit drink with mango taste. It was 20.80 zloty (January 2014). The mushroom cream in the toast tasted good.

Another time I bought a croissant to take away. It was 5.50 zloty.

Grycan Ice Cream Parlour

by MalenaN Updated Jan 6, 2014

Grycan has ice cream parlours in many polish cities. They do not only sell ice cream but also cakes, fruit cocktails and coffees. Everything looked very yummy, but I only ordered a hot chocolate with whipped cream. It was 9.90 zloty (January 2014).

I was glad that the cream was not sweet (as I had found it to be in other places in Poland), so I started with eating much of the cream. The chocolate was rich and rather strong. I think it would have been good to mix it with the cream. Anyway it was good!

Grycan is open 10 - 20 every day.

My Kebab: Best Turkish food in town

by briantravelman Written Aug 22, 2013

My Kebab

This is the only place I know in Gdansk where you can get some real Turkish food. The restaraunt is owned by a Turk, and the 2 cooks there are Turkish as well. I used to go to this place at least once or twice a week to have their durums. Those things are the best, and I swear, they get bigger every time. Twice I had the My Box, which is also good. The cooks are really friendly, and even gave me a free soda and yogurt once, and even offered me a smoke from their hookah. lol There have only been 3 occassions where the food has been bad. Twice it was cold, and once the meat was dry, but what's more important is the other 20 or so times when it has been delicious. The cooks don't speak English though, so when they ask you what kind of meat and sauce you want, if you don't speak Polish or Turkish, you won't know how to reply, so just say, "Nie rozumiem, Polskiego", or get someone off the street to translate for you. The only thing I didn't like about this place is that they didn't have real Doner Kebabs. They only had a Doner Box, and the European version kebabs, but I heard people complimenting them, and saying they are "real Turkish kebabs". The menu is actually really small, there are only 6 items, and they're all pretty much the same. The most expensive item there is 17 zloty, which is only 5.30 USD, so it's a really cheap place to get a quick bite to eat. Oh, and grab some napkins from inside, because the tables rarely have any.

They are open from 10-midnight, though I went there at 7 once, and it was closed. It's usually empty during the day, but gets crowded in the evening.

Favorite Dish: Durum, with mixed meat and mixed sauce. I recommend the durm with mixed meat and mixed sauce, so you can really taste all the flavors of Turkish cooking. Sometimes they only have one type of meat though, so you have to take what they have, but it's all good.

• piosku67's Profile Photo

"Tekstylia" Cafe: Nice place

by piosku67 Written Jul 26, 2012

I have nice memories from "Tekstylia" , which is more a cafe than a restaurant. Although, you can dine there. It's a spacious place, with an interesting interior in a style of prior fabric store. Those wooden boxes on the left are temporary ones. The street is being prepared for the Dominican Fair, which is famous for different street stalls. It seems to be a kind of hot spot. It is situated on the corner of Szeroka and Pańska Streets in a tenement house with funky creatures pinned to its façade.

Favorite Dish: Desserts and drinks

Pizzeria Restaurant Napoli

Pizzeria Restaurant Napoli

The Pizzeria Restaurant Napoli serves all sorts of Italian dishes. Their tasty Pizzas come in uncountable varieties and two sizes. The restaurant is on two levels and includes an outside area on busy ul. Dluga.

Prices are comparably cheap, therefore a Pizza and a drink will set you back less than 30 Zloty (7,5 Euro, 2005).

Bar Mleczny Neptun

Bar Mleczeny Neptun sign

In the communist era milk bars (Bar Mleczny) provided working class people with subsidised food. The tradition of these places seems to continue as you still find milk bars in most Polish towns.

One of these is the Bar Mleczny Neptun. All available meals can be seen at the counter. You only need to point to your favourite dish and pay at the cashier. The prices are still subsidised and unbeatably low.

As the milk bars usually close in the early evening, they are only an option for lunch or early dinner.

Pierogarnia U Dzika

Pierogarnia U Dzika

Pierogarnia U Dzika is a Polish restaurant which specialises in Pierogi. Pierogi are traditional Polish filled dumplings. The restaurant also serves other Polish dishes including chicken, tasty soups and of course fresh fish.

On warm days you can enjoy your meal on the outdoor terrace while watching tourists passing by. A meal including a drink will cost you about 35 Zloty (8 Euro, 2005).

• bonio's Profile Photo

primitive: That's it's name not a criticism!

by bonio Written Aug 5, 2011

Well a sort of cave man themed restaurant but not OTT or in a very silly way! Good covered terrace on a rainy day and a pretty good lunch here for us with large, cave man sized portions, all very tasty, enjoyed our stop here.

Swojski Smak: A treat!

by bonio Written Aug 4, 2011

Good place for an evening meal, certainly enjoyed ours here.
    Large menu to choose from, tasty pork steak for me and a large salad for the vegetarian, both nicely done, Mrs B surprisingly found room for a dessert as well, that was her treat for the tour!!
    Very good.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Stara Oliwa: Local delicacies!

by bonio Written Aug 4, 2011

Lovely restaurant next to Oliwa Park and a welcome refuge from a downpour!
    Both went for very good pierogi already a favourite and treated to the a dish of bread and lard, a first for us, and not as bad as I expected - pretty tasty and reminded me of Bread and dripping from my childhood!
    Friendly and comfortable and a terrace outside if the weather is good.
    Enjoyed our visit.

Masala: Cracking curry!

by bonio Written Jul 23, 2011

Only able to click on one category here, and Indian for us but Chinese and Thai on the menu as well.
    Dopiaza for me and as good as I've had anywhere really, very tasty and good quality with equally good potato and pepper masala for the vegetarian.
    A good place to visit for your curry fix! enjoyed

Instant Answers: Gdansk

Comments

Gdansk Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gdansk restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gdansk sightseeing.