Gdansk Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Gdansk

Zagroda Rybacka: Fish and Zapiekanki

by briantravelman Updated Feb 11, 2014

Zagroda Rybacka

This is the best restaurant I know in Brzezno. Whenever I walked by, the neighboring restaurants would be empty, but this one would always be full.
    The first two times I came, I had beer and zapiekanki. They cooked them different both times. The first time it was raining, so I was the only one in the restaurant. They took their time to make it, and it was really soft. I moped it down in 2 minutes. The second time I went, the baguettes were fat and hard, so it was hard to eat, but it was okay. The rest of the time, we just went there for fish. We usually ordered cod and halibut. At first it was delicious, and cut really nice. Then they started getting too many customers, so they kind of half assed it. They just cut it into a huge triangle, and it was kind of dry, but we ate it anyways. I loved the garlic seasoning on the cod.
    The staff ripped us off a few times though, and they are only nice to you if you order a lot, if you only order a little bit, they are grumpy.
    Anyways, one time, we paid the waiter, and he never gave us our change, 12 zloty, but we didn't make a big deal about it, and just left. The second time, we had to ask for our change. I heard some other customers also asking for their change. The waiters will try to keep it if they can, so try to pay with exact change.
    The third time, we were expecting to pay 20 zloty, but ended up paying 75. When we asked the waiter, "Why so much?", he said they charge per 100 grams. Ridiculous. He said it's written on the menu, and we are not the first customers to complain about this. We later took a closer look at the menu, and saw that they do in fact charge per 100 grams, but it's written so small, that you don't even see it.
    What was most ridiculous, is when I was told I have to pay 2 zloty to get ketchup on my fries. 2 zloty is only 64 cents, so I didn't make a big deal about it, I just thought it was ridiculous. I guess the locals are used to all these things, but being from America, I found it really strange, and rude.
    After we got ripped off the first time, we said we would never come back, but it was the only place in Brzezno to get some decent fish, so we came back a few more times. I can't really complain about the food, it's mostly the staff I had a problem with. Welcome to Poland.

The food here is a bit expensive, even when you convert the price to U.S. dollars. It's the most expensive restaurant I went to in Gdansk. It's definitely more expensive, than the other restaurants in the area, but at least are paying for a large portion, and good quality food.

Favorite Dish: Zapiekanka, Cod, Halibut, Tyskie

• briantravelman's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Taormia: Best pizza place, if the right staff is working.

by briantravelman Updated Feb 11, 2014

Pizzeria Taormia

The restaraunt is located in a rundown building in Nowy Port. These buildings date from before World War 1, and haven't been renovated, so the building is ugly and rundown, but the interior is okay, but weird. I don't know who designed this place. One half of the restaraunt looks like a cheap Eastern European local, and the other half looks like a 4 star restaraunt. I'd deffinately lose the pillows and cushins on the window sill.
    The place is called Pizzeria Taormia, but they serve more than just pizza. This is one of the few places in the city that still serves authentic Polish food. That said, let's start with the menu. This menu is ridiculous. I lost it somewhere, so I don't remember exactly how many items were on it, but it was somewhere around 170, over 50 of which were pizzas. I don't know about you, but I'm not gonna read 170 menu items. I bet people don't even order most of that stuff. They don't get many customers, so they spend more then they make.Their pizzas have some weird ingredients; peaches, lobster, crab, shrimp, pickles, ground meat, eggs, and sour cream, just to name a few. Seriously. Who puts that on a pizza? The only pizzas I had there was the pepperoni, which comes with salami, peppers, onions, and mushrooms, but doesn't actually have any peppeoni on it, even though the menu says it does. The other one I had was Candadina, with ham and mushrooms, which wasn't that great. Didn't have much flavor to it.
    The first 2 times I ate there, the owners were there. The girl taking my order was really nice, and I think she kind of liked me ;), and the pizza was delicious. I went back there 3 more times, and I guess the owners went on vacation, because there was a completely different staff. The girls taking my order were rude and grumpy, and looked like they didn't want to be there. Anyways, the food was terrible. The first time the pizza I ordered just wasn't that good, the second time it was undercooked, and I had stomach problems the next day, but I forgave them, since the girl accidently charged me 10 zloty instead of 15. I thought, everyone can make a mistake once, so I decided to give them one more chance, and I went back for my birthday, and once again ordered the pepperoni. Once again, I was greeted by a grumpy girl, and instead of watching my pizza, the girl working the kitchen kept coming out and talking to the girl at the register. Clearly, there was either no one in charge, or they just didn't care. I could smell something burning, and I thought to myself, "I hope that isn't my pizza". But it was. I ate it anyways, and ended up paying for it. Not only was it hard as a rock, it was so spicy, that I had to rinse my mouth for 5 minutes. I had stomach problems for 2 days this time. I avoided that place the rest of my stay. I would deffinately not order any of the seafood pizzas here. So much for the best pizza place in town.

Too bad there is no "somewhat satisfied" option on here, otherwise I would give it that.

Favorite Dish: Pepperoni Pizza.

Retro Cafe

by MalenaN Written Jan 8, 2014

Retro Cafe

I had seen an advertisement in the Gdansk in your pocket-guide for Retro Café, where the cakes looked yummy and it said they were homemade. The café is situated near the hostel where I stayed and I decided to go there and check it out.

That day they recommended the cheesecake with pumpkin taste so I ordered that and a coffee. The coffee was good and the armchair I sat in was very comfortable, but the cheesecake was a disappointment. The texture was like a wet sponge cake and it tasted of cinnamon and gingerbread. Coffee and cheesecake was 20.50 zloty (January 2014).
    One evening I came back and had a hot chocolate with whipped cream. The chocolate was thick and the cream was a bit sweet. It was 12.50 zloty.

Retro Cafe is a cafe with a nice atmosphere. There is a big choice of coffees and cakes, smoothies and teas.

Costa by Coffee Heaven

by MalenaN Updated Jan 6, 2014

One evening I needed something quick to eat and bought a chicken and mushroom toast, and to drink I bought a fruit drink with mango taste. It was 20.80 zloty (January 2014). The mushroom cream in the toast tasted good.

Another time I bought a croissant to take away. It was 5.50 zloty.

Grycan Ice Cream Parlour

by MalenaN Updated Jan 6, 2014

Grycan has ice cream parlours in many polish cities. They do not only sell ice cream but also cakes, fruit cocktails and coffees. Everything looked very yummy, but I only ordered a hot chocolate with whipped cream. It was 9.90 zloty (January 2014).

I was glad that the cream was not sweet (as I had found it to be in other places in Poland), so I started with eating much of the cream. The chocolate was rich and rather strong. I think it would have been good to mix it with the cream. Anyway it was good!

Grycan is open 10 - 20 every day.

My Kebab: Best Turkish food in town

by briantravelman Written Aug 22, 2013

My Kebab

This is the only place I know in Gdansk where you can get some real Turkish food. The restaraunt is owned by a Turk, and the 2 cooks there are Turkish as well. I used to go to this place at least once or twice a week to have their durums. Those things are the best, and I swear, they get bigger every time. Twice I had the My Box, which is also good. The cooks are really friendly, and even gave me a free soda and yogurt once, and even offered me a smoke from their hookah. lol There have only been 3 occassions where the food has been bad. Twice it was cold, and once the meat was dry, but what's more important is the other 20 or so times when it has been delicious. The cooks don't speak English though, so when they ask you what kind of meat and sauce you want, if you don't speak Polish or Turkish, you won't know how to reply, so just say, "Nie rozumiem, Polskiego", or get someone off the street to translate for you. The only thing I didn't like about this place is that they didn't have real Doner Kebabs. They only had a Doner Box, and the European version kebabs, but I heard people complimenting them, and saying they are "real Turkish kebabs". The menu is actually really small, there are only 6 items, and they're all pretty much the same. The most expensive item there is 17 zloty, which is only 5.30 USD, so it's a really cheap place to get a quick bite to eat. Oh, and grab some napkins from inside, because the tables rarely have any.

They are open from 10-midnight, though I went there at 7 once, and it was closed. It's usually empty during the day, but gets crowded in the evening.

Favorite Dish: Durum, with mixed meat and mixed sauce. I recommend the durm with mixed meat and mixed sauce, so you can really taste all the flavors of Turkish cooking. Sometimes they only have one type of meat though, so you have to take what they have, but it's all good.

Pizza Sempre: Neopolitan Pizza in Poland

Vegetarian Pizza at Sempre Pizza

For my Last Supper in Poland (technically lunch, I guess) I stopped at Pizza Sempre on the main tourist drag. Decorated the way Disney would imagine an Italian pizzeria this restaurant is pretty small, though in good weather patrons can spill onto their outdoor patio for excellent people-watching. I really appreciated that they were able to take the ham off of the "zucchini" pizza and replace it with grilled eggplant. More vegetables! Yay! (The goat cheese and mozzarella weren't too shabby either...) Sure, this isn't the most authentic pizza place in the world, but they do an above-average job on their thin-crust pizzas, antipasti and desserts like tiramisu. I doubt there's a better pizza place in the city, so for Italian tourists, pizza-lovers, families with kids or anyone wanting a break from perogies this is a good stop.

Bioway: Better Vegetarian Fast Food

Bioway, Gdansk

Possibly furnished with furniture stolen from an Ikea cafeteria, Bioway restaurant is exactly what an Ikea cafeteria would be like if they didn't serve Swedish meatballs. They've got soups, salads and hot entrees like pastas and mock meat products served cafeteria-style by friendly staff. They also have a kids' menu, desserts and fun beverages like fresh juice and smoothies. Customers can also access a computer terminal in the restaurant if they need a quick email check. The location in Gdansk is very close to the train station and is a good place to grab a healthy meal before your train ride. Highly recommended over the lesser Green Way.

Jazz Club: Perfect Potato Pancakes

Potato Pancakes from Heaven

Vegetarians are probably best served by packing their own trail mix when they visit Malbork (an easy day, or half-day, trip from Gdansk), just in case. When lunch rolled around my tummy started grumbling I realized that pretty much my only vegetarian option was fries and a milkshake at the local McDonalds. However, since I'd already had that exact meal for breakfast (don't ask!) I couldn't bring myself to double up on Mickey D's. Instead I headed back to the train station in hopes of catching a train back to Gdansk... and learning the next one wouldn't depart for almost two hours.

I wasn't going to die of hunger in Malbork, no siree! If worse came to worse I would just get a lot of calories from beer, so I headed to a little cafe-bar on the road beside the train station. Jazz Club looked like a makeshift shack decorated with granny's undusted, rusting antiques but seemed to be a proper restaurant (people were eating!). I asked if they had anything vegetarian. The waitress looked very confused. She told me to sit down.

I sat for a pretty long time. I wasn't sure if I was going to get food. People were looking at me strangely- clearly they'd heard the rumors that an honest-to-goodness vegetarian was in their little town! I may have been in the newspaper the next day, just saying...

Finally, the above plate arrived. Oh. My. God. I've eaten a potato pancake before, and I've eaten fried potato concoctions that actually changed my life (see my Sighet Marmatiei tips!) but these were something else. Mashed potato cakes deep fried, topped with a little drizzle of cream... AND SPRINKLED WITH SUGAR. Potatoes with cream and sugar! Why had I never thought of this? Basically the three best foods ever, all combined into one dish! These were devoured in about ten seconds and I'm pretty sure I left a thousand-zloty tip because my life could only go downhill from these potato pancakes. Best restaurant-in-a-shack surprise ever!

The Mexican: Gringo, Oh No

Barf on a Plate at The Mexican in Sopot

The Mexican is located in Sopot rather than Gdansk, but as you might be there on a day trip I'm posting the information here.

I'm a glutton.

I'm also a glutton for punishment.

While I felt the pull of a fancy-looking Thai restaurant in resorty Sopot I had to go back to my (tenuous) Mexican roots and punish myself with a meal at The Mexican. I knew it wouldn't be good but I couldn't restrain myself. I wanted to know how bad cheap Mexican food in Poland would be. I was rewarded with one of the worst meals of my life (and a feeling of validation!). It was also the most expensive meal I ate in Poland, clocking in at 50 zloty (half of which I believe was due to my ill-advised margarita order).

Gross, gross, gross. If you want all the grease of Taco Bell but none of the flavour in a fly-infested environment with scantily-clad waitresses who have rolls of fat emerging from their miniscule costumes then The Mexican is the place for you. I had a vegetarian burrito which was full of questionable vegetables, topped with something that looked like- but definitely was not- guacamole, and served alongside a dill-flavored slaw. My margarita was about 75% water, 20% lime juice and 5% tequila.

I wouldn't be surprised if Poland declared war on Mexico just for inspiring this restaurant. I feel like Mexican narco-traffickers should be sentenced to a lifetime of eating here. I actually cut my tongue off after dining here as I was turned off food for like (okay, that last one is a lie).

AVOID.

• Horse Riding
    • Zoo
    • Bungy Jumping

Carte d'Or: Ice Cream Treats

Four Scoops at Carte d'Or, Gdansk

Carte d'Or isn't exactly a local, niche ice creamery. Rather, it's a huge international chain owned by Unilever and with ice cream shops around Europe. However, Carte d'Or and similar Eastern European chains hold a special place in my heart for their tiny little scoops of ice cream that allow me to try different flavours without feeling like a glutton. I'm a sucker for anything pistachio or coffee-flavored, and the Carte d'Or location on ul. Długa satisfied my nutty, caffeine-y ice cream cravings while also allowing me to escape from the rain (yeah, I eat ice cream in the rain!). Their selection is huge and unlike gelaterias in Italy where you have to buy a fancy, schmancy concoction to eat at a table, you can get one measly little scoop of plain vanilla ice cream and still enjoy it seated at a table here. Rest your feet and cool your tongue at Carte d'Or!

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Amsterdam Bar: A Taste of New York (or Montreal?)

Bagel Combo at Amsterdam Bar, Gdansk

I've mentioned that I was a bit ill when I was in Gdansk, and my overall gloominess was compounded by the cold, rainy August weather. During one afternoon downpour I just wanted a warm bowl of soup. Moments later I saw a sandwich board sign on the main tourist street for a place called Amsterdam Cafe, claiming to offer soups, salads and... BAGELS. Bagels are a carb-laden indulgence that I rarely allow myself back in Canada, much less in Poland. In other words, exactly what I needed!

I found myself in a relatively empty bar-style restaurant. There were a few other people who I thought were customers but who actually turned out to be either off-duty or half-assedly-working employees. Their menu had a few combinations that reminded me of a strip mall cafe in Canada- soups, salads, sandwiches and beers in all manner of combinations.

* Interlude: In Poland, "bagel" is spelled BAJGLE! *

Anyways, their online menu is only in Polish, but photographic evidence suggests that I had a combo with a sesame bagel, sun-dried tomato cream cheese, tomato soup (hidden under the bagel in the photo) and Greek salad. Note the three-dimensional serving platter in which objects are organized horizontally and vertically! This was also accompanied by a bizarre tea drink served with about four different components in little dishes for me to combine and pour hot water over.

Amsterdam Bar also has a big selection of imported bottled beers. I believe that there is often evening entertainment as well.

Green Way: Vegetarian Fast Food

Vegetarian Meal at Green Way, Gdansk

Although Green Way is one of Poland's most popular vegetarian restaurant chains I was unimpressed by my meal here. Vegetarian fast-food is made early in the day and kept warm in buffet-style heated cases. I chose a vegetarian "layer cake" that came accompanied with three salads. With an added (pre-made) fruit smoothie the total cost of my meal was 20 zloty. Overall th meal was a little bland and the ingredients incongruous- I wasn't sure what overall flavour or texture profile they were going for. Additionally I found the service a bit awkward. I accidentally arrived about twenty minutes before they closed. They didn't make their pending closing time very obvious and instead just treated me with a bit of hostility, hoping I'd leave I guess? I didn't figure out why they were so rude until I was leaving... at least a minute or two before their "official" closing time. There are definitely better choices in Gdansk (Bioway near the train station, for one).

Pierogarnia U Dzika: Plentiful Perogies

by Jetgirly Written Feb 9, 2013

Likes: A big plate with all different kinds of vegetarian perogies. Loves: A big plate with all different kinds of vegetarian perogies, artfully garnished with crispy-fried pork. Sometimes you've just got to laugh!

U Dzieka dedicates itself to perogies (and taxidermied boars). I asked for their mixed perogy plate to be served with some of their meatless choices, like "cottage cheese and potato", "cabbage and mushroom" and "cottage cheese, raisins and peach". Yes, I made it very clear that I am a vegetarian. And ss you can see I did receive a plate of eight perogies, all vegetarian... and topped with crispy pork! I just laughed, moved the pork to the side of my plate and dug in! Yum! With minimal dissecting I could identify the sweet perogies and save them for last- enjoying the woodsy wild mushrooms, creamy cheese and savory potato fillings before trying out berry-stuffed versions. My meal cost 21 zloty, which works out to about six US dollars.

I was stuffed with eight perogies but amazingly I noticed two teeny, tiny old Polish ladies at the table beside me eat TWENTY perogies- EACH! Oddly they both only drank half of their glasses of milk... I guess they were hydrated enough with all the melted butter on their plates! I'm not sure how many perogies you'll need to stay full, but I'd start with no more than eight per person!

Dwadzieścia Cztery Dania Bistro & Bar: International Bistro

Salad at Dwadzieścia Cztery Dania

When I arrived in Gdansk I was a bit under the weather and needed some healthy food to help my body get back in gear. I walked up and down the main tourist streets looking for something healthy and finally found Dwadzieścia Cztery Dania Bistro & Bar, which was serving up lots of internationally-inspired dishes on their cute outdoor patio and inside their trendy bar. As you can see I went for an Epic Vegetarian Salad- leafy greens, chickpeas, lentils, sundried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes and sprouts, with a nice balsamic vinegar. Finally, nutrients! Instead of accompanying my salad with a radler I went for a mug of warm herbal lemon-ginger "tea" with an orange slice. It soothed my sore throat and gave me a hit of Vitamin C, which I also needed! This restaurant has good options for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike, the patio offers good people-watching and the food is solid. If you're done with perogies, give it a try!

Instant Answers: Gdansk

Comments

Gdansk Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gdansk restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gdansk sightseeing.