Gdansk Tourist Traps

• Dlugi Targ, most beautiful street in Gdansk
    Dlugi Targ, most beautiful street in...
    Lighthouse Museum
    by briantravelman
  • World's first battery powered lighthouse light.
    World's first battery powered...

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Gdansk

The worst ban ever!

by matcrazy1 Written Oct 26, 2005

THE BAN I DO HATE MOST WHILE I TRAVEL

Do you like this sign? I hate it. I can accept a crossed out flash but not a camera unless the sign is put for security reasons (in a military zone for example). In Gdansk, I've found the ban on taking pictures in the Uphagen's House, the History of Gdansk Museum (the Main Town Hall) and in the Artus Court.

Unique Suggestions: I first look at behaviour of other visitors, whether they take pictures and whether they use small, hidden cameras (my recommendation), a camera flash or a tripod (not my recommendation). I follow them and pay attention to the reaction of the museum staff. I never use any illegally taken picture for commercial use. In the Artus Court noone paid attetion to me when I took pictures (with no flash). Honestly, I have noticed the ban sign at the end of my visit. Lucky me :-).

In countries/states of tight law and strong law enforcement (the USA) better follow the ban. At some places you have to sign the statement (once I was forced to sign it to buy a ticket to a gallery) that you was informed and understood the ban.

I always smiled when I saw fast moving Asian visitors (Japanese?) with small cameras taking forbidden pictures as quick as they could in, say, Louvres Museum. I've learned a lot from them ;-).

Fun Alternatives: Skip the place with the ban.
    Write or e-mail a complaint letter about the ban to the authorities or local tourist organisation.
    What about establishing AABOP - Association Against Ban On Photography? Any wiser name?

• Museum Visits

Indian show

by matcrazy1 Updated Oct 24, 2005

INDIAN IN GDANSK

I always look for and expect to see local culture in the heart of any old town, I visit. Unfortunatelly, instead of Gdansk culture, I could easily see and hear a few Indians doing a show in the main, representative square of Gdansk, that was the Long Market (Dlugi Targ). The Indians were playing Indian music and dancing and surely they collect money from the spectators.

Unique Suggestions: Ignore the show like I did. E-mail a complaint letter to the Mayor of the City of GdaƱsk (prezydent@gdansk.gda.pl) that you would prefer to see Polish local show instead of Indian one in the heart of Gdansk. Thus the mayor should refuse the application of the Indians for doing a show in the old town next time.

Fun Alternatives: Keep smiling and dream about the next trip to a real homeland of the Indians (I would like to visit Peru and Bolivia).

• Hiking and Walking

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Parking lot closed at night!

by matcrazy1 Updated Sep 24, 2005

PARKING LOT OF MADISON SHOPPING MALL

I arrived to Gdansk for the concert of Jean Michel Jarre by my car. It was a few hours to its beginning but I couldn't find any place on a street to park my car at a distance of 1 km from the gates to the concert. So, I was very lucky when I found a covered parking lot on my picture. I took the parking ticket at the entrance happy to find surprisingly almost empty parking lot. The people from another, just parked, car asked me where to go for the concert. I checked the price of the parking which was OK (2 first hours for free!).

After midnight I came back and... the gate to the parking was closed. The writing by the entrance gate which i didn't read before (my mistake!!!) said that they were open till 10.00 pm - it was the parking lot of Madison shopping mall which I didn't know. Hmm... I am always more careful traveling abroad... Oh my God... what to do? Meanwhile the next happy faces started to come to take their cars hidden behind the close gate and their faces changed in a minute. Luckily the three Madison's security guards came and they were very kind and opened the gate for us, the only problem was that they didn't have a change.

Unique Suggestions: Try to call security guards or wait for them (smile to security cameras :-) and... do hope they are as kind as in my case. Have a change ready.

Keep smiling and... look for good nightlife (pubs and night clubs) till the morning (do not drink alcohol to be able to drive a car in the morning) or look for any accommodation (impossible in my case, no vacancy, all accommodations were fully booked long before the concert), go to sleep on a bench at Gdansk railway station (not my recommendation). Well, I would choose the first option.

Fun Alternatives: Whenever you park a car on guarded parking lot check opening hours. These located by shopping malls and supermarkets are usually (always?) close at night.

• katmag's Profile Photo

Street performers

by katmag Updated Aug 18, 2003

There are tons of street performers in Gdansk! If you stop to look at them, you should really give them money. It's only right, so choose wisely. Some of them really are entertaining though, and you can see how much effort they put into it. Some of these street performers rely completely on this job for their income and I feel better about giving these people money than giving it to bums because they really make an effort.

Instant Answers: Gdansk

Comments

Gdansk Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Gdansk tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gdansk sightseeing.