Poznan Restaurants

My sandwich with pork and fries
    by HORSCHECK
  • Restauracja Rooster: Lipton Ice Tea Peach
    Restauracja Rooster: Lipton Ice Tea...
    by HORSCHECK
  • Restaurants
    by bonio

Most Recent Restaurants in Poznan

• jonathanbarker's Profile Photo

Liberum Veto (Pijalna): A local pub in Poznan

by jonathanbarker Written Aug 5, 2012

I was visiting Poznan in August and looking for a place to have an evening drink. I was walking along Zydowska ulica, when I heard POLISH (contemparary) music coming out through the door, so I entered & was made welcome by the bar maid, who was a student and spoke/understood English. I tried the local beer, Midowe Lubiskie & Specjal Jasny Pelny, and I enjoyed the company of the locals I returned the following evening.

Favorite Dish: I only tried the beers, Midowe Lubiskie (made with honey) and Specjal Jasny, but was very impressed with them. The prices were lower than those charged by the touristy pavement cafe/bars in Rynek

• Singles
    • Study Abroad
    • Beer Tasting

Brovaria: Brovaria

by bonio Written Apr 16, 2012

Brewery restaurant and also our hotel, so, guaranteed a visit! Having to pass by one of the bars to reach our room proved impossible to us most times, actually several visits!
    Anyway it's a smart place with several areas to choose from, particularly enjoyed the upstairs part ourselves.
    Food we tried was pretty good, Mrs B loved the mushrooms as ever and the beer brewed just behind us certainly up to scratch. Tried both a pils and honey beer, the latter very like a märzen, enjoyed!

• bonio's Profile Photo

Chatka Babuni: Pirogi heaven!

by bonio Written Apr 16, 2012

Pretty much everything on the menu here is pierogi, now that's good for us!
    Both had fantastic meals here, I didn't know there were so many fillings to choose from, finally went for chicken curry, lovely!
    Very busy on our Sunday evening visit, so, looks a very popular lpace and rightly so, enjoyed ourselves here.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Ceska Hospoda: Good Czech food (and beer)

by bonio Written Apr 13, 2012

Now, I don't suppose that Poznan is the obvious place to try Czech cooking! This restaurant on the edge of the city centre is a great place to visit.
    Unusually for us we visited twice, we rarely go back to anywhere, and enjoyed our food each time. Vegetarian goulash with dumplings is terrific.
    Also has a large and interesting wine list but as both our visits were at lunch time we went for a decent unfiltered Czech beer, Bernard, which certainly was good too.
    Comfortable and very friendly place, menu in English (other languages too) and reasonable prices.
    If I lived in Poznan this could well be my local!

Pieprz & Wanilia: Pieprz & Wanilia

by bonio Written Apr 11, 2012

Pieprz & Wanilia, lovely, busy, restaurant and good tasty food, just out of the city centre and discovered by accident - often the best places are!
    It's downstairs and very comfortable we thought.
    Good veggie choices for Mrs B and a large chicken steak for me served with potatoes and fantastic fresh vegetables.
    Wish we had room for a dessert, they looked really tempting but...
    Enjoyed our short visit here.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Rozmaitosci

by HORSCHECK Updated Apr 4, 2011

Pizzeria Rozmaitosci

As Poland is a very Catholic country, we had to realise that most restaurants, especially Polish ones, were closed over Easter. So the choice to dine was very limited.

The Pizzeria Rozmaitosci was among the places which were open over Easter and as it looked appealing to us we decided to give it a try.

It consists of only one small room with about 5 tables and a bar. On warm days two additional tables are available outside on the pavement. Everything is a little bit cramped, due to the limited space.

The menu offers a wide variety of pizzas (32 cm) and pasta dishes as well as a small selection of meat and fish dishes. I finally decided for a pizza Lucciola with ham, onions, tomatoes and oregano.

Surprisingly enough, the pizza came with a normal knife instead of a special pizza knife. Nevertheless, it was yummy and with 24,50 Zloty reasonably priced. To drink I had a big Tyskie beer (8 Zloty).

• Trains

• Gospoda Mlynskie Kolo: Excellent

by MrOscar Updated Dec 2, 2010

The Decorated Entrance for Christmas

It is a wooden mansion actually but the restaurant serves traditional food taste amazingly delicious... What I have tasted was well cooked Beef with some garlic sauce and cheese ( I am actually not a cheese lover) but perfect taste.... Potatoes were yummy...I appreciate the cook for nice food, the girl who has served was kind and friendly... Traditional Polish style decoration where plenty of seats comfortably...

• Architecture

Warung Bali: Superb Indonesian food near Stary Rynek

by SWFC_Fan Updated Aug 2, 2010

Warung Bali Indonesian Restaurant, Poznan

My girlfriend and I ate at Warung Bali one afternoon during our visit to Poznan in May 2010.

This Indonesian restaurant received a glowing recommendation in our “In Your Pocket” guidebook and, as we’re always keen to sample new cuisines, we decided to give it a try.

Warung Bali enjoys a central location, on Ul Zydowska, just a few steps from Stary Rynek, the city’s main square.

A lot of effort has been made to furnish and decorate the interior in traditional Balinese style. There are straw table mats, flowers and candles on the tables, large decorative fans and ornate wooden carvings and decorations galore on the windows and walls.

The restaurant wasn’t very busy when we arrived, although this might have been due to the fact that we were eating early (around 5pm). The friendly and attentive staff showed us to a table and presented us with menus that showed the Indonesian name of the dish, followed by descriptions in both Polish and English along with accompanying photos. This made it much easier for us to choose from the various unfamiliar sounding dishes on offer.

With the aid of the translations and photos, many of the dishes were more familiar than we first imagined. The starters selection included Indonesian spring rolls (vegetarian, meat and shrimp options), beef and coconut soup, fried dumplings and calamari in chilli sauce. Main dishes included chicken, beef and rabbit satay and a variety of chicken/beef/pork/prawn options in sweet and sour, black pepper and Padang sauces, accompanied by rice or noodles, vegetables and Indonesian crackers.

The full menu (complete with pictures) is available in PDF format on the restaurant’s website HERE.

I opted for:

”Mie Goreng Spesial" - Cost: 32 Zl / 7 GBP

A large portion of fried noodles containing egg, chicken, beef, large prawns and vegetables.

This was accompanied by two very tasty skewers of chicken satay in an extremely peanuty sauce, as well as strands of omelet, Indonesian crackers and a mixture of cucumber and chillis. It was also accompanied by a tasty substance that I didn’t recognise. It’s something that I’ve had in Asian restaurants before, often sprinkled on seaweed, is brown, sweet and has a texture somewhere between ground ginger and candy floss. When we asked the waitress, she referred to it as “sweet beef”, but I haven’t been able to ascertain its real name.

This was a very enjoyable dish. The food was well cooked and there were plenty of contrasting tastes to enjoy.

For dessert, I had:

”Rujak” - Cost: 18 Zl / 3.5 GBP

This was described on the menu as Balinese fruit salad with chilli palm sugar.

The contrasting flavours of hot chilli and fresh fruit really appealed to me.

The waiter asked whether I would like it spicy or VERY spicy. Would I like it “European spicy” or “Asian spicy”? The gauntlet had been thrown down, so I told him I’d go for the latter; the spicier the better!

As I waited for it to arrive, I started to question the wisdom of that decision. After my first mouthful, I was really beginning to wish I hadn’t acted with such bravado! The spicy chilli sauce numbed my tongue and brought tears to my eyes. I soon got used to it though and managed to eat the whole dish full. Underneath the potent chilli sauce were copious amounts of pineapple, mango, kiwi, melon and watermelon.

This dessert was (quite literally!) breathtaking. I would highly recommend anybody visiting Warung Bali to give it a try…and to tell the waiter you want it spicy!

Warung Bali offers a great choice of soft drinks, fresh fruit juices, beers, wines and hot beverages. The choice of beers includes bottled Indonesian, Thai and Singaporean beers, but I opted instead for a 500ml draught Tyskie at 7 Zl / 1.50 GBP.

Emma opted for:

”Ayam Asam Manis - Cost: 24 Zl / 5 GBP

Chicken in a sweet and sour sauce, accompanied by steamed rice, Indonesian crackers and mixed vegetables.

”Lemper Kelapa” - Cost: 15 Zl / 3 GBP

Coconut rice wrapped in palm leaves. Three large palm leaves crammed full of sweet, sticky, coconut-flavoured rice.

Emma enjoyed this at first, but it became a little sickly after a while. I tried it and would agree that it is best eaten in small quantities. Very nice, but only in moderation.

If you asked Emma her favourite thing about this restaurant, I could almost guarantee that she would tell you that it was the ”Teh Tarik”: Malaysian pulled tea (Cost: 8 Zl / 1.60 GBP) that she had to drink. This concoction of black tea and condensed milk is “pulled” between two containers to make it frothy and to help cool it down. It tasted similar to a chai latte.

We asked the waitress where we could get hold of some Malaysian pulled tea, but she informed us that they had imported it from neighbouring Germany.

Excellent Indonesian food in the heart of Poznan. I strongly urge you to try the fruit salad with chilli sauce, while Emma would no doubt insist that you sample the Malaysian pulled tea. Highly recommended!

• chewbacca1975's Profile Photo

Cacao Republika: The Right Place To Cacao !

by chewbacca1975 Written Jul 20, 2010

This cafe was one of the top 3 places I've ever been. I can still feel the taste in my mouth. I'd like to thank my Polish friend Solveig who brought me here. You can find tens of cacao based drinks and strudels with affordable prices.

• chewbacca1975's Profile Photo

Avanti: Remarkable Atmosphere

by chewbacca1975 Written Jul 20, 2010

The decoration inside is worth to see. Especially, the downstairs area is impressive. it's called "grill cellar". The service is high quality and the menu is rich and the manu paper is something like "imperial edict".

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Post Office Cafe: Japanese cuisine in a Post Office!

by SWFC_Fan Written Jun 13, 2010

Post Office Cafe, Poznan

We ate lunch at Post Office Café on the final day of our stay in Poznan in May 2010.

This small, friendly and quirky café is located on Stary Rynek, at the end of a colourful row of burgher houses right at the foot of the town hall.

There are a host of outdoor tables with great views of the square, but on this overcast and drizzly day we decided to sit indoors. There is a small dining area at ground level, and a larger underground dining room.

As Poznan’s cafes go, the Post Office café is rather unusual in two respects:

Firstly, (and not altogether surprisingly given its name!), it doubles up as an actual Post Office. You can purchase stamps from the main counter and post your postcards in the large post box.

Secondly, the menu consists predominantly of Japanese cuisine. Choices include miso soup, udon noodles, yaki soba noodles, Okonomiyaki (Japanese omelettes), Tonkatsu (pork cutlets) and Kare Raisu (Japanese curry rice).

As well as the Japanese options, there is a choice of salads and a couple of set menu lunch options featuring sandwiches and a drink. There is also a breakfast menu including English, French and Continental breakfasts and a variety of styles of eggs.

Emma and I opted for Soup of the Day (8 Zl / GBP 2.00) to start:

We asked what flavour the day’s soup was, but the friendly young waitresses couldn’t remember the English translation. They told us that it was “a green vegetable, larger than a cucumber” and then hit upon the idea of asking one of the chefs to bring one out to show us. We ascertained that it was a courgette and went ahead and ordered some. There was only enough courgette left for one more bowl, so we shared it. It was warm and tasty and topped with melted cheese, but inexplicably it was served without any bread.

We’d both decided that we’d have Okonomiyaki (18 Zl / GBP 4.00) for our mains:

Okonomiyaki is best described as a Japanese omelette or pancake, produced from cabbage and eggs and usually containing some form of meat or seafood. I’d become quite fond of Okonomiyaki during a trip to Osaka (the birthplace of Okonomiyaki) in November 2008, so I was intrigued as to how this Polish variation would compare.

It was very good, and certainly comparable in taste and quality to the authentic Japanese ones that I’d enjoyed. The Post Office Café’s version is produced from cabbage, eggs, cheese and bacon and topped with Okonomiyaki sauce and mayo.

There are a range of soft drinks, hot beverages, beers and wines on the menu; I opted for a Sprite and Emma had a mango tea.

Tasty Japanese food in this unique café-come-Post Office! Recommended!

Wiejskie Jadlo: Traditional Polish food in a farmer's kitchen

by SWFC_Fan Updated Jun 13, 2010

Interior at Wiejskie Jadlo

My girlfriend and I ate at Wiejskie Jadlo one evening during our visit to Poznan in May 2010.

We were looking for somewhere to enjoy traditional Polish food and our “Poznan In Your Pocket” guidebook referred to this place as “the definitive local dining experience”.

Wiejskie Jadlo is located on the city’s main square, Stary Rynek, but it still took us a while to find it! We walked around the edge of the square and located the correct address, number 77, but found that this was in fact a restaurant by the name of Fenix. We assumed at first that the guidebook was outdated and that the restaurant had changed hands, but then we noticed that the building was subdivided and that Wiejskie Jadlo was actually accessed via an entrance on the side street of ul. Franciszkanska.

It was raining heavily that evening and we’d already been soaked through while trying to locate another restaurant in our guidebook, so we were happy to get inside. The décor was very welcoming and would be best described as being reminiscent of a farmer’s kitchen. There were wooden floorboards, wooden picnic-style tables and benches and small windows with bright flowers on their sills. The walls were painted in a bright sky blue and there were further colourful flowers dotted around the various tables. One corner of the dining room featured a mock pantry, with cooking utensils and artificial sausages, garlic, bread and cheeses hanging above a stove. Despite the miserable weather outside, the interior was warm and cheerful and it didn’t take much effort to imagine sun-drenched fields outside those small windows.

The menu, in both Polish and English, featured an impressive array of Polish cuisine, including a variety of soups, dumplings, cabbage, sausages and pork dishes. The emphasis was very much on heavy, hearty, carnivorous food.

As we perused the menu, the friendly waiter brought over a complimentary plate of sliced bread, lard and pickled gherkins. Despite being on a health kick this year, it would have been rude to refuse such hospitality, so I spread a little of the pork fat onto a slice of bread and found it to be very tasty.

I ordered a 500ml draught Lech beer (7 Zl / GBP 1.60) and Emma had a soft drink.

Even before deciding which restaurant to dine in that evening, both Emma and I had already decided that we’d start off with Polish soup served inside a bread roll. It was the thought of this hot soup that kept us going as we trudged through the rain soaked streets looking for a place to eat. There were a handful of soups to choose from, some served in a bowl and others served in a bread roll, but we both opted for:

Rye soup with sausage and potatoes, served in a bread roll - Cost: 12 Zl / GBP 2.75

We’d both eaten a similar soup before in Wroclaw, so we knew what to expect. This soup lived up to our expectations; it was hot, tasty and packed full of chunky sausage slices and diced potatoes. It was served inside a huge, thick, crusty bread roll.

It took a while, but we both devoured it. I would warn that this is a very filling starter (it really is a meal in itself!) and my appetite was already on the wane by the time the main course arrived.

Knowing that I wouldn’t want too heavy a main course after the soup, I had the foresight to avoid the mixed grill and pork knuckle options and instead, both Emma and I ordered:

Mixed Pierogi - Cost: 21 Zl / GBP 5.00

There were a variety of pierogi options on the menu; dumplings filled with meat, dumplings filled with sauerkraut, dumplings filled with vegetables…

The mixed pierogi gave us the opportunity to try several of these fillings. We each received a plate with around 15 such dumplings, drenched in grease and topped with onions. The four fillings of the mixed pierogi were meat (minced pork), sauerkraut, potato and cottage cheese. All were nice and tasty, but I struggled to eat them all and I don’t mind admitting that the hearty Polish cuisine got the better of me on this occasion!

Needless to say, we were in no fit state to even contemplate dessert!

Hearty Polish cuisine in a “farmer’s kitchen” just off Stary Rynek. Good value and huge portions of hearty traditional fare. Highly recommended!

• xdescendx's Profile Photo

Kriek Belgian Pub & Cafe: Great Belgian beer right in Poznan!

by xdescendx Written Jun 1, 2010

Kriek Belgian Pub & Cafe offers over 120 different Belgian beers and they each come in a custom glass made for that beer. They also have a menu with a great variety of snacks (fries-ice cream-Belgian pralines), teas and coffees.

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They will help you make a choice if you're unsure which of the 120 you want to try :) I can assure you that you won't be disappointed.

For those in need to be "connected"; they do have Wi-Fi access. I've also seen them playing football (soccer) on a PS3. Not seeing the controllers...I actually thought there was a live match...lol

Also, if you go up to the counter, they have a helpful Night/Day guide with a map (been to Poz 8-9 times and this is the first I've seen one of these) Very helpful!

Favorite Dish: My favorites were the Tripel Karmeliet and the Kwak

• Beer Tasting

• Madagaskar Restaurant & Cafe: the best steak's in Poznan

by Mati012 Written Nov 25, 2009
    Madagaskar poznan

Dou you want to feel warmth regardless of the season??? This special restaurant in the heart of Poznan Old Market Square offers wide range of tastes. You can enjoy some specialities of European and African cuisine. Cave-like interior, warm colours and plants create really cosy atmospheare. You can't miss it!

Favorite Dish: Sweet and spicy curry from shrimps and pineapple served with jasmine rice.
    "Jerk" pork with ginger mousse from plum and pineapple served with rice and red sidney beans.

• Kuchnia Chrisa: Amazingly new experience in taste in Poland

by artifischl Written Oct 24, 2009

I regulary visit the polish city Poznan to see friends of mine who are foodies like me. Unfortunately the amount of restaurants is big BUT a little boring in this town. Everywhere you find the same food, up to 100 dishes on the menu.
    So I was very surprised when they took me to a new place called "Kuchnia Chrisa" which is based in the Basement of the New Theater (Teatr Nowy) in Poznan. The owner, who I got introduced to by my friends is a half german half danish guy who came to poznan after falling in love to a polish actress.
    The Restaurant has several rooms, a great round bar and a cozy lounge, the lightning and the colors are discreet but friendly. On the first view the menu did not look sooo special, something like 20 dishes all together, but it contained some extras in usual dishes that made me curious. I was very hungry, so I decided for a Salad with grilled Goat cheese and "violet-blosom-topping" and for the main I have chosen a Beefsteak with balsamic reduction and marinated figgs.
    Both was amazing, which lead me to also have a desert, as they had a chocolate fondant with bluecheese (!) on the menu.

Favorite Dish: Even the Steak was one of the truely best ones I ever had and the combination with the figgs was amazing, I think, my favourite was the Chocolate Blue Cheese Fondant. When I racked through it with mz spoon, a warm little liquid chocolate sauce came out. the taste of the blue cheese was almost not recognizeable as something cheesy, but it left a light salty aftertaste in your mouth than was corresponding perfectlz with the chocolate.

Instant Answers: Poznan

Comments

Poznan Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Poznan restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Poznan sightseeing.