Katowice Local Customs

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Hospitality

by tini58de Updated Jul 8, 2007

my wonderful Polish family

The hospitality that I experienced in Silesia was absolutely awesome!

My Polish family did EVERYTHING for me - they invited me to stay at their house, I even had a room to myself, they invited me to dinner and made the most delicious breakfast and lunch, they showed me around and gave me so many presents that I had to buy a larger suitcase!!!

Other people who I met at the bone marrow meeting were very friendly and sweet, something that I had not really expected! They came up to me to talk to me, they even tried to speak German - so there was no such thing like a Polish-German antipathy!

I really felt so welcome there - thank you - dziękuję za wszystko!

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Silesian folklore

by tini58de Written Jul 4, 2007

I was fortunate to see a performance by the group "zespol Slask". They danced and sang a whole variety of Silesian folk songs and dances and wore different beautiful costumes! All the costumes were hand-made and embroidered - absolutely awesome!

The men's costumes were basically miners' costumes, since Silesia is a mining area, but the girls' costumes had the most beautiful skirts, blouses, scarfs, belts and hats - and very diverse, too, depending on which area of Silesia the songs and costumes were from!

If you ever have a chance to see this group or any other folklore group, do try to go see them!

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo

Grey City...?

by ZiOOlek Written Jun 20, 2006

Katowice is said to be a grey city... Maybe it is one of the less colorfull city in Poland but during summer months you may find some good examples of places that are full of colors... I love such places and visit them often.:) In the picture you may see a carpet of flowers just in the main market square...

• arantha's Profile Photo

Periodic entertainments in Katowice

by arantha Written Nov 6, 2005

The list of things Katowice are famous of ;-)

- Rawa Blues Festival - the biggest indoor blues festival in the world

- Metalmania - the biggest heavymetal festival in the Central Europe
    see the official web site

- Mayday Festival - like Love Parade, one of the oldest and most reputed electronic music festivals
    see the official web site

- Ogólnopolski Festiwal Sztuki Rezyserskiej "Interpretacje" - Polish festival of theatrics

- Miedzynarodowy Festiwal Orkiestr Wojskowych - International Military Bands Festival

- Miedzynarodowa Wystawa Grafiki "Intergrafia " - International Graphics Exhibition

- Miedzynarodowy Konkurs Dyrygentów im. G. Fitelberga - The G. Fitelberg International Conductor Contest

• Carletto76's Profile Photo

Nice wall paintings

by Carletto76 Written Aug 18, 2004

In Katowice there are many scattered buildings, and also underways below the railway lines, so you will find quite a lot of murales paintings, and some of them are really nice, or at least curious, like this one! ;-)

Instant Answers: Katowice

Comments

Katowice Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Katowice local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Katowice sightseeing.