Silesian Theatre of Stanislaw Wyspanski
Silesian Theatre of Stanislaw Wyspanski was founded in 1907. Designed by Carl Moritz in modern style. For the first 15 years it used to be a German Theatre. When Silesia came back to Poland Polish Theatre began its avtivity in the building. The Theatre has currantly many international contacts and plays roles in such cities as: Moscow, Lviv, Paris, Vienna, Brussel or Stockholm.
Church of St. Michael Archangel
Church of St. Michael Archangel, that has been transported in 1930's to Katowice from the village of Syrynia. It is an all wodden small church that comes from 1510 and includes also a wooden bell tower.
In mostly industrial Katowice it is like an object from other world, hidden in Kosciuszko park among trees. No wonder it is quite a popular place for weddings nowadays.
- Historical Travel
Spodek is one of the best symbols of Katowice city. This is the biggest concert and sport hall in Poland. It was opened in 1971.
Such artists played in Spodek: Charles Aznawour, Susi Quatro, John Mayal, Eric Clapton, Drupi, Sting, Jean Michel Jarre, Chris Rea, Toto Cotugno, Clif Richard, Joe Cocker, Tina Turner, Brian Adams, Elton John, Dalida, Vanesa Mae, Deep Purple, Simple Red, Metallica, The Cure, Status Quo, Cocto Twins, Electic Light Orchestra, Genesis, Robert Plant i Jimmy Page, Sepultura, Black Sabbath, Kraftwerk, Saxon, Lokomotiv GT, Mike Oldfield, The Kelly Family, Rammstein, Iron Maiden, Robbie Wiliams, Depeche Mode.
From 2000 there is a Mayday technoparty every year in Spodek. Around 25 thousand people attend Mayday party!!!
- Study Abroad
Statue of John Paul II
After the death of the pope John Paul II members of Katowice government decided to build a statue to commemorate the pope who is became a honorary habitant of the city of Katowice. John Paul II visited Katowice in 1983... The statue costed 190 thousand PLN and was founded in June 2006.
The statue was deisgned by Gustaw Zemla and it is a kind of copy of the statue of John Paul II from the capital of Urugway - Montevideo. Moreover, the city of Katowice bought a square, called "John Paul II square", in front of the statue for a price of 900 thousand PLN and plan to take care of it.
Church of St. Peter and Paul
The church under the invocation of Saint Apostols, Peter and Paul. It was built in 1898-1902 and designed by a diocesan architect, a councillor Jozef Ebers from Wroclaw. Neo-Gothic, brick three nave, basilican on the Latin cross view, with one tower facade. The church is an example of how to use the decorative and colouristic possibilities of the brick decorated with mouldings and the glazed one can be used, both indoors and outdoors. The following objects have been preserved from the original Neo- Gothic furnishings: figural and ornamental stained-glass windows from 1902, the Neo-Romanesque baptismal font from 1903, made at Henryk Mrowtz's workshop, and two wooden Neo-Gothic figures of saints St. Franciscan and St. Anthony. Figures of saints, St. Paul and St. Peter, coming from the original church high altar were placed in the porch under the tower. In the southern-western side chapel, there are sepurchral plates of bishops Arkadiusz Lisiecki (died in 1930), Teofil Bromboszcz (died in 1937) and the capltular vicar Filip Bednorz (died in 1954) in the floor.
Near the church there are: a presbytery designed by J. Ebers in 1899-1900, Neo-Gothic; the Union House at present a convent of servant sisters' of the Holy Virgin Mary designed by Albert Kohler in 1815-1816, modernist, plastered, made of brick. In the church square there is a sculpture of Pieta, a cast from artificial stone form 1913, funded by Johann Adamietz and Peter Kubinski. In the presbytery garden, in 1985-1990 a convent and a chapel of the barefooted Carmelitess, designed by Krystian Laska, were built.
- Religious Travel
3-go Maja, Sokolska, Gliwicka, S¹dowa i Matejki street meet at Wolnosci square. There is a monument of Red Army Soldiers in the middle of the square (in the pictures). There is also a fountain called aquarium founded in 2000. The fountain is working from 6 am to 10 pm, but probably only during summer months...
Frog in Stawowa Street
A frog in Stawowa street is one of the most famous thing among people who live in Katowice. The frog is located in one of the most crowded street in the city. The street is reserved only for people. Yo can't get there by car.:)
The frog is known as a meeting point or just a place where there are lots of flowers' sellers during summer months...
Monument of Scouts of September
The monument commemorates scouts who died in 1939 - 1945 fighting for Silesia Region... It was designed by artist Zygmunt Brachmanski and architect Michal Kuczminski. The monument was built in November 1983.
Monument of Polish Soldier
The monument was designed by an artist Bronislaw Chromy and inż. architect Jerzy Pilitowski. It was errected on October 6, 1978. The information sign informs about the fightening places from Warld War II.
New regional branch of National Bank of Poland
A new regional branch of National Bank of Poland was opened on April 12, 2006. It is located at the place where used to be a villa of one of fathers of the city, rich businessman - Friedrich Wilhelm Grundmann.
All construction work lasted about 2 and a half year until opening. The total cost of the investition was 50 million PLN. The buidling is one of the most moder in Katowice. It is equipped with the newest security system and service system (i.e. to count money). There are four floors and two underground levels.
Old regional branch of National Bank of Poland
The building belonged to the National Bank of Poland (Narodowy Bank Polski - NBP). In May 2006 the president of NBP - prof. Leszek Balcerowicz - signed an agreement with the University of Silesia in Katowice. According to the agreement, National Bank of Poland gives the building as a gift to the University of Silesia.
The building was built in 1911 in neo-classical style.
Silesian Insurgents Monument
One of the best designed Polish monuments, very well exposed. A harmonious combination of the architecture and the sculpture, an appropiate symbolism - the wings symbolize the three Silesian uprisings 1919-1920-1921, on the vertical slopes names of places - battlefields. Funded by people from Warsaw for Upper Silesia. It is considered to be a landmark of the town.
It was designed by G. Zemla in 1967; sculpture by W. Zablocki. The monument is probably the biggest and the heaviest in Poland.
Grunwaldzki Square is located between Sokolska, Morcinka and Korfantego streets. This is really nice place to take some rest and what is more the square is located in the centre of the city.
The most important monument at the square is a fountain called: Olimplic Fountain. The fountain is open from 7 a.m till 9 p.m. with some technological breaks... The fountain has a rounded shape and a diameter of five and a half metres. There are four wings - four metres high - on which the `fountain plate` is lying....
An Artists' Gallery is located in one of squares of Katowice, in the city centre but most people do not know about the place.
The gallery comemorates vital people of culture and art who worked in Katowice or just their work was connected to Upper Silesia Region. In fact, the open - air gallery is not complited yet. There are three monuments right now (May 2006).
There are monuments of: Pawel Steller - artist, painter; Karol Stryja - director of Silesian Filharmony in Katowice and Zbigniew Cybulski - actor.
An old railway station
An old railway station was built in 1896-1906. In 1972 was replaced by the new railway station, built close to the old one. The building is in secession style and it used to be one of the biggest and most beautiful railway stations in Poland (between world wars). The old building seems to be much nicer than the new one.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates