Poznan Restaurants

My sandwich with pork and fries
    by HORSCHECK
  • Restauracja Rooster: Lipton Ice Tea Peach
    Restauracja Rooster: Lipton Ice Tea...
    by HORSCHECK
  • Restaurants
    by bonio

Best Rated Restaurants in Poznan

Restauracja Kresowa

by HORSCHECK Updated Jul 25, 2009

Restauracja Kresowa

On our first evening in Poznan we found the Restaurant Kresowa more by chance than on purpose.

As I had read about it in a German guidebook at home, we spontaneously decided to give it a try.

Kresowa translates something like "lost eastern territories" and therefore they mainly serve Belarussian, Lithuanian and Ukrainian dishes.

The interior is equipped with dark wooden furniture and the walls are decorated with old black and white photos of former Polish cities, such as Lviv (nowadays: Ukraine). The ceiling is covered with caricatures of famous Polish people who have eaten here.

The menu is available in English, so I opted for a duck breast with apple pieces (30, 00 Zloty). Side dishes have to be ordered extra, e.g rice costs 4,00 Zloty. To drink I had a pint of local Lech beer (8,00 Zloty).

My meal was very yummy and the staff was friendly. I can really recommend a visit to this traditional restaurant, which to me didn't look like a tourist trap.

Pizzeria Rozmaitosci

by HORSCHECK Updated Apr 4, 2011

Pizzeria Rozmaitosci

As Poland is a very Catholic country, we had to realise that most restaurants, especially Polish ones, were closed over Easter. So the choice to dine was very limited.

The Pizzeria Rozmaitosci was among the places which were open over Easter and as it looked appealing to us we decided to give it a try.

It consists of only one small room with about 5 tables and a bar. On warm days two additional tables are available outside on the pavement. Everything is a little bit cramped, due to the limited space.

The menu offers a wide variety of pizzas (32 cm) and pasta dishes as well as a small selection of meat and fish dishes. I finally decided for a pizza Lucciola with ham, onions, tomatoes and oregano.

Surprisingly enough, the pizza came with a normal knife instead of a special pizza knife. Nevertheless, it was yummy and with 24,50 Zloty reasonably priced. To drink I had a big Tyskie beer (8 Zloty).

Coffeeheaven

by HORSCHECK Updated Jun 14, 2009

Inside Coffeeheaven

As we had some time to kill in the train station when we were waiting for our train to Gniezno, we decided to take a break in the Coffeeheaven Cafe.

We took a seat at the window facing the platforms, which was excellent for some train spotting.

Coffeeheaven is a chain of stylish cafes in Central Europe, including Poland, Czech Republic, Latvia, Bulgaria, Hungary and Slovakia.

They offer a wide range of hot and cold drinks as well as a variety of snacks from sandwiches and salads to cakes and confectionery.

I had a black tea (7 Zloty) and an apple muffin (5,90 Zloty), which was yummy. I especially liked the comfy armchairs and relaxed atmosphere of the place.

Restauracja Rooster

by HORSCHECK Updated Jul 25, 2009

Restauracja Rooster

On our second day we chose the Restaurant Rooster for our midday lunch.

The main reason why we went there, was the fact that its outside terrace was already in the sun, whereas terraces of other restaurants were still in the shade.

Apart from that it offered splendid views of the colourful merchant houses on the Old Market Square.

Rooster is an American style restaurant chain with branches in most bigger Polish cities. They mainly offer popular American dishes, but traditional Polish cuisine can be found on the menu as well.

As it was a sunny warm day the waitresses were dressed in red hot pants, which besides the sunny terrace also attracted the customers.

I ordered a sandwich with pork and fries for 19,90 Zloty and an iced peach tea for 5 Zloty. I must admit that my meal was nothing better than average; in fact it was almost tasteless. However, people obviously come here for the location and the waitresses and not for the food.

Nevertheless the staff was friendly and attentive. So I would go here again, but just for a drink and for the views.

Pizzeria Trattoria Presto

by HORSCHECK Updated Jul 26, 2009

My small Pizza Presto

Due to a lack of open restaurants over Easter we ate pizza for a second time on this short trip to Poznan.

Presto is a Polish franchise place with locations in Lodz, Plock and Belchatow.

The restaurant is located in a red brick vault, but also has a few tables on the outside terrace.

Beside a wide variety of pizzas, they also offer pasta dishes and other main courses. Their pizzas come in two sizes: Small (30 cm) and big (38 cm).

I decided for a small Pizza Presto (18 Zloty) and a big Tyskie beer (5 Zloty, special deal). Unfortunately, the service was a bit slow and the seats weren't too comfy, but the pizza was tasty and filling.

Restaurant Sioux Classic

by HORSCHECK Updated Jun 13, 2009

Sioux Classic: My steak dish

Sioux was established in 2003 in Poznan as a Polish chain of country and western style restaurants.

Usually I probably wouldn't go to such a place, but for some reason it was one of the few restaurants which were open over Easter.

Poznan has two Sioux restaurants, which are both located at the Old Market Square (Stary Rynek): Sioux City focuses on steaks, whereas Sioux Classic offers the full variety from typical American and Mexcian food to European cuisine.

We once visited the latter one. The wooden interior is decorated with all kinds of Wild West memorabilia.

All dishes are displayed with a photo in the menu. I opted for western style steak with potatoes and salad. I really can't complain about the food, also I must say that the staff was very friendly. So all in all our visit was better than expected.

Post Office Cafe

by HORSCHECK Updated Jul 26, 2009

Inside the Post Office Cafe

The Post Office Cafe seems to be one of the newer additions to Poznan's cafe scene.

The two-storey place has a small room on the ground floor and a much bigger room in the basement. The ground floor room is decorated with Royal Mail equipment from Great Britain such as a red letter box.

A few tables are located outside and offer great views of the Old Market Square. We only drank black tea here, which came in a pot.

Snacks and a selection of cakes are available as well.

Fever Club

by HORSCHECK Updated Jun 13, 2009

Inside Fever Club

The Fever Club is probably more a nightlife venue than a restaurant. However, they are open over lunchtime and have an outside terrace facing the Old Market Square (Stary Rynek).

As many other places were closed over Easter, we once visited the Fever Club for a late lunch.

The inside is decorated in a seventies style with orange walls and bar stools. There is a small dance floor at the back of the place.

To eat they offer a selection of sandwiches and snacks as well as a few main courses. The drink list is of course much longer.

I opted for a Sicilian stuffed chicken breast with baked potatoes and vegetables. The dish was surprisingly tasty and with 19,90 Zloty quite a bargain. Also the staff was very friendly.

• chewbacca1975's Profile Photo

Avanti: Remarkable Atmosphere

by chewbacca1975 Written Jul 20, 2010

The decoration inside is worth to see. Especially, the downstairs area is impressive. it's called "grill cellar". The service is high quality and the menu is rich and the manu paper is something like "imperial edict".

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Wiejskie Jadlo: Traditional Polish food in a farmer's kitchen

by SWFC_Fan Updated Jun 13, 2010

Interior at Wiejskie Jadlo

My girlfriend and I ate at Wiejskie Jadlo one evening during our visit to Poznan in May 2010.

We were looking for somewhere to enjoy traditional Polish food and our “Poznan In Your Pocket” guidebook referred to this place as “the definitive local dining experience”.

Wiejskie Jadlo is located on the city’s main square, Stary Rynek, but it still took us a while to find it! We walked around the edge of the square and located the correct address, number 77, but found that this was in fact a restaurant by the name of Fenix. We assumed at first that the guidebook was outdated and that the restaurant had changed hands, but then we noticed that the building was subdivided and that Wiejskie Jadlo was actually accessed via an entrance on the side street of ul. Franciszkanska.

It was raining heavily that evening and we’d already been soaked through while trying to locate another restaurant in our guidebook, so we were happy to get inside. The décor was very welcoming and would be best described as being reminiscent of a farmer’s kitchen. There were wooden floorboards, wooden picnic-style tables and benches and small windows with bright flowers on their sills. The walls were painted in a bright sky blue and there were further colourful flowers dotted around the various tables. One corner of the dining room featured a mock pantry, with cooking utensils and artificial sausages, garlic, bread and cheeses hanging above a stove. Despite the miserable weather outside, the interior was warm and cheerful and it didn’t take much effort to imagine sun-drenched fields outside those small windows.

The menu, in both Polish and English, featured an impressive array of Polish cuisine, including a variety of soups, dumplings, cabbage, sausages and pork dishes. The emphasis was very much on heavy, hearty, carnivorous food.

As we perused the menu, the friendly waiter brought over a complimentary plate of sliced bread, lard and pickled gherkins. Despite being on a health kick this year, it would have been rude to refuse such hospitality, so I spread a little of the pork fat onto a slice of bread and found it to be very tasty.

I ordered a 500ml draught Lech beer (7 Zl / GBP 1.60) and Emma had a soft drink.

Even before deciding which restaurant to dine in that evening, both Emma and I had already decided that we’d start off with Polish soup served inside a bread roll. It was the thought of this hot soup that kept us going as we trudged through the rain soaked streets looking for a place to eat. There were a handful of soups to choose from, some served in a bowl and others served in a bread roll, but we both opted for:

Rye soup with sausage and potatoes, served in a bread roll - Cost: 12 Zl / GBP 2.75

We’d both eaten a similar soup before in Wroclaw, so we knew what to expect. This soup lived up to our expectations; it was hot, tasty and packed full of chunky sausage slices and diced potatoes. It was served inside a huge, thick, crusty bread roll.

It took a while, but we both devoured it. I would warn that this is a very filling starter (it really is a meal in itself!) and my appetite was already on the wane by the time the main course arrived.

Knowing that I wouldn’t want too heavy a main course after the soup, I had the foresight to avoid the mixed grill and pork knuckle options and instead, both Emma and I ordered:

Mixed Pierogi - Cost: 21 Zl / GBP 5.00

There were a variety of pierogi options on the menu; dumplings filled with meat, dumplings filled with sauerkraut, dumplings filled with vegetables…

The mixed pierogi gave us the opportunity to try several of these fillings. We each received a plate with around 15 such dumplings, drenched in grease and topped with onions. The four fillings of the mixed pierogi were meat (minced pork), sauerkraut, potato and cottage cheese. All were nice and tasty, but I struggled to eat them all and I don’t mind admitting that the hearty Polish cuisine got the better of me on this occasion!

Needless to say, we were in no fit state to even contemplate dessert!

Hearty Polish cuisine in a “farmer’s kitchen” just off Stary Rynek. Good value and huge portions of hearty traditional fare. Highly recommended!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Post Office Cafe: Japanese cuisine in a Post Office!

by SWFC_Fan Written Jun 13, 2010

Post Office Cafe, Poznan

We ate lunch at Post Office Café on the final day of our stay in Poznan in May 2010.

This small, friendly and quirky café is located on Stary Rynek, at the end of a colourful row of burgher houses right at the foot of the town hall.

There are a host of outdoor tables with great views of the square, but on this overcast and drizzly day we decided to sit indoors. There is a small dining area at ground level, and a larger underground dining room.

As Poznan’s cafes go, the Post Office café is rather unusual in two respects:

Firstly, (and not altogether surprisingly given its name!), it doubles up as an actual Post Office. You can purchase stamps from the main counter and post your postcards in the large post box.

Secondly, the menu consists predominantly of Japanese cuisine. Choices include miso soup, udon noodles, yaki soba noodles, Okonomiyaki (Japanese omelettes), Tonkatsu (pork cutlets) and Kare Raisu (Japanese curry rice).

As well as the Japanese options, there is a choice of salads and a couple of set menu lunch options featuring sandwiches and a drink. There is also a breakfast menu including English, French and Continental breakfasts and a variety of styles of eggs.

Emma and I opted for Soup of the Day (8 Zl / GBP 2.00) to start:

We asked what flavour the day’s soup was, but the friendly young waitresses couldn’t remember the English translation. They told us that it was “a green vegetable, larger than a cucumber” and then hit upon the idea of asking one of the chefs to bring one out to show us. We ascertained that it was a courgette and went ahead and ordered some. There was only enough courgette left for one more bowl, so we shared it. It was warm and tasty and topped with melted cheese, but inexplicably it was served without any bread.

We’d both decided that we’d have Okonomiyaki (18 Zl / GBP 4.00) for our mains:

Okonomiyaki is best described as a Japanese omelette or pancake, produced from cabbage and eggs and usually containing some form of meat or seafood. I’d become quite fond of Okonomiyaki during a trip to Osaka (the birthplace of Okonomiyaki) in November 2008, so I was intrigued as to how this Polish variation would compare.

It was very good, and certainly comparable in taste and quality to the authentic Japanese ones that I’d enjoyed. The Post Office Café’s version is produced from cabbage, eggs, cheese and bacon and topped with Okonomiyaki sauce and mayo.

There are a range of soft drinks, hot beverages, beers and wines on the menu; I opted for a Sprite and Emma had a mango tea.

Tasty Japanese food in this unique café-come-Post Office! Recommended!

• chewbacca1975's Profile Photo

Cacao Republika: The Right Place To Cacao !

by chewbacca1975 Written Jul 20, 2010

This cafe was one of the top 3 places I've ever been. I can still feel the taste in my mouth. I'd like to thank my Polish friend Solveig who brought me here. You can find tens of cacao based drinks and strudels with affordable prices.

• sihi's Profile Photo

U kibicow na Malcie: Polish beer with juice

by sihi Written Jun 1, 2008

U kibicow na Malcie, Poznan

U kibicow na Malcie (with fans on Malta) is a cafe/pub on Malta lake rest complex. In summer part of cafe is in open air with nice views to lake Malta and Poznan city.

In summer is open 24h.

• Spa and Resort
    • Theme Park Trips
    • Seniors

• alancollins's Profile Photo

KAWIARNIA WERANDA: Charming cafe

by alancollins Written May 6, 2008

If you fancy a change from instant coffee in the Old Town Square give this café a try. Its called Weranda and its just off the Old Town Square. Bags of atmosphere with fresh brewed coffee. I tried a piece of cheese cake. The portion was so large I could barely manage to eat it all. It was garnished with chocolate, almonds, walnuts and sultanas. Not like the usual serving of cheese cake that you get served. The café was run by 2 ladies and at least one of them spoke english. It was a really pleasant and unexpected experience.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Sioux: Steak European Style

by BruceDunning Updated Nov 10, 2007

Front of restaurant

The food was good and the service satisfying. Servers speak enough English to get by, but it helps to know some Polish and point to what you want on the menu. A salad comes with the meals, and I had a soup that was good, also.
    I was told that this is a restaurant chain in some of Europe, and do recall it being a public company trying to expand, unless I am totally mistaken. Could be? Steak is the fare, and cowboy them is popular in Europe. John Wayne pictures are on the walls.

Favorite Dish: Most all they serve is steak and potatoes. The food was rather good, but I chose a higher quality of meat to insure it was not tough and tasteless. It can be that was in some of Europa.

Instant Answers: Poznan

Comments

Poznan Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Poznan restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Poznan sightseeing.